Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

any opinion on this bike? any users?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

any opinion on this bike? any users?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 05:37 PM
Brightwork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy the Walmart bike - if you don't like it, return it and see your LBS.
Old 05-20-08, 06:48 PM
leckig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this approved?

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Horse-Tra...sbs_sg_title_3

it seems much lighter than that schwinn.

Are the 700 x 28c tires fine for both road and very light "off-road" by this I mean not paved bike paths?

Amazon has plenty of these Iron-Horse bikes.

Yes, I will put the bike myself together, I will very much enjoy doing that and I dont need LBS help in measuring my inseam.
Old 05-20-08, 07:18 PM
duff1301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear

Wallmart sells house out in the back, maybe they can ship you your favorite model.
Old 05-20-08, 07:34 PM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leckig
i
Are the 700 x 28c tires fine for both road and very light "off-road" by this I mean not paved bike paths?

Yes, I will put the bike myself together, I will very much enjoy doing that and I dont need LBS help in measuring my inseam.
28c width is narrow and well suited for smooth paved paths and road surfaces. 35 or 38 width may provide the better ride for hard packed paths, aging path surfaces and other rougher riding surfaces.

Having read the entire thread, and from your first post, I take it you do expect to be taken advantage of by LBS. I would suggest another LBS even if you must drive a few miles to find another with a selection. This suggestion is not to by, but experience fair treatment and obtain a fair assessment of the type of bike you will be happy with for your needs, and to test ride more than one bike style, for you and your wife. Buying his and her models of same make/manufacture may not be the better options for each. If fact you may want to visit a few shops and check other options being offered.

Education is your best tool and it your responsibility to learn from all options available, even if the teacher is not your favorite, or most pleasant, the best lessons are often served.

With this knowledge you will be better able to make your selection, it doesnot matter if LBS purchase, big box type purchase, or even alternate do it source selections. Used and previously owned is pratical if you know what you seek.

I travel through out the midwest for my job, and have taken advantage of down time, seeking entertainment visiting LBS, I have always found the most pleasant folks in these shops. They are prode of there inventory and from my perspective they make their living selling bikes their customers will ride and enjoy, than selling one bike a month to big spenders.

The exception to these visits have been the concept stores, Erik Bikes has a couple concept stores for Specialized, and stock every model on the floor or racks, the staff here were a little more interested with stocking and assembly than assisting a looker. Trek also has complete stores, staff were friendlier on two experiences, but with only one brand, the best they did was ask what type of bike I wanted, not what my planned use would be.

Family named LBS always told be the better choices for dinner selections, and even one joined me for dinner and tour of town after learning I was from out of town. Even offered to loan me a bike to ride if I was inclined.

East coast, midwest, south of the MD line, I have always found LBS staff the best, regardless of the brand selection.

I wish you the best on your search.

PS: Last year, helped my wife select new ride for mothers day gift, they did not point her to expensive, in fact one of the less cost models on the floor. She has been most please ever since and rides almost every chance she can, starting in february when the weather broke here.
Old 05-20-08, 07:39 PM
thedrval

Bikes: 2021 Liv Langma Advance 1+ Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike opinion needed

I didn't want to start a new thread about the same situation...I am looking to buy a bike mostly for commuting (~30 miles a week) and don't have a lot of money to spend (college student). Also I want to do triathlons, though I know I probably wont be super awesome competitive with a less expensive bike...
I found this one online https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_elitefs.htm and would like to know what is thought of it...
Thanks
Old 05-20-08, 07:50 PM
akatsuki

Bikes: Lynskey R210, Miyata 610, Anchor PCD3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy used over a piece of crap. And why would you be intimidated by $5K bikes in the window?
Old 05-20-08, 08:03 PM
envane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thedrval
I didn't want to start a new thread about the same situation...I am looking to buy a bike mostly for commuting (~30 miles a week) and don't have a lot of money to spend (college student). Also I want to do triathlons, though I know I probably wont be super awesome competitive with a less expensive bike...
I found this one online https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_elitefs.htm and would like to know what is thought of it...
Thanks
BikesDirect bikes come partially assembled. You have to be able to inspect their assembly to see if it was done correctly, and do the rest yourself. Otherwise, you take it to a shop to finish it for you, which will cost some money.

A 3 mile commute can be done on anything, but don't even think about doing any serious riding on that thing. Very upright position, fat seat, seatpost + front suspension = slow, chaffing ride. That really isn't the type of bike for someone athletic enough to attempt a triatholon.
Old 05-20-08, 08:10 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this approved?

We're trying not to give up on you, really. The Iron Horse is a step up, but 52 and 54 are pretty limited size selections. You haven't mentioned how tall you are or your inseam, and tht comes before buying the bike, not after. I'll go out on a limb and give the estimate that if you are in the 5'-4" range, the 52 might work. The 54 should be ok if you are say 5'-6" - 5' - 9" range and of average proportions.

The 1.0 has crap level components. The 3.0 has higher quality components and comes in a wider variety of sizes.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 05-21-08, 08:01 AM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=rickyaustin;6728011]Walk into the bike store and tell them your budget.

If they try to push and push you - find a new bike store.

+1 my experience is that if you give them a budget they will find you a decent bike within your price range, they want to sell bikes, unlike Walmart where they want to sell you everything.
Old 05-21-08, 08:10 AM
TXChick
Almost Middle-Aged Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your wife doesn't plan to bike much, I say buy the Schwinn. (I also support keeping the label on. ) HOWEVER, be prepared to check over the bike with a fine-toothed comb and replace anything substandard. That might increase your budget to the point that it's better to buy a better-quality bike, but maybe not. I rode a Wal-Mart Huffy or Roadmaster or something bike for years and years, but pretty much the only thing that was stock was the frame by the time I got done with it.

For commuting, I would definitely visit your LBS and get something really decent.

Last edited by TXChick; 05-21-08 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-21-08, 08:45 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thedrval
Thanks
if your commute is fairly flat, look at the Kilo TT at Bikes Direct. I had the same bike with a KHS label on it and it was a good bike. The only reason i sold it was because it was a little small for me.
Old 05-21-08, 09:02 AM
envane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pig
if your commute is fairly flat, look at the Kilo TT at Bikes Direct. I had the same bike with a KHS label on it and it was a good bike. The only reason i sold it was because it was a little small for me.
A brakeless track bike is a great bike for the beginning cyclist
Old 05-21-08, 09:14 AM
TXChick
Almost Middle-Aged Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by envane
Old 05-21-08, 09:14 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good point. I forgot that I added brakes and a freewheel to mine. Those items might make it too expensive.
Old 05-21-08, 07:43 PM
thedrval

Bikes: 2021 Liv Langma Advance 1+ Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikesDirect bikes come partially assembled. You have to be able to inspect their assembly to see if it was done correctly, and do the rest yourself. Otherwise, you take it to a shop to finish it for you, which will cost some money.

A 3 mile commute can be done on anything, but don't even think about doing any serious riding on that thing. Very upright position, fat seat, seatpost + front suspension = slow, chaffing ride. That really isn't the type of bike for someone athletic enough to attempt a triatholon.
cool, good to know. thanks for the advice everyone
Old 05-22-08, 07:06 AM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=leckig;6731365]is this approved?

Much better bike than the Schwinn. The 28c better on paved surface, but ok on packed down off road paths, but not loose gravel or sand.
Old 05-26-08, 07:43 PM
leckig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is the 3.0 worth the extra $$$?

how come from a $200 walmart bike I am now at $400 level...
Old 05-26-08, 07:47 PM
VintageRaleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't really go wrong but I would still rather have the cheapest the LBS has to offer
Old 05-26-08, 07:59 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
leckig,

I've toured 2,000 miles with around 60 pounds of gear loaded on a Walmart Schwinn Sidewinder without any problems outside a flat tire. You can always buy the Schwinn's and like others have said, if you don't like them, return them to Walmart. Try returning a $1,000 LBS bicycle after a few weeks and 1,000 miles of riding.

The Walmart bike isn't going to fall apart or break down anymore than another bike costing ten times as much will. If you can do simple adjustments and maintenance, which is required for **ANY** bicycle, a Walmart bicycle will be fine.

The current Walmart bike I own has around 1,200 miles on it over 75 days and the only thing I've had to replace is the pedals. I buy a new bicycle each year, not because they wear out, because I either like a new ride or when I do a long tour, it's just easier to donate the bicycle to charity rather than ship it back.

If you order it online, you'll either have to assemble it yourself or bring it to a local Walmart for them to assemble for free.

BTW: I could still return it under Walmart's return policy until June 10th.
Old 05-26-08, 10:00 PM
mark9950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Cypress ST lists for $275 and might be assembled by someone who has a clue.
Even though schwinns bicycles are COMMUNIST made,Giant bikes are also made in a COMMUNIST COUNTRY Taiwan)part of china.So I would guess there is no difference.
Old 05-26-08, 10:31 PM
ottawa_adam

Bikes: kona dew hybrid, MEC shadowlands

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is this approved?

If you're looking at that price range, you might as well get the Kona Dew for under $400. You'll get a good bike with decent components.
Old 05-27-08, 08:42 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm surprised by the amount of people that aren't steering you completly away from walmart. go people. i've riden a walmart bike before, and they aren't bad for occasional riding. but if you want something to be more reliable, take a step higher.

as said earlier, if the LBS seems pushy, leave. try craigslist.
Old 05-27-08, 07:56 PM
clarketb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a schwinn sierra that I purchased at the LBS before they started selling them at walmart.The only real problem I've had is that I needed to replace the rear wheel after 3 yrs of steady riding.Mind you I am a rather large person 250 + .
Old 05-27-08, 08:57 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're so naive and weak that you're afraid of buying a bike from an LBS go for walmart. Pushy LBS? Go to another. Last time i bought a bike i just went in the store, told them what bike i wanted, they said we will order it, i payed $100 deposit and a week later got my bike.