Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is everyone on the forum a gearhead?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 08:18 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts

I've been a biker for too many years. Give me a nice bike with good components and I'll ride it and maintain it. But after that I really dont give a hoot about the wheels, components, tires etc. And other than wiping down the bike now and then and giving it a shot of oil on the chain, I leave it alone. These pictures of spotless bikes with clean chains are obnoxious. It used to be you would look at a bunch of racing bikes, find the one with the chipped paint and filthy chain, and that was the fast guys bike.

I mean brakes stop you, derailleurs shift the gears, wheels spin. And those darn computers. I know when I'm going fast or slow without a computer telling me about it.

Anyone just like riding?
Old 03-22-08, 08:20 PM
ezoons
Il cucchiaio

Bikes: Velosolex St. Pierre (RIP in peace), Giant OCR2 (sold), ADK Bottecchia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. You weird man.
Old 03-22-08, 08:22 PM
kukusz
A Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wash my bike once every 3 months or so. Probably would get a couple more Watts out of my drivetrain if I kept it in better shape. However, any aesthetic issues I could care less about.
Old 03-22-08, 08:24 PM
tjspahr
My leg made the cover!

Bikes: Trek, Arbourne, BMC, Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
These pictures of spotless bikes with clean chains are obnoxious.

Anyone just like riding?
Now you're just talking crazy talk.
Old 03-22-08, 08:26 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
my bikes are never spotless, but i do clean my drivetrain every few rides since many of my routes include stretches of dirt road and the chain, cassette and pulleys get pretty gunked up.
Old 03-22-08, 08:33 PM
Cdy291

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not as worried about keeping my bike looking brand new but I do keep it highly maintained. I am taking something apart, greasing, and readjusting all the time, almost every day. And I wash it every one to two weeks. Usually every Friday so it looks good for the weekend.
Old 03-22-08, 08:51 PM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bikes are spotless and well maintained. A bike is a precision, fined tuned machine. I would never ride a dirty bike.
Old 03-22-08, 09:00 PM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard_Rides
My bikes are spotless and well maintained. A bike is a precision, fined tuned machine. I would never ride a dirty bike.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentive
Old 03-22-08, 09:07 PM
Nem01

Bikes: 03 Peak R2000, 07 Ridley Orion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you look after your bike and it'll look after you...
Old 03-22-08, 09:09 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I buy new things if I need something to get comfortable, for a build, or if it's worn and needs replacing.

I lube my chain and wipe it every 500 miles or so. That's about it though.

I will, however, give the drivetrain a once over before a race weekend.
Old 03-22-08, 09:10 PM
pseudobrit
1.9lb/in

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been a biker for too many years. Give me a nice bike with good components and I'll ride it and maintain it. But after that I really dont give a hoot about the wheels, components, tires etc. And other than wiping down the bike now and then and giving it a shot of oil on the chain, I leave it alone. These pictures of spotless bikes with clean chains are obnoxious. It used to be you would look at a bunch of racing bikes, find the one with the chipped paint and filthy chain, and that was the fast guys bike.

I mean brakes stop you, derailleurs shift the gears, wheels spin. And those darn computers. I know when I'm going fast or slow without a computer telling me about it.

Anyone just like riding?
I don't use a computer, just a HRM so I don't goof off or blow myself up. I clean off the major grime and bugs and spilt Cytomax. I'd rather be riding the bike than taking care of it, but I know if I don't do the latter the former becomes a pain in the ass.
Old 03-22-08, 10:34 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'll clean my bike when I['m board and have nothing better to do.
I clean my bike a lot.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-22-08, 10:40 PM
Youngin
ub3r n00b

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I'll clean my bike when I'm board and have nothing better to do.
I clean my bike a lot.
+1, that or trackstand in the garage when weather is death
Old 03-23-08, 12:09 AM
tomoscotto

Bikes: Scott S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this may sound stupid to some, but you should never "wash" your bike....

campag voids the warranty the instant its washed

wiping it down with a damp cloth is fine, otherwise the water from the hose gets inside the hub and other parts, its not good to ride in the rain but it doesn't reek havok because the water is not pressured.

every three months i degrease my chain and cassette, after every ride i wipe it i can do thousands of km's without wearing it out because the dirt acts like sandpaper

you say that "real" cyclists have dirty chain? must be pretty rich to afford the constant new chain and cassette from all the training that "real" cyclists do...

so what does your "maintenance" consist of i mean you don't clean your chain, just oil it (which would just help it wear faster), nor any other components

we all obviously enjoy riding or else we wouldn't be here, but the rest of enjoy it more with our maintained bikes

yes man you are weird
Old 03-23-08, 12:42 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My bikes are spotless most of the time and I like it that way. Except one. The one I ride the most. It's pretty trashed at all times.
Old 03-23-08, 12:51 AM
Dynamic
San Diego, California

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mind your own business. have a dirty bike if thats what you please.
Old 03-23-08, 01:58 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

Anyone just like riding?
You are the anti-Schwag. On BF that's like the anti-Christ, but much, much, much worse.

God help you my son.

Old 03-23-08, 03:46 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I think that looking for the chipped bike is accurate, now that many bikes don't rust or come with touch up paint. Dirty chain simply means lack of pride in equipment.

I would look for dirty spots which are hard to clean - inside the new skeleton brakes, the springs on virtually any sidepull brake, etc. Then you know they were training, did a 98% job cleaning the bike, kept what's important clean, but didn't kill themselves to get the last 2% cleaned off.

Cleaning the bike is not that hard or difficult:
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...your-bike.html

Yeah I also (when I had a garage) washed and waxed my car. Also rubbed clean with clay. Now it's been unwashed for 8 months or so. I do it if I can, I don't if not.

My bike has chips on it though from getting tossed in various vehicles for transport to races or far off training camps.

When a car company went out to design a new retro styled car (I forget what it was, maybe the Thunderbird), the first they did was to get the designers to go and wash an original. There's nothing like washing a car, carefully, to learn you about your car's contours. Subtle details designed to hide a high waistline or tiny wheels or whatever all pop out when you run a soapy sponge over (intentional) creases, trim, and contours. If you've washed your car you probably know how your windshield wipers sit relative to your hood (or if you've cleared ice/snow off them, or if you've replaced the blades).

Washing your bike does the same thing. You automatically see brake pad wear, feel how wiggly the chain is (worn ones are more loose and wiggle more), eyeball your rings, hear your freehub body, etc. Hopefully you discover nothing unusual but a crack in a rim, a worn brake pad, or maybe a chain on its last legs or maybe with a stiff/damaged link... they could all cause a problem or ultimately cause you to crash.

cdr
Old 03-23-08, 04:10 AM
GlassWolf
cat person

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, some WD40 goes a long way as a water repellant in rainy rides.

+1 on taking care of a machine and it taking care of you.
I have a dragcar I built, and I'd never dream of treating it like the typical soccer mom treats her car. the 50,000 mile oil change if she remembers, and take it to a shop when it breaks.
I maintain the car top to bottom, and I do the same with my bikes, so they'll all last 20+ years just like my first bike is doing to this day, and still ridden regularly.

and yeah I'm probably OCD, too.. comes with being an Engineer.
Old 03-23-08, 04:59 AM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone just like riding?
That's like going over to a Ham radio site and lambasting its members for deciding to communicate with Ham radios. Who does that?? Cell phones are a dime a dozen. Screaming is even cheaper.

There is room for you also in the spectrum of cycling. We can all co-exist. I am fast. My bikes stay clean. I'm weird like that.
Old 03-23-08, 05:11 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts

Anyone just like riding?
I'm sure most people here clean and maintain their bikes, but its still very hard to keep them totally new looking. Most people photograph their bikes when they are new or newly assembled, not after thousands of miles, which is why so many bikes posted have that fresh minty new look.
Old 03-23-08, 05:49 AM
GlassWolf
cat person

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when you spend 3 or 5 grand on a bike, you want it to last. maintaining the bike, makes it last.
Old 03-23-08, 05:54 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
uhhh yeah we're gearheads, it's in the contract, man!
Old 03-23-08, 06:00 AM
Hammertoe
A Little Bent

Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe we do both...

I certainly do...

Ride the heck out of the bike...

And keep it spotless...

I mean what else is there to do...

Pay attention to the wife and kids...

(Oh and post on BF)....
Old 03-23-08, 06:15 AM
Turkey Feathers
nothing to see here

Bikes: Kona MTB, Cdale CAAD9 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm anal, my road bike is kept very clean...I've got a terrible habit of taking very good care of things that I paid good money for...well my MTB probly has a dirty frame most of the time, but the drive train is cleaned after every ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.