Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When new in town, How 2 find a decent bike shop?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 09:44 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

This is a spinoff from Support your local bike shop thread.

I've often wondered. If you've move to or a riding through a new town or city and you need to use a bicycle shop for a repair, how do you go about finding a shop that's good or at least is reputable? What criteria do you use to determine if a shop is good?

Cheers
Old 02-06-20, 09:53 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Google maps?

Seriously, that's your first step. But I wouldn't recommend necessarily driving to every bike shop in your area. Call them, find out if they have a bike club. Even if you don't really like riding in groups (I hate riding in groups). Show up at one and ask them about the bike shop and where they go (and what other shops they go to and how they compare).

I suspect there's really no substitute for word of mouth. I don't use local bike shops enough for it to matter (just order parts that I know I want and buy basic maintenance stuff, so it doesn't really matter).
Old 02-06-20, 09:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Contact local cycling clubs if there are any. (Be careful ... it seems that frequently the local shop and the local club may be affiliated ) and ask the people who actually ride a lot in the area who they trust.

Google and Yelp can maybe help .... but a lot of stupid people make stupid complaints about user error that they refuse to admit to, and then blame the shop for everything.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-06-20, 10:31 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
google is your fiend but yes be careful of the reviews...can be misleading. If I am in question I actually look at the websites if they have one.

If they don't have one that is the one I always use I love the old school shops
Old 02-06-20, 11:06 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
I have a bias for Trek stores.

But, I have used bike shops in many different places across the country. Many just to solve a problem while touring and such. For all my experiences over the last 25 years, I only found one that I was incredibly disappointed (it was a store that sold/rented beach cruisers in Florida and I requested they put my touring bike back together after it was boxed. They did not have that experience but they thought they could do it over the phone) and a couple others were under my expectations but not a total failure.

On tours I have had stores emergency order tires. Store owners who looked through all their back inventory for a cheap wheel to get me through the tour. Moved first in line in the shop to repair XYZ . All worked. All fairly priced.

If I had no one to contact, I would just try one. I expect it will go OK.
Old 02-06-20, 11:19 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Find nice people first

worry about the bikes 2nd
Old 02-06-20, 11:27 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
There's a website nextdoor.com, which is a very localized BBS kind of thing. It's a good place for questions about community, local businesses, etc.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 02-06-20, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane

I suspect there's really no substitute for word of mouth.
^^This^^ Our club's FB page and list serve get questions about LBS fairly frequently.

Ultimately, I think one asking for recommendations needs to consider that there are usually one or two people who claim to have bad experiences with a shop that everyone else seems to love. Happened relatively recently. Guy posted a rant because the lone person inside a LBS would not open up the shop early for him, let him in, drop what he was doing and fix his broken chain on demand. There could have been a multitude of reasons why the worker could not accommodate him at the moment. Who knows. Maybe worker had a deliverable due at opening time. (One person pointed out that business insurance may not cover incidents occurring outside of official hours.) And I will note that the complainer was not a previous customer. There is no shortage of brats in this day and age.

Once I lost a plate on a chain link during a club ride. Know what I did. I limped to a nearby LBS and waited patiently for it to open rather than banging on the door and demanding immediate attention while asserting my status as a repeat customer. Once the shop opened I was in and out in 15 min. No charge for the labor. Some time later I returned to that shop and ordered a super fly custom ti frame that the shop owner builds himself and had it built up there. Wanna see a photo of it?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-06-20, 12:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by debade

On tours I have had stores emergency order tires. Store owners who looked through all their back inventory for a cheap wheel to get me through the tour. Moved first in line in the shop to repair XYZ . All worked. All fairly priced.
I have had similar experiences on tour, especially my group x-country tour. We pulled into Bowling Green, OH, where we had a rest day. I was having more wheel trouble and it was discovered that I needed a replacement. Another guy had a hit a cinder block sized pot hole two days before and needed both wheels replaced. A third guy also needed a wheel dealt with. The shop replaced my wheel, the two wheels of one of the other guys and helped arrange for a warranty replacement down the road at another shop. It also did some minor work on the bikes of a few others in the group of 13.

Probably the coolest place was Alt Bike & Board in Minneapolis, another place where we had a rest day. Not only did the shop have replacement tires of the very type and size I had started the tour with, they did work on my bike (and others') over night, so they were ready the afternoon of our rest day.
Old 02-06-20, 01:09 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Find nice people first

worry about the bikes 2nd
When I'm not desperate, I like to go browse shops. (I've done this several times on business trips where I'm likely to be back in the neighborhood, and hopefully I'll be able to arrange a nice ride next time.) If they're willing to spend a little time with you, show you some bikes similar to what you ride or want to ride, have something in your price range, go for the next step -- otherwise your next step is the next bike shop on the google search.

My next step has been to ask for something I either need or want, that my home (or former home) shop didn't have much to show. One shop had a pre-set torque wrench I figured I needed after stripping the stem on my travel bike. (Oops!) Another had a pair of gloves that fit me and work well down around freezing (nothing my home shops had in stock). All nice people, treated me well, answered my questions, and knew what they were talking about. I'd be happy to buy a new bike in a different town, from either of those.
Old 02-06-20, 01:10 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Some time later I returned to that shop and ordered a super fly custom ti frame that the shop owner builds himself and had it built up there. Wanna see a photo of it?
Let me guess, is it a lovely pale green?
Old 02-06-20, 03:22 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If I am riding through town and I need a repair then I am more concerned about finding the closest shop, not worrying about which is the 'best.'

However, it has been a long time (decades) since I considered leaving my bike for a stranger to work on. I am confident that I can get what I need to fix it myself (a tire or a chain or a cable) from any shop, possibly even from X-Mart or CDN-Tire, and get rolling again.

Here's a place I found when I needed to replace a tire while touring a few years ago -
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.37252...2!8i6656?hl=en
'Ami du Velo' = ~Friend of the Bike

If I was trying to buy new Ultegra shift levers or a set of HED wheels, I likely would have looked for a different shop, but once I figured out how to describe the size tire I wanted in French (sept-cents par trente-cinq = 700 x 35) I got an affordable solution and use of their compressor to top up my tire.

Old 02-06-20, 05:09 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Depends on the town. It might only have 1 shop
Old 02-06-20, 07:05 PM
. Cranky .
Idiot Pro Tempore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 23 Posts
Indy, I think you need to make a calendar. Every month could have a picture of your bike leaning against a different wall.
Likes For . Cranky .:
Old 02-06-20, 07:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Visit the shop in person and find out for yourself, don't rely on what other people think or say about any particular bike shop...I have 6 bike shops in my city and I would never call any of them bad. They are all different but none of them are bad...It also depends on the employes who work there. Some bike shops change employes regularly. The asshat you were dealing with today at a certain shop may not work there next year. I wouldn't condemn the whole bike shop just because of one unpleasant experience with one certain employe.
Old 02-06-20, 09:09 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Visit the shop in person and find out for yourself, don't rely on what other people think or say about any particular bike shop...I have 6 bike shops in my city and I would never call any of them bad. They are all different but none of them are bad...It also depends on the employes who work there. Some bike shops change employes regularly. The asshat you were dealing with today at a certain shop may not work there next year. I wouldn't condemn the whole bike shop just because of one unpleasant experience with one certain employe.
I sure as blazes would when the bicycle shop guy hammered my chainstay in order to get a bit more clearance for the small chainring on my Dura Ace AX crankset. I only went there because it was near where I was riding through the city. I had no idea that the guy was going to do that. It was the first and last time I'd ever deal with them. I wanted them to put a thin shim between the fixed cup and the bottom bracket shell. There was room on the adjustable cup for it to be threaded on a bit more to compensate. Instead of doing what I wanted they did this:

That's why I wonder how to tell a decent shop when it's your first visit to a shop in a new town or city.

Cheers
Old 02-07-20, 07:11 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I would first of all ask around on social media. Maybe join a local bike group on Facebook if you're into that sort of thing. Find out about group rides and go to some of them. Ask the people on the rides who they like and why.

Or you could always try just going into the shop. I've found that I have a pretty good feel for how a shop is based on how they treat me when I go in.
Old 02-07-20, 07:32 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
See if someone on this site lives in the area. With so many riders that this site attracts, seems likely someone would live in, or know someone who lives in the area and could advise on which shops are good.
Old 02-07-20, 08:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Take a look back in the shop area. If there's a Campagnolo tool kit on the bench, that's a good start.
Old 02-07-20, 09:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Buy some ****ty old bikes, disable them in subtle and clever ways, and take one to each shop
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-08-20, 08:15 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I generally just like to visit the places and scope em out, maybe buy a couple consumables. I'm always interested in what the shop area looks like, and what kind of components they have displayed. That gives me a good idea of who their target customer is.

scott s.
Old 02-08-20, 08:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Google maps?

Seriously, that's your first step. But I wouldn't recommend necessarily driving to every bike shop in your area.
What about RIDING to the different bike shops? It could be fun exploring a new city. And, you'll have your bike with you.

I must admit, most of the bike shops I've gone to, I've encountered on my travels, not specifically looking, but keeping my eye out for bikes and bike displays.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-08-20, 09:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I would go into the shop and chat with them and let them know you are new in town and see if you like them. Reviews online don't really effect me much as I have dealt with so many customers you can bend over backwards for and try to help as much as you can and they are still angry and want to write bad reviews or people who just flat out lie because they can. A good way to find a B.S. review is see if they mention another shop or dealer or something as being better that is usually a sign of B.S. and someone trying to trick you. A good shop should be friendly or attempt to be friendly and have some cool stuff around and it is always nice to have someone who knows what you have especially with odd and vintage stuff.