Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

$400 20?? Trek One Series 1.1 vs 2007 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA $500

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 01:43 PM
Jimboslice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, pretty new to road bikes. Bought a cheap vintage ross 3 speed in amazing condition for $25 and been riding it for months. It's fun, but it's heavy, not very fast and the bumps are felt.

Been shopping used entry level road bikes. Not looking to race, but would like something I can climb and go pretty fast with. I value comfort.

The two bikes in the description are both my size and appear in good shape. Stock parts from what I can tell with the pilot having new rear pulley set and fresh set of kevlar tires.

from my limited knowledge and research both bikes seem well loved by owners and fit it that entry level comfortable to ride category.

Am I right the Pilot is a better bike overall in terms of materials and components? It's a carbon bike and the rear suspension that I'm completley unfamiliar with is supposed to make foe ultra smooth ride. Some complaints by folks it causes some slip out/ rear steering and eats up a little efficiency which makes sense. I'm not experienced, and I'm not looking to race. Just want something for some riding around the suburbs and the occasional long haul on the nearby paved trails and farm roads. Mostly gentle hills where I live.

Just looking for suggestions and things to consider from seasoned riders.

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-21-23, 10:18 AM
Jimboslice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimboslice
Hello, pretty new to road bikes. Bought a cheap vintage ross 3 speed in amazing condition for $25 and been riding it for months. It's fun, but it's heavy, not very fast and the bumps are felt.

Been shopping used entry level road bikes. Not looking to race, but would like something I can climb and go pretty fast with. I value comfort.

The two bikes in the description are both my size and appear in good shape. Stock parts from what I can tell with the pilot having new rear pulley set and fresh set of kevlar tires.

from my limited knowledge and research both bikes seem well loved by owners and fit it that entry level comfortable to ride category.

Am I right the Pilot is a better bike overall in terms of materials and components? It's a carbon bike and the rear suspension that I'm completley unfamiliar with is supposed to make foe ultra smooth ride. Some complaints by folks it causes some slip out/ rear steering and eats up a little efficiency which makes sense. I'm not experienced, and I'm not looking to race. Just want something for some riding around the suburbs and the occasional long haul on the nearby paved trails and farm roads. Mostly gentle hills where I live.

Just looking for suggestions and things to consider from seasoned riders.

Thanks
Jim
Did I break a rule? No feedback from anyone?
Old 08-21-23, 10:37 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I think a lot of members get tired of the frequent "this bike or that bike" questions and simply scroll past. You are indeed right that the Pilot has much higher end components at the Ultegra level while the One Series seems to hang around the bottom of the barrel. Assuming both are in good shape and fit you properly, the Pilot is the easy winner here. I don't know anything about the SPA suspension, but it sounds like you're not going to be carving the canyons at the limits of adhesion anyway.
Old 08-21-23, 03:58 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
For bikes this old, condition is everything. I'd rather have a mid-grade bike that's been ridden gently and maintained well than a high end one that was abused or neglected. You say they both look like they've been taken care of, but do you have the experience to really tell? (Not challenging you, just asking a sincere question.)

You say they both fit you well. That's important. You should immediately rule out any bike that doesn't.

And speaking of comfort, can you take each one for a test ride? You'll learn more in 30 seconds on the bike than you can ever get through hours of online research and asking for strangers' opinions. A bike with features that can theoretically improve comfort will not necessarily be comfortable for you.

Sorry about the vague or general nature of my reply. As urbanknight suggested, BF members often don't want to do your research for you with regard to specific models. If by chance someone who knows about these specific models happens onto the thread, hopefully they can give you a better answer. I only know generalities about bikes of that age.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-21-23 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-22-23, 05:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
The Trek Pilot sounds like a reasonable bike for your intended usage. There isn’t much else to say really. If the frame size fits you and it really is in great condition, then all should be good.

The Trek 1.1 looks a little more race focused and with lower spec component wise. It seems like a reasonable bet too, but I would go with the Pilot if they are in comparable condition and price (easily worth the extra $100)