Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I think this Specialized webpage promotes a bad image.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 02:15 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

OK, maybe just me. Maybe I'm just being a cranky young middle aged old guy. Maybe I'm a snob.

This image from Specialized, linked from a promotional email about the Sequoia, IMHO, presents a bad, sloppy public image of cycling and reflects poorly on the company. Specifically, the older man in the center, riding with open vest-shirt, whatever that strange looking printed garment is.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...GET%20INSPIRED

My opinion is that - Serious Cycling has an image. I'm not talking about kids riding around the neighborhood or the family who does 3 miles on Saturday on their $100 Wal-mart BSO's. I am thinking about those involved in it as a sport and a serious passion, who are the type of customers who would buy from a Specialized dealer. Or for that matter Cannondale, Fuji, Kestrel, Cervello ... any of the brands sold at a "real" bike shop or "real" online retailer. Not Walmart or Kmart or other "big box" stores.

So, we live in a society, in the US anyway, that does NOT like cyclists overall. Anecdotal evidence - the jeers, honks, insults we all face on the roads from "motorists". The ones who say "get off our roads" - even though we also (most of us) have cars, and pay the same taxes the non-cycling citizens pay.

I know, another thread about "how you look" versus "how you perform". Sorry. My opinion is - we need to be good ambassadors for the sport to help it thrive. Look the part, act the part, and promote its positives in a patient and respectful way. The industry won't thrive if younger generations don't take it up, and there is a LOT of competition out there, from popular sports like soccer to the tragedy of kids who live on junk food and play video games and get NO physical exercise, being set up for obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease, cancer.

I believe part of the allure of the sport is the appearance. I bristle when people refuse to wear helmets because they "look weird" or "stupid". Nothing is "cooler" for lack of a better phrase than a great helmet, matched with great kit and shoes. Doesn't mean you have to ride in team uniform if you're not on a team, but I believe in looking the part as well as acting the part. Doesn't mean that performance and ability don't come first, but appearance matters.

I have a white collar job -- what would my clients and co-workers in the firm think if I came into work dressed in ratty old clothes? Not a professinal image.

OK, off my soapbox, let the arguments begin.
Old 09-07-16, 02:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't think that particular ad is why a lot of people in the US look down on cyclists. (My theory is that there are a few reasons, but mainly the fact that as a driver you don't want to be "stuck" behind a cyclist.)

Also they're selling the bike based on lifestyle. Target consumer is obviously a middle aged man trying to extend his youth. Apparently that's who buys "all road" bikes. Look at the booze in this one:

Meet the 2016 GT Grade - Go Rogue!

Advertising isn't terribly important to me. I didn't see the GT marketing until after I'd already test rode and bought the bike.
Old 09-07-16, 02:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I too am a middle aged guy with a white collar job (which I commute to everyday on a bike) And I'm involved in cycling as a sport. I shave my legs year round. I have a powermeter and a training plan. I race road and CX, I'm on the board of my team, and the juniors coordinator. It's a serious passion. And what's more, my most recent bike purchase was a Tarmac from a Specialized dealer.

And I think this webpage is awesome. It shows friends out exploring this big wonderful world on bikes and having fun. Bikes are fun. Life is fun. Lighten up a little.
Old 09-07-16, 02:26 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
OK, maybe just me. Maybe I'm just being a cranky young middle aged old guy. Maybe I'm a snob.

This image from Specialized, linked from a promotional email about the Sequoia, IMHO, presents a bad, sloppy public image of cycling and reflects poorly on the company. Specifically, the older man in the center, riding with open vest-shirt, whatever that strange looking printed garment is.

My opinion is that - Serious Cycling has an image. I'm not talking about kids riding around the neighborhood or the family who does 3 miles on Saturday on their $100 Wal-mart BSO's. I am thinking about those involved in it as a sport and a serious passion, who are the type of customers who would buy from a Specialized dealer. Or for that matter Cannondale, Fuji, Kestrel, Cervello ... any of the brands sold at a "real" bike shop or "real" online retailer. Not Walmart or Kmart or other "big box" stores.

So, we live in a society, in the US anyway, that does NOT like cyclists overall. Anecdotal evidence - the jeers, honks, insults we all face on the roads from "motorists". The ones who say "get off our roads" - even though we also (most of us) have cars, and pay the same taxes the non-cycling citizens pay.

I know, another thread about "how you look" versus "how you perform". Sorry. My opinion is - we need to be good ambassadors for the sport to help it thrive. Look the part, act the part, and promote its positives in a patient and respectful way. The industry won't thrive if younger generations don't take it up, and there is a LOT of competition out there, from popular sports like soccer to the tragedy of kids who live on junk food and play video games and get NO physical exercise, being set up for obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease, cancer.

I believe part of the allure of the sport is the appearance. I bristle when people refuse to wear helmets because they "look weird" or "stupid". Nothing is "cooler" for lack of a better phrase than a great helmet, matched with great kit and shoes. Doesn't mean you have to ride in team uniform if you're not on a team, but I believe in looking the part as well as acting the part. Doesn't mean that performance and ability don't come first, but appearance matters.

I have a white collar job -- what would my clients and co-workers in the firm think if I came into work dressed in ratty old clothes? Not a professinal image.

I have a white collar job, actually own Specialized bikes, ride them, regularly, and see nothing, at all, wrong with that image. That's what guys my age look like on a hot day during a long ride. That's what my boss looks like, after lunch.

If I was selling high end bikes, those guys are my target market. College students, with chiseled bodies and no chest hair, can't afford my products.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about my clients seeing the attitude displayed in that post, than whether my jersey is zipped on a hot Saturday afternoon ride.
Old 09-07-16, 02:30 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Meh.

I thought your were going to complain about the guy in the CBGB inspired shirt. OMG, that was a club where they played music! And drank alcohol! Oh, the humanity!

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-07-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 02:30 PM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The invisible hands of capitalism will take care of whether it is a good marketing job or not.
if it sells bikes they did good, if not, they will yank it down.

If I am abiding by and riding within the confines of the law and "basic courtesy" then I am not worried about how I look. I am also not worried about how others perceive me, image wise.
I sometimes wear a black jersey with a skull on it. But I am courteous and I don't run little old ladies of the road.

I also do not think cycling has a negative image. Riding in a unsafe manner and blocking traffic is what will give cyclists a bad image. the only people looking at that Specialized ad are already cyclists, or interested in cycling, most likely.
Old 09-07-16, 02:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
My take on Specialized has nothing to do with their ads and everything to do about their attempts over the last few years to bully small companies who use words in their business names that Specialized also uses. This often backfires on them, and they have to retreat. Other than that, I like the ad, have no problem with an older guy showing his chest
Being a much older guy myself
Old 09-07-16, 03:11 PM
sea coil

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. . . My opinion is that - Serious Cycling has an image. I'm not talking about kids riding around the neighborhood or the family who does 3 miles on Saturday on their $100 Wal-mart BSO's. I am thinking about those involved in it as a sport and a serious passion, who are the type of customers who would buy from a Specialized dealer. Or for that matter Cannondale, Fuji, Kestrel, Cervello ... any of the brands sold at a "real" bike shop or "real" online retailer. Not Walmart or Kmart or other "big box" stores.
Looking down on cyclists who aren't "serious", only ride "3 miles on Sunday", get their bikes from Walmart , and other such snobbishness [see above quote] leads to bad attitudes toward "serious" cyclists who wear "kit", reinforces the popular stereotype of "serious" cyclists as pompous, preachy, uptight, spandex wearing geeks, and does nothing to stimulate widespread interest in bike riding or good public policy towards cycling. [see below quote]

Last edited by sea coil; 09-07-16 at 03:13 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-07-16, 03:25 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think "professinal" tips it more towards trolling
Old 09-07-16, 03:28 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think there are an equal number of people who think "Serious Cycling" is a messed up image.
Especially for people trying take up bicycling after living a long life doing other things.
If there is a problem with Specialized, it's because they sell themselves as an image, at all.

It can also be quite boorish to start up a conversation about bicycling and hear, oh, but so-and-so is a Serious cyclist, or have someone sneer down at you because you don't dress like them and ride a different bike that they don't understand.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-07-16 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 03:29 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Meh.

I thought your were going to complain about the guy in the CBGB inspired shirt. OMG, that was a club where they played music! And drank alcohol! Oh, the humanity!
My first thought as well.

On second glance, it's actually CBGV, which is apparently a hemp oil (CBGV: Cannabigerovarin)
Old 09-07-16, 03:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Pretty sure sleeveless is "wrong" for all cyclists other than triathletes. That open front sleeveless is beyond disgusting.
Old 09-07-16, 04:20 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Well for me neither "serious cyclist" kitted out in matching bike/bib/shorts/helmet/jersey or tatted up adventure cyclist are inclusive to me, so I will have to keep looking for people who look more like me!
Old 09-07-16, 04:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

)
Forgetting the man in the middle, I wanna know how they mispelled the club name on the guy on the right's shirt.. CBGV... huh?
Old 09-07-16, 04:37 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
DaveQ24,

I'm a conservative-leaning, white-collar IT job, bald-headed middle aged guy with a full head of hair and a training goatee and I have no problem with that ad.

Three guys out for a ride with their new bikes, socks, shoes, jerseys, helmets, etc. The guy on the left has some tats we can't make out, the guy in the middle has the muscled arms I wish I had and the guy on the right is, well, he's the young one who's trying to stay ahead of the two older guys.

Does it project the wrong image of cycling? Not in my opinion. What projects the wrong image of cycling are cyclists that don't obey the street signs, cut in and out of traffic, ride during rush-hour, run stop signs and red lights and give the one-fingered salute to any motorist that dislikes that bad behavior and think it's not cool to run lights at dusk and dawn.

I used to commute to my job also. I don't any more because we moved and I work out of the house now. I know how it is out on the road. And, commuting IS different than a rec ride. I saw the bad cyclists...and the bad motorists to.

That ad reflects reality not rainbows and unicorns. I think a lot of people who don't ride would look at that and say, "Hey, that's me. I can do that".

Take the time to watch that video. It's pretty good to...albeit, what's up with that guy at the end fishing with the mask on???? Weee-ird.

Last edited by drlogik; 09-07-16 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 04:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The apparent upper-body strength, especially on middle-aged cyclists, indicates Specialized is encouraging anabolic steroid abuse. The tattoos on the guy on the left indicate Specialized is trying to increase the hepatitis C epidemic, and in all three cases Specialized is clearly trying to promote skin cancer. I also think they are trying to discredit Volagi in there, somehow.
Old 09-07-16, 04:43 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Forgetting the man in the middle, I wanna know how they mispelled[sic] the club name on the guy on the right's shirt.. CBGV... huh?
No club name was misspelled.

https://www.bikeforums.net/19039831-post11.html
Old 09-07-16, 04:45 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OP needs to post a pic of himself in 'proper' cycling attire...

give the rubes and wankers something to emulate.
Old 09-07-16, 04:46 PM
CosmicF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whew, I'm glad people rose to defense of the ad, because after the OP I was starting to think that I wasn't "serious" enough to be on this forum.
The guy looks like he's having a blast to me. If I have to wear certain clothes to ride my bike in public, or have expensive shoes, or not let my chest hairs glisten in the sun... Ha ha, I'm glad that there's fun people on this forum also. I may like it here.
Old 09-07-16, 04:57 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I agree that everyone should consider him or herself as biking ambassadors and role models. I disagree that the photo is disrespectful to the sport or anyone else. Riding in causal clothes on a backroad with a bike designed for that kind of riding seems appropriate to me. They would look totally silly in spandex "kits" so I'm glad Specialized had the sense not to show them that way. I like the idea of moving the image of cycling away from the "racers" and more to average people.
Old 09-07-16, 05:01 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Three guys? Where are the women?

Replace the middle guy with a woman and I'd be happy.
Old 09-07-16, 05:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson

And there have to be at least 5 people, just so there can be at least 2 additional races represented.
Old 09-07-16, 05:27 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson

Watch the video and then get back to us.
Old 09-07-16, 05:44 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
that ad is a bad image for cyclists? ummm I think the OP's post is more of a bad image for cyclists
Old 09-07-16, 05:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Really? This is something (1) that you actually noticed and (2) caused you to even think about - let alone critique?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.