SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Protected bike lanes in LB

Now this is cool!

North Long Beach Bike Lanes Provide Safety For Riders | Entertainment | gazettes.com

Sometimes this "city by city" and even block by block approach to bike lanes is irritating because you get the now you see it, now you don't bike lanes, but I wouldn't mind seeing strategically placed bike lanes like this all over! And by all over, I mean in places where you can use them to actually get somewhere. I'm in Whittier - if I wanted to ride my bike downtown, it'd be ugly. Forget getting to Santa Monica or other points east. Long enough stretches of lanes like this and you might actually get people who aren't hard core to start commuting on a bike.
Old 08-19-16, 11:33 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

And then serendipity, here's a blog about bike lanes that aren't bike lanes... This is not a bike lane | Obesity Panacea

(I got these from the very excellent biking in LA blog)
Old 08-19-16, 01:12 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
It's better I guess, I like the protected section on the way to San Clemente, now that's a protected bike lane.
I had to chuckle about the bike lanes through manholes part, the north side of Laguna is horrible with those large grates/drains taking up about 2/3rds of the bike lane!

This appears to take up a lot of room which is fine if you have it, but too few cyclists ride to start removing car lanes and curbside parking for a handful of people. I don't believe the "build it and they will come", we've got carpool lanes all over the place but still only a small fraction of the people carpool. Now the idiots want to take away the carpool lanes we paid for and make them toll lanes.

It's Friday, don't get me started!

Last edited by HBCruiser1; 08-19-16 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-19-16, 01:52 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Ironic, because the carpool lanes are generally crowded during rush hour to the point where they are somewhat of an advantage but not a huge advantage. Of course, now you have to rent that damn transponder to use the carpool lane even if you HAVE a carpool, which is bunk. 3 people is a carpool now instead of 2. Sigh.
Old 08-20-16, 06:33 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Are bike lanes to be shared with skate boarders, joggers, etc? Is it to become some kind of MUP?
Old 08-20-16, 07:04 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Now this is cool!

North Long Beach Bike Lanes Provide Safety For Riders | Entertainment | gazettes.com

Sometimes this "city by city" and even block by block approach to bike lanes is irritating because you get the now you see it, now you don't bike lanes, but I wouldn't mind seeing strategically placed bike lanes like this all over! And by all over, I mean in places where you can use them to actually get somewhere. I'm in Whittier - if I wanted to ride my bike downtown, it'd be ugly. Forget getting to Santa Monica or other points east. Long enough stretches of lanes like this and you might actually get people who aren't hard core to start commuting on a bike.
+1 for a route that actually goes somewhere. Due to where I live and where I go, I'm frequently riding oblique angles to, or across a very nice MUP. I can imagine drivers stuck behind me on the sometimes narrow roads thinking, why doesn't this jacka** ride on the MUP. Actually, although not expressed verbally, I have been ran off the road and rolling coaled. The short answer is sometimes I do, but most of the time it doesn't go where I need to go; and even when I do use it I've got to get there. Do they think I'm going to drive my bike there?!!!!
Old 08-20-16, 01:09 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

MUPs are usually terrible bike paths though, what with the dogs, walkers, skaters and people generally meandering all over on them. Add in the awkward road crossings and it's worse. I do use parts of the whittier greenway trail in the late afternoon because the road I would other wise use puts me riding into the sun and near sunset I know drivers can't see anything.
Old 08-21-16, 05:40 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
About 4 years ago they installed something similar to those on Wardlow, the `54`. They initially had some thinner yellow flexible posts. Before too long they removed the posts and left things like shown in the photo.

I ride Wardlow and Studebaker (33) as part of an 8 mile loop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
protected-bike-lane-54.jpg (23.3 KB, 25 views)