Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Recommendation: Home Base in Spain

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-20, 03:01 PM
oregonhusker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this elsewhere, but it was suggested I try here. My apologies if this is a repeat for you.

I'm looking for a town to call home in Spain from mid-March to mid-May. I'd like to live somewhere with lots of very small, lightly traveled country roads, with many small towns to explore. Something like what exists in many parts of France where every few kilometers you stumble on a town with a small town square, a cafe, a bakery, and a cathedral and they are connected by many narrow country roads. Preferably relatively flat. The reason: I have a one year old child and want to explore but within a 30ish km radius of home base. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
Old 03-11-20, 09:38 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I started in Lisbon and crossed into Spain near Rosal de le Frontera. Our route through Spain took us to Seville, Cordoba, Valentia, Barcelona, and north to the French border. While our route was not very straight it did not give me a feel for the density of small villages clustered around a larger town. There didn't seem to be towns spaced as close as 30 km (19 miles) in the Rosal de le Frontera to Valentia. portion of the route, but that was a "linear" perspective. We were there in late June and early July with temperatures reaching 43 C. Also, most of the towns "closed down" between I:00 pm and 6-7 pm. I don't think southern Spain would meet your criteria, but my wife thinks that Cordoba might have some possibities. One thing you might do is use Google Maps "Street View ", and check out the small villages around your potential home base. Cordoba might be a good place to try this.

Aracena--It seemed like most of the towns we stopped at were on a hill.

From Valencia to Barcelona is a nice ride but there are a lot of hills. You might look at Tarragona using Google Maps Street View to get a sense of the surrounding villages and the terrain. My wife played with Google maps a little and Taragona has some potential. We stayed there one night but did not venture far from the coast.

Good luck, and enjoy your rides.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-11-20 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 02:39 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
I'd recommend the Sevilla region, especially the western part up to spectacular Niebla where you have the terrain (flat) and the villages you're looking for (not to far apart). Another plus (besides Sevilla itself) is that you can easily explore the Guadalquivir valley by hopping on a train with your bike, south to Jerez and east to Cordoba.
Likes For CMAW:
Old 03-12-20, 03:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,553 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
I'd recommend the Sevilla region, especially the western part up to spectacular Niebla where you have the terrain (flat) and the villages you're looking for (not to far apart). Another plus (besides Sevilla itself) is that you can easily explore the Guadalquivir valley by hopping on a train with your bike, south to Jerez and east to Cordoba.
I suggested some of those in his other thread.