Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wow! Seattle was a cyclist's heaven this weekend

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 07:44 PM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Bikes: Bella/Princess

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was visiting family for a long weekend out in the Emerald City and just LOVED the weather and the fantastic number of cyclists everywhere. I didn't see a road without a cyclist. There were so many cyclists on designated bike lanes and the hills were just totally awesome.

It became a sport the last two-three days we were there: I noticed that no matter where we were, if we were stopped at an intersection there was a cyclist passing through or stopping too (I was with the SpongeSons and not on the bike) -- not once was there an exception to that rule! You'all are spoiled and don't know how good you have it ... just tell me it's like that every weekend, even in the rain!

I totally believe the tour guide who told us that Seattle was named one of the 10 best cycling cities in the world -- I've never seen better, so who are these 9 other pretenders?
Old 08-09-06, 08:22 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Come back and see us in, say, November and watch me pedaling up Queen Anne Hill in the rain, 42 degrees and dark at 5:30 pm. This is why we like to ride when the weather is good: we only have five months a year of good weather.
Old 08-09-06, 08:37 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I'll be in Seattle this Sunday through Tuesday, but I don't think I'll get a chance to ride, as much as I would love to. I'll have my wife and 3 kids along and we're starting a 2 week western states driving vacation. I wanted to stay in Seattle a few more days but we have a pretty aggressive agenda.

When I lived there in the 80s biking was already in full swing there. The BG trail was crowded, Lake Washington Blvd was always a busy biking road, and there were of course the hills.

And yes, it rains. Back then I had a bike I would take in the rain, but my Davidson would only go out when it was dry.

If I didn't have to carry around my cycling gear on the trip I would take an outfit and try to get out early while everyone was still asleep.

Anyone in the downtown/capital hill area willing to set me up for a quick ride Monday early AM, I'm staying at the Roosevelt?? (I ride a 51cm frame but could go up to around a 54 )

Last edited by zacster; 08-09-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-09-06, 08:40 PM
iansir

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey man, November is still pretty good...Jan/Feb is when it really starts to blow. Last weekend was especially great. Can't beat being out on the road and watching the blue angles do tricks in the sky over your head. Winter isn't that much fun (wet but not terribly cold), but its totally worth it for those summer weekends.
Old 08-09-06, 09:16 PM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We kept passing around Green Lake throughout the weekend and could vicariously enjoy other cyclists' rides. My only concern was how fast I'd wear out my brakes trying to stop in time in the middle of a hill descent - there were an awful lot of lights right in the middle of a hill!
Old 08-09-06, 09:21 PM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was also impressed with the Seattle Times -- you get racing results in your local paper other than the TdF! I guess you guys got more culture than we do out here!
Old 08-09-06, 09:41 PM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came out to the PACNW for a few months of riding and its another civilization for riding, people polite, civilized, stop at AMBER lites lets peds cross at corners, Bikes obey traffic laws,(mostly) the lite rail has bike holders in each car, dozens of paths around the county
Pal asked if I'd like to do "the Hottest Day of the year ride" past Sunday about 700 riders ALL ages showed up rides of several lengTHs, 15 and 40 miles,water gun fight at the finish plus icecream

Last week we rode from Portland across the mighty Colombia River ON INTERSTATE 205, an paved path right down the center with barriers on each side , noisy and breezy and totally safe, we rode thru Vancouver then headed east, as fine a ride as one can hope for, the Colombia Gorge is quite spectacular
We talked with a park ranger who said that 40% of grain exported from No America passes thru the Colombia and that it carries more water to the ocean than does the Mississippi
We met 2 20something kids from B.C. who had ridden up from San Diego on their way home clunker bikes, loaded, with gear and sleeping stuff, stealth camped the entire distance and were having a great ride

Its a great part of the world to ride in, Y'all come up some time
Old 08-09-06, 09:53 PM
AzureDrpTp

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be in Seattle/Redmond this weekend through next tuesday. Anyone in the area know of a place that rents road bikes?
Old 08-09-06, 10:38 PM
mcoomer
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzureDrpTp
I'll be in Seattle/Redmond this weekend through next tuesday. Anyone in the area know of a place that rents road bikes?
The only bike shop number I know off the top of my head is Pacific Bicycle in Sammamish (a few minutes east of Redmond). The number is 425-836-3911. I don't know the rates or what they have but I know they do rent. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Mike
Old 08-09-06, 10:41 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoomer
The only bike shop number I know off the top of my head is Pacific Bicycle in Sammamish (a few minutes east of Redmond). The number is 425-836-3911. I don't know the rates or what they have but I know they do rent. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Also another endorsement for the folks at Pacific from another rider up on the plateau... Ask for Scott or Kristy (the owners).
Old 08-09-06, 11:50 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bibi
My only concern was how fast I'd wear out my brakes trying to stop in time in the middle of a hill descent - there were an awful lot of lights right in the middle of a hill!
Yep. Between that and the gritty water from the rain we go through a lot of rims and brake pads around here.
Old 08-10-06, 02:28 AM
AzureDrpTp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoomer

Mike
Thanks for the lead! I'll check em' out while i'm up there...
Old 08-10-06, 06:07 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I was in Seattle last weekend too. I saw a ton of riders in Seattle proper but not in Kent or Bellingham. One of the things I look for when I'm visiting a city is the amount of bike lanes. I think Portland has Seattle beat now. There was an article in the free paper about Seattle's plans to make the City more bike friendly. I hope they can get it done.