Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

650B gravel wheels: DT Swiss, Scribe, Hunt, Fulcrum? Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 04:09 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello all,

I'm looking to get some alloy 650B gravel wheels matching these criteria:

- 24 or 25mm internal rim width (for between 47mm-53mm tires),
- under 1700g.
- For some serious off-roading, need to be durable, rider weight 70kg.
- Around 500 EUR or less. Nothing too fancy, no carbon.

Options I found so far:

1. I was looking at Hunt 650B Adventure Sport gravel wheels. 549 EUR. 25mm internal, weight ca. 1650g.
The price has gone up recently, which seems rather pricey for Hunt, which is supposed to be a value / not high end / brand?

2. DT Swiss GR 1600 are another option, 550 EUR. 24mm internal, 1671g claimed weight. 350 Hubs.
Quality no doubt, and at the same price as the Hunt seems like a no brainer to go DT Swiss. Only 24 spokes each, while most gravel wheels have 28. But I guess should be just as durable because it's DT Swiss?

3. Scribe Gravel Wide++: 280 EUR for the wheelset (on sale), 25mm internal width, 1660g claimed weight.
Really cheap on sale, but discontinued model. Quality seems OK, but reports of extremely loud hubs.

4. Fulcrum Rapid Red 3, 545 EUR. 24mm internal, 1640g claimed.
Seems like solid option, but for the same money I think DT Swiss is better quality? Not a fan of cup and cone bearings either.

5. Was looking at Mavic Allroad 650B, but the base model is 1840g (too heavy) and the SL Road+ version is 720EUR (above my budget).

Any other options I am missing?

So I'm leaning towards getting the DT Swiss GR1600. Which would you get?

Thank you!
Old 10-06-23, 06:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
If at all possible to stretch the budget from €550 to €880, I'd *highly* recommend the Spinergy GX Max 650b wheelset. The fiber spokes which Spinergy uses make for an absolutely brilliant gravel wheel, that is based on my experience using the 700c version GX.

Mainly it's the vibration damping that does it; the wheels really smooth the ride, taking the edge off both the buzzing and the big hits. They really reduce the fatigue for me compared to conventional metal spokes. The GX Max are also rather light at 1450g and while I've found the 700c GX to be amply stiff and durable under my 245lbs weight, the smaller diameter, higher spoke count 650b GX Max should be even more so.

For the GX Max money, in addition to the durability, comfort, and low weight of the wheels, you get the choice of having a racy, red spoke by the valve hole if you desire more than just plain black! Heck, you can even do up the whole wheel in colored spokes of your choosing for a small upcharge if you want to go nuts with it!

Great wheels and good value, IMO, despite being a little above your target price range.

https://spinergy.com/collections/gra...41658305577148