Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2024 Endurace

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2024 Endurace

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 07:32 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I see the Pinarello Dogma is one of those frames where the STA gets slacker in larger sizes. The smallest frame is 74.4 deg and the largest is 72. Canyon tend to retain the same STA across the size range. Previously 73.5 and now around 72.
Yes, it is cheaper to have one mold for the rear. Trek also properly fits tall riders by changing STA, slacker down to about 72 degrees on the big bikes. But many companies do vary the STA, Canyon is one of the few to have cheaped out.

I looked very, very closely at the Ultimate CFR and Endurace last Summer. There was no way to make them fit, principally due to STA and stem length. I suspect many unsuspecting riders bought an Endurace thinking it was an Endurance geometry, and it very clearly was a full on race geometry.
Old 08-18-23, 12:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I don’t see an SL version of the new Endurace. Only SLX and CFR. That really bumps up the price level. The SLX frame adds about £800 over the previous SL with the same component level.
The CF SL is now just CF. They used to have AL, CF SL, and CF SLX. Then the made the AL just "Endurace", the CF SL became just CF, and I THINK the old CF SLX became the CF SL. And now they've introduced the new CF SLX and CFR over top of them. Maybe?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-18-23, 01:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Yes, it is cheaper to have one mold for the rear. Trek also properly fits tall riders by changing STA, slacker down to about 72 degrees on the big bikes. But many companies do vary the STA, Canyon is one of the few to have cheaped out.

I looked very, very closely at the Ultimate CFR and Endurace last Summer. There was no way to make them fit, principally due to STA and stem length. I suspect many unsuspecting riders bought an Endurace thinking it was an Endurance geometry, and it very clearly was a full-on race geometry.
Depends on whether you consider slacker STA to be integral to endurance geometry, or whether it's just higher stack and shorter reach. With the stack and reach of the Endurace, it was never really "full on race geometry". Canyon always claimed the Endurace was meant to be more of an endurance bike than a race bike, not a full-on endurance bike (whatever that is).

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-19-23, 08:33 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
But this version has much cheaper alloy wheels. I was comparing like-for-like component spec to mine. I paid £4600 for my CF SL8 etap and the new equivalent (but with SLX frame) is now £5250. Same wheels and same groupset.
My CF SL had the DT Swiss "LN" wheels and that is what is shown on the new model. As I stated previously this new SLX model appears almost identical (except some geometry) to my CF SL build and it's priced $800 lower. If I'm missing something please let me know.

To get down into the weeds... the only differences I can tell are the new handlebar/stem config and possibly the saddle. Maybe they're using different carbon?
Old 08-20-23, 09:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
My CF SL had the DT Swiss "LN" wheels and that is what is shown on the new model. As I stated previously this new SLX model appears almost identical (except some geometry) to my CF SL build and it's priced $800 lower. If I'm missing something please let me know.

To get down into the weeds... the only differences I can tell are the new handlebar/stem config and possibly the saddle. Maybe they're using different carbon?
I don’t know, maybe pricing was quite different in your market. I only know the numbers are correct for my specific bike. The alloy wheel versions on the CF SL were a lot cheaper than you quoted earlier.
Old 08-20-23, 10:24 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by genejockey
The CF SL is now just CF. They used to have AL, CF SL, and CF SLX. Then the made the AL just "Endurace", the CF SL became just CF, and I THINK the old CF SLX became the CF SL. And now they've introduced the new CF SLX and CFR over top of them. Maybe?
When I bought my CF SL in 2022 there was a CF version available too. AL, CF, CF SL, CF SLX.
The CF available now is the same model.

The 2022 SLX was only available in top tier group set builds for just under £8k. The SL was available in second tier builds for around £4,500 and third tier for around £3000.

Now they are offering a top tier build only on the CFR at around £9k and second tier builds on the SLX starting at £3500 for 105 spec and going up to £5250 for Force eTap.

So it’s good news for those who may have previously wanted an SLX frame with a second tier group set, but bad news for those who favoured the cheaper and arguably more durable SL frame.

If I was buying one now I would get the CF SLX 8 AXS at £5250, which is £750 more expensive than my SL 8 version of the exact same build.
Old 08-20-23, 11:49 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
I have my sights on the CF SLX 8 Di2 (Ultegra Build) w/Power Meter, USD 4199.00. The thing that bothers me about Canyon is that their availability changes weekly. If I'm not mistaken the bike I want was showing in Blue the day when they announced this model but now seems to have been removed. Now it only shows in Black. From what I can tell my choice may not be available for anywhere from 1 - 4 weeks. I'm also considering the same bike in the "Aero" config (in Blue) USD 5499.00.
Old 08-20-23, 01:53 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I have my sights on the CF SLX 8 Di2 (Ultegra Build) w/Power Meter, USD 4199.00. The thing that bothers me about Canyon is that their availability changes weekly. If I'm not mistaken the bike I want was showing in Blue the day when they announced this model but now seems to have been removed. Now it only shows in Black. From what I can tell my choice may not be available for anywhere from 1 - 4 weeks. I'm also considering the same bike in the "Aero" config (in Blue) USD 5499.00.
They release bikes in batches and tend to sell out quickly in popular models. You can sign up for email notification for a specific model that may be out of stock. That’s what I ended up doing. When it came back in stock I received an email and then ordered. A few days later they were sold out again, but this was still during the pandemic bike shortage.