Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Knee rehab

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Knee rehab

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 01:10 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Knee rehab

Five weeks ago I tore my MCL (grade 3) ACL (grade 3) and PCL (grade 2). Surgery will be performed in 12 days for the ACL. The others are healing on their own. I now have enough range of motion (0°-90°) to pedal a bike lightly during physical therapy (at least until surgery, then it's back to scratch in that area). I just hooked up my bike to my trainer and will do a little pedaling to help keep up flexibility. Once the surgery happens then the dr. estimated 3-6 weeks until I will be able to pedal on the trainer again.

For those with this type of injury how long was it until you could ride out on the road again? I will follow all of the drs advice but just looking for some sort of time frame to look forward to. Thanks.
Old 07-20-22, 06:23 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
The procedure and therapy protocol is likely different today than it was when I had mine 3 decades ago. You'll be in a protection mode for about 6-8 weeks. Physical therapy will focus almost exclusively on range of motion and flexibility. Generally, after that you'll be able to do as much as you can bear. That can range widely from patient to patient. Some ramp back up very quickly.
Likes For Paul Barnard: