Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who does NOT wear a helmet?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who does NOT wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 04:48 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by slide
He was enjoying himself as much as he was enjoying making you miserable because you can't tolerate the sight of anyone who is happier than you are as you wallow in a pathetic self rightous piety.
That's why although I don't like ignorant fools blocking my way (usually people walking 2 or 3 abreast with their dogs though) I just maintain my courtesy and call my pass. If they don't move, I don't feel obligated to move any further into the traffic lane than is absolutely necessary. Since I'm comfortable passing people with my shoulder about 2-3 inches from them, they usually get startled. Learn their lesson? Probably not, but I won't be hit by a car due to their ignorance.
Old 07-09-06, 05:51 PM
chromedome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
Not as small as "Me and my imaginary friends".
Does that mean I have imaginary friends? I'd like to meet them, and go on rides with them. I could yell, "ON YOUR LEFT!" and feel good about myself.
Old 07-09-06, 05:59 PM
chromedome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
Perhaps, but considering it's a Neurologist based in Amsterdam, then he statistically sees a hell of a lot more T.B.I.s from cycling than your average North American Neurologist, and definitely more than the OP.
If those were the study groups, we'd have to compare Dutch commuters and NA commuters, or Dutch and NA recreationists, or Dutch and NA racers. Dutch commuters will probably have significantly different cycling habits than NA recreational cyclists.
Old 07-09-06, 06:03 PM
chromedome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Another factor that's hard to judge/account for in these studies is the economic standing of the victims. If helmets are voluntary, but expensive ($25 for a helmet is 'expensive' to a lot of people) then the people wearing them are going to be people with more money. Those people are also the most likely to have good medical insurance, so much more likely to go to the doctor or ER with a relatively minor injury than someone with no insurance and who is hard up for money.

Case in point: I was hit by a truck on my bike... The truck was going approx. 20 mph, I was sprinting as fast as I could the other direction, so... 25 mph or so. The truck made a left turn, and struck me, I flew over the hood and landed in a bush on the other side. I was severely bruised, and could barely walk, had road rash on both legs, and tore my pants. Did I go to the emergency room? No. I got up and went to work. (Damage to the truck was approx. $1000, bent the frame on my bike, and I walked stiffly for a week or so)

On the other hand, I saw someone the other day who fell off a bike sideways at fairly low speed, and skinned their elbow. Someone called an ambulance, and off they went to the ER.

On the other hand, if the helmets are expensive and mandated by law, the lower income people are effectively priced off of bicycles. The number of riders will go down, but the people that go to the hospital for bike incidents will likely remain mostly the same. Hence the 'injury rate' would appear to go up.

Very complicated.... is it any wonder there are so many different and apparently contradictory studies out there?
It is incredibly complicated. And you're right about economy being an issue. Across the board with all trauma, economy plays a huge factor in who's at risk vs. who's at lower risk of sustaining life-threatening injury.
Old 07-09-06, 06:04 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sportbiker
This mirrors many discussions in the motorcycling community about mandatory helmet laws. In both cases, it seems there are statistics that support your position no matter what your position is.

Here's how I look at it: Let's break it down to the risk of head injury per mile ridden. Let's say (pulling a number out of a hat) the risk is 1:50000, so that I can expect a bicycling-related head injury once every 50,000 miles ridden. (In my riding career I haven't yet had a head injury incident and my career mileage is probably approaching 50,000 miles. Maybe I'm due.). I'm not talking about a guaranteed fatality, just some adverse event of unknown intensity.

Now let's say that a helmet would be significant in half of those events but not significant in others because of angle, speed, point of impact, whatever. So every 50,000 miles I can expect an event with a 50% chance of the helmet helping. I'm probably average in that I ride between 2-3000 miles/yr., so I can expect that event to happen once every 15-25 years.

Now, what does that say about the risk of riding 30 miles this weekend *with* a helmet vs. the risk *without* a helmet? They're both so vanishingly low as to be inconsequential. Granted, should that "every 25 year" event occur during that one 30-mile ride and should that should that event be one of the 50% where a helmet would be significant then the consequences can be pretty severe; but still, the risk during any one mile of riding isn't going to be materially changed whether or not I have on a helmet.

As an aside, I wear a helmet 99% of the time, partly to play the odds, but partly because it's the carrier for the hemet mirror I'd be lost without. On my riding, I think the mirror does more for my safety than the helmet, actually.
Ya know what's realllllllllllly great about statistics? They don't mean **** when something actually happens to you. People LOVE to quote statistics, but in reality, they're just numbers. As most people know, anything can happen at any time.

In the end, it's a personal choice. Yes, some states have mandatory laws, and some don't.....but then again, that hasn't stopped people from not wearing helmets. It doesn't make one person more or less intelligent per se (wearing a helmet versus not wearing a helmet), but then again the general public has never had an overabundance of common sense to begin with. Ask any police officer, firefighter, or EMT.

And yes, I also ride a motorcycle.....
Old 07-09-06, 06:20 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He was enjoying himself as much as he was enjoying making you miserable because you can't tolerate the sight of anyone who is happier than you are as you wallow in a pathetic self rightous piety.
Haha. I'm sure that's exactly what he was thinking! I didn't notice but he probably running a Campy/Shimano mix, wearing sneakers, tube socks and wool shorts too! Seriously, if you're an adult do what you want. It's not going to affect my happiness one way or another. But not taking even minor precautions is just silly, in my opinion.
Old 07-09-06, 06:27 PM
chromedome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
Ya know what's realllllllllllly great about statistics? They don't mean **** when something actually happens to you. People LOVE to quote statistics, but in reality, they're just numbers. As most people know, anything can happen at any time.

In the end, it's a personal choice. Yes, some states have mandatory laws, and some don't.....but then again, that hasn't stopped people from not wearing helmets. It doesn't make one person more or less intelligent per se (wearing a helmet versus not wearing a helmet), but then again the general public has never had an overabundance of common sense to begin with. Ask any police officer, firefighter, or EMT.

And yes, I also ride a motorcycle.....
Statistics exist, whether we tabulate them or write them down or like them or not. And you're right, they don't mean jack, until they are interpreted. Therein lies the rub. How they are interpreted.

If something unfortunate happens to you that could've been avoided (because of inability to apply learned knowledge to practical use) then those statistics really didn't mean jack. That's your personal choice. And anybody else's common sense could be related to lessons learned. Which doesn't have anything to do with "intelligence."

And to me in my little corner of the world, there's a big difference between "common" sense and "good" sense.
Old 07-09-06, 06:41 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by chromedome
Does that mean I have imaginary friends? I'd like to meet them, and go on rides with them. I could yell, "ON YOUR LEFT!" and feel good about myself.
Well, I was talking about my imaginary friends. You can go riding with them, but they're actually quite fast - they've been taking imaginary EPO.
Old 07-09-06, 06:46 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
OK... I think we've reached that point in the discussion...

Patriot, I think you have all the info you need to make an informed decision.

DrPete
Old 07-09-06, 06:58 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete

DrPete

i just hope its the right one and he keeps the skid lid on

sorry couldnt resist. We could argue statistics till that dead horse comes back to life and never come to a conclusion that all could agree with.

Fact is where safty is concerned anicdotal evidence is the best evidence. As is those with personal experiance.

I suppose we could find a few fresh human skulls from say medical schools nd test the effects of highly controled impact studies with and with out helmet. Then take and increase the impact force untill deadly damage is sustained.
Infact i have to ask why in the hell hasnt such a thing already been done? There are a huge number of people yearly who infact donate their bodies to science so why havent ssome of these bodies been used for this express purpose? Isnt the reason people do this to save lives And wouldnt such a study lead to 1 improvements in helmets safty and 2 prove they do save lives.
Old 07-09-06, 07:05 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nova
Infact i have to ask why in the hell hasnt such a thing already been done? There are a huge number of people yearly who infact donate their bodies to science so why havent ssome of these bodies been used for this express purpose? Isnt the reason people do this to save lives And wouldnt such a study lead to 1 improvements in helmets safty and 2 prove they do save lives.
The problem is that the skull is the strongest thing you're dealing with. It's actually quite difficult to fracture a skull. The other issue is that it would be difficult to diagnose a brain injury (bleed, contusion, etc.) in a cadaver because 1. cadavers don't bleed, and 2. without a neurologic exam it would be tough to diagnose a brain injury.

Just my guesses, though...

DrPete
Old 07-09-06, 07:13 PM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a repeative question which I think is posted only to raise hackles in others

Let those who think they are smarter do as they please but also let them carry cards in wallets attesting that they don't want tens of thousands of public dollars spent on thier hospital costs

I'm curious if those same folks refuse to wear auto or plane seat belts or refuse to strap in their family members
Old 07-09-06, 07:14 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

DrPete

Ok. Now we wait a week and do it again the next time this subject comes up in a thread?

*ducks*
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 07-09-06, 07:16 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Ok. Now we wait a week and do it again the next time this subject comes up in a thread?

*ducks*
Exactly. There will be several new members who haven't heard this song before.

DrPete
Old 07-09-06, 07:21 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Travelinguyrt
Its a repeative question which I think is posted only to raise hackles in others

Let those who think they are smarter do as they please but also let them carry cards in wallets attesting that they don't want tens of thousands of public dollars spent on thier hospital costs

I'm curious if those same folks refuse to wear auto or plane seat belts or refuse to strap in their family members
See... then after all the discussion, we have to have Mr. Know-it-all ******* come along one last time and tell us what's best for us.

Thanks. We all appreciate it.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 07-09-06, 07:26 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is that the skull is the strongest thing you're dealing with. It's actually quite difficult to fracture a skull. The other issue is that it would be difficult to diagnose a brain injury (bleed, contusion, etc.) in a cadaver because 1. cadavers don't bleed, and 2. without a neurologic exam it would be tough to diagnose a brain injury.

Just my guesses, though...

DrPete
uhuh from a damn doctor id say thats a pretty educated guess.

Regardless it could still show brain trama regardless of bleed or no bleed. Its not goign to give the best possible results but sure as hek better study results than a hammer to the helmet only. As for the whole hard to fracture bit sure it is but considering it does happen we could see exactly how much protection from fractures helmets do infact give against variours forms of impact.
Old 07-09-06, 07:27 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I will say that this WAS a pretty intelligent, level-headed discussion about the topic... Nobody even accused anyone of any conspiracies or grand cabals...

We have to keep it toned down for the OCP Prez after all...

DrPete
Old 07-09-06, 07:28 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Travelinguyrt

Well lets put it this way if they refuse to buckle up on a plane they will get booted off the plane. No seat belt in a car they get a ticket. And best part is cops in ohio can now stop you for no seat belt.
Old 07-09-06, 07:29 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will say that this WAS a pretty intelligent, level-headed discussion about the topic... Nobody even accused anyone of any conspiracies or grand cabals...

We have to keep it toned down for the OCP Prez after all...

DrPete
heheh better than some of the arguments ive seen on other forums with other topics. Should see dslreports security forums mac forums and ms forums now you want to talk fights youll see fights there big time. Their all zealots lol.
Old 07-09-06, 07:37 PM
sunofsand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol

Quiet road. What is supposed to be listening to ?
Old 07-09-06, 09:33 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't wear a helmet...

I fell and hit my head last fall, I have a little scar near my eye, makes me more like a pirate..

If I'd had a helmet on then I would have never got that.
Old 07-09-06, 09:41 PM
JonRags

Bikes: A flat Rossin (hit by car), Trek 1000, Specialized frame to build up to TT bike, and soon to be Felt Race Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear it. Used to take it off at times and hang it on the bars on really long climbs but was standing once and my foot came out and I bounced my head off the pavement. That was the last time.
Old 07-09-06, 11:53 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow...this thread is still going...
Old 07-10-06, 12:42 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Like you, I grew up & spent many years as a young adult cycling without a helmet with no bad effects. During my commuting career, I occaisionally put my cap on & rode off to work sans helmet. Got to be such a problem that I decided to keep an old helmet in my cubicle so I could at least have one to ride home. I often wonder if we would have just as much benefit from wearing a helmet when driving or even during every day activity like going for walks, working in my garage etc. The statistical incidence of an accidental fall, hitting my head may be similar to the odds of doing it while cycling. Has anyone ever researched old Tour de France stats vs recent years to see if there is any change in the incidence of serious/fatal head injuries? If wearing the helmet really makes a difference, I would expect to see some statistical evidence there as the odds of a crash seem much higher. Don
Old 07-10-06, 01:44 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chromedome
If those were the study groups, we'd have to compare Dutch commuters and NA commuters, or Dutch and NA recreationists, or Dutch and NA racers. Dutch commuters will probably have significantly different cycling habits than NA recreational cyclists.

been riding without your helmet recently?

go to post 132 in this bloated thread to discover the original context of what i was referring to.

there were no studies involved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.