Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Screw for "name plate" on Shimano levers

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-25-20, 02:22 AM
fofinet855

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello, anyone knows the specs for the component Y0F398020 (just google it to see what I'm talking about), and specifically the screw that holds the piece to the bike?
I lost it due to vibrations, and rather than ordering a new piece I wish I could just replace the screw. And yes, I could remove it from the other brake, but it's not too easy because it's recessed and difficult to access.

Thank you.
Old 09-25-20, 10:25 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Screw removal easy, just pop the wheel out of the forks so tire below brakes and squeeze brake handle
and screw is right there. Flat head, Japanese cross head phillips variant, overall length 4mm, diameter 2.25mm.
Probably standard thread for size. So "probably" M2.2 x 0.45. I found a 5mm long similar screw from
either a hard drive or old floppy drive in my screw hoard.
Old 09-25-20, 10:46 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Screw removal easy, just pop the wheel out of the forks so tire below brakes and squeeze brake handle
and screw is right there. Flat head, Japanese cross head phillips variant, overall length 4mm, diameter 2.25mm.
Probably standard thread for size. So "probably" M2.2 x 0.45. I found a 5mm long similar screw from
either a hard drive or old floppy drive in my screw hoard.
Y0F398020 = 105 hydraulic

Old 09-25-20, 12:03 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
Agree pull the screw if you are in a good size city as I have had good luck with odd JIS screws and bolts at retail/wholesale screw and bolt sellers. While once a waste of time they now carry amazing inventory of metric and even JIS.
Old 09-26-20, 01:32 AM
fofinet855

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks everyone. Yes, the brake is hydraulic, so even if I remove the wheel the lever only goes a bit further (and the brake pads get stuck to each other). I'll try with the specs you mentioned, but now I have another question: is there a way to make the lever go all the way towards the handlebar, so I can easily access the screw?