Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Discussion: Summer wicking base layer ...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-21-20, 09:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

The things I think about on a solo century when it's 90+F and over 60% humidity: Does a wicking base layer help with a high quality jersey? Or does a quality jersey do enough wicking to make the base layer superfluous?

For reference, I ride Podiumwear Gold kit, they promote this as a wicking material ... and Craft base layer

Old 08-21-20, 09:16 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Over the years I have found cycling specific clothes to be completely useless. I ride with the same clothes I use for cross-fit. Better made, cooler, better styling and much less expensive. So in answer to your question, the stuff for the gym is better at keeping you cool.
Old 08-21-20, 09:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
hanging that camelback over the large evaporative surface of your skin will undo what ever miracle properties the textile engineers may have created..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-21-20, 10:02 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
hanging that camelback over the large evaporative surface of your skin will undo what ever miracle properties the textile engineers may have created..
I won't ride with the CamelBak if I can carry enough water on bike, but when your in the middle of nowhere on a 90F day in the middle of a 240-mile race, you do not want to run out of water ... been there, done that. I may upgrade to a framebag to carry the CamelBak, but it's honestly not the problem you'd expect. If you haven't used a Camelbak, you'd be surprised by the quality of design and ability to manage air space on the body. This is the Lobo is use on ultra endurance rides - mesh to promote airflow with a foam rib back piece to create air flow between the CamelBak and your kit.

Old 08-21-20, 10:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I enjoy the climate moderation of my proximity ... to the north Pacific Ocean...
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-21-20, 10:12 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
The things I think about on a solo century when it's 90+F and over 60% humidity: Does a wicking base layer help with a high quality jersey? Or does a quality jersey do enough wicking to make the base layer superfluous?

For reference, I ride Podiumwear Gold kit, they promote this as a wicking material ... and Craft base layer
Take a read at this article: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1...-in-the-summer

Whether or not the jersey by itself will help with sweat wicking depends on the manufacturer. Some manufacturers optimize their jerseys for aero, print adhesion, or other factors before they consider sweat wicking. Then, those same companies will make a base layer to supplement their jerseys' sweat wicking & evaporation capabilities. In those cases, they get to sell you two pieces of kit instead of just one; interpret that however you want.

Other manufacturers put sweat wicking & evaporation as a higher priority, and their jerseys will be perfectly fine to wear without a base layer. IME, I have not seen any reliable way to determine if a given jersey will work better with a base layer, as most companies seem to offer a base layer regardless of the claims they make about their jerseys. I prefer a base layer because I'm more comfortable wearing one than not. YMMV.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-21-20, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I had seen a daypack with a frame to tension the mesh and have a physical air space separation. with the load carrying bag ..

My last long tour I got a wicking mesh singlet, and added a sewn on tunnel pocket across the lower back

and had an Ortlieb made Money bag for my passport Debit Card, * return ticket Etc.. in that sleeve..

*no cash advance charges even abroad, in other currencies, unlike a credit card..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-21-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 10:27 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
I don't think I've seen any pros in races like the tour of France wear any wicking base layers, and it gets silly hot. Also they'll start low and climb into the mountains, often you'll see their jerseys open with no base layer. Then immediately after the race they'll get wrapped in warm attire. You'd think this would be a good time to wear that extra under layer but they don't, so that's my thoughts.

For me I'll forgo the jersey and just wear under armour long sleeve shirts, especially in the conditions you describe.
Old 08-21-20, 10:38 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I don't think I've seen any pros in races like the tour of France wear any wicking base layers, and it gets silly hot. Also they'll start low and climb into the mountains, often you'll see their jerseys open with no base layer. Then immediately after the race they'll get wrapped in warm attire. You'd think this would be a good time to wear that extra under layer but they don't, so that's my thoughts.
I've spotted plenty of pros wearing summer base layers under their jerseys at both the tours of France and Spain. That's actually how I discovered summer base layers in the first place: I saw a pro giving a post-ride interview at the Tour de France with his jersey open, and I noticed he was wearing some kind of mesh layer under his jersey. Then I heard the GCN boys mention the importance of a good base layer and how it can help cool you down, and they're pretty much all ex-pros. One of them even rode for the Rapha test team, I believe.

Anyway, it sounds like you have some selection bias clouding your judgement here. There are definitely pros that wear base layers in hot weather, and there are pros that don't. It's bad practice to over-extrapolate your observations, so be careful with that.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-21-20, 10:39 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
There are better jerseys and lesser jerseys fro hot weather. ne warm ride will tell me where any jersey lands on that scale.

Uner the jersye I wear:

Max temp 75 (or cooler temps expected on downhills, later, etc. - the wonderful Patagonia T-shirts (as nice as silk against the skin)
Mat temp 85 (90 with cooler expected) - the old Performance mesh tank top
Above 85-90, just the jersey.

For me, being cold is such an issue that I often wear the T-shirt or tank top in warmer than I outlined above. Not a big issue. With good undergarments, it is rarely a huge deal if I get it 'wrong".

Now, good undergarments make a huge difference with the older and poorer quality fabric jerseys. My old race jersey is synthetic (I was a bike racer/bike shop employee spending my excess cash on silk sewups) and synthetic dried far faster in humid New England). I still have it. Custom fit and very well made but long before any "super" fabrics (except wool and silk). I can still wear it and do but I would never wear it without a wicking T. (Back then I wore cotton fishnet Ts. They worked surprisingly well..)

Ben
Old 08-21-20, 12:07 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
I've spotted plenty of pros wearing summer base layers under their jerseys at both the tours of France and Spain. That's actually how I discovered summer base layers in the first place: I saw a pro giving a post-ride interview at the Tour de France with his jersey open, and I noticed he was wearing some kind of mesh layer under his jersey. Then I heard the GCN boys mention the importance of a good base layer and how it can help cool you down, and they're pretty much all ex-pros. One of them even rode for the Rapha test team, I believe.
Whoops you're probably right, serves me right for my quick post!

I'm pretty sure one of the presenters rode for the Cervelo test team right? Can't quite remember which one it was ... maybe it was James? Oh I bet it was Jeremy Powers!
Old 08-21-20, 12:13 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
One layer against my skin is the most I can handle in the summer Sun, heat and humidity. That layer will be a synthetic moisture Wicking material. Usually some sort of polyester/nylon/spandex blend.

With a couple exceptions I think this is superior to my bare skin. Bare skin against the summer sun can be brutal, I cant always keep enough sun block on and it can block your natural sweating ability from your skin’s pores. Shade through clothing I think is superior. I use DaBrim visor over my helmet some days.
Old 08-21-20, 01:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I've tried thin summer baselayers under SS jerseys, and found it to be a wash - they might aid wicking a bit, but add to heat retention.

On the hottest days, I wear one of these. It's the best jersey I've found for such conditions. And unlike many ultra-thin jerseys, its pockets will actually hold your cargo without going all floppy.