Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

riding with a major/severe back injury? Good? bad?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 04:29 PM
Ducky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a back injury. its bad enough that i have 4 different doctors, saying i need surgery.

My problem is L5 pinching my spinal cord causing loss of feeling, motor-function, and sometime severe pain in my low bag, legs. I also have a 'mild' neck injury as well.

I bought a bike about a month ago. a Trek 4300. I have been riding it (weather permitting) about 2-8 miles a day. Nothing offroad, no bumpy trails... all paved areas.

Now... my question is, can this make me 'worse'? Overall, I do feel a 'tinge' better... and I have noticed the ability to ride farther, longer and not be so dead when I get home... and I feel like I have more energy as a result.. But, I am curious, can cycling do damage to a back thats in bad shape? Overall, i am pretty comfortable on my bike, and I havent had any pain from riding it. Infact everytime I get home from riding i feel better.. Not great, but definitely better than when I had left.

I do realise that falling off the bike/crashing the bike could have some VERY negative effects on me. So I have taken some precautions in that regard - got a helmet, i wear pants, and boots, and also leather gloves when ever I go out. So in that regard I am 'safer' But, i dunno, what you think?
Old 05-20-08, 04:44 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Ask your doctor. Nobody on here is qualified to answer your question, not even doctors who read BF, because they haven't examined you and don't know you what exactly is wrong with your back. Depending on your exact problem, riding might not impact it at all, or make it considerably better, or considerably worse.

I do realise that falling off the bike/crashing the bike could have some VERY negative effects on me. So I have taken some precautions in that regard - got a helmet, i wear pants, and boots, and also leather gloves when ever I go out.
I don't think you're thinking very rationally here. How is ANY of this safety equipment going to protect your back and neck? It simply can't. This is not to say that you shouldn't ride (anybody can be seriously injured while riding; it's a risk you accept when getting on a bike, just like with any other activities), but simply pointing out that you're not decreasing risk of spinal injury by wearing gloves and a helmet.
Old 05-20-08, 05:39 PM
deraltekluge

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ducky
I have a back injury. its bad enough that i have 4 different doctors, saying i need surgery.

I do realise that falling off the bike/crashing the bike could have some VERY negative effects on me. So I have taken some precautions in that regard - got a helmet, i wear pants, and boots, and also leather gloves when ever I go out. So in that regard I am 'safer' But, i dunno, what you think?
But none of those precautions do anything to protect your injured back.
Old 05-20-08, 07:09 PM
duff1301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this 1st

I have had back and neck pain for years, I started going to a Chiropractor and
it changed my life. I bike 300 plus miles a month during the summer months pain
free and have never felt better. I'm 47 and in good health. Not all Chiro's are the
same but one that deals with wellness seem to be more about long term health instead
of just pain management. IMO
Old 05-20-08, 09:17 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Ducky
and sometime severe pain in my low bag,
Definitely check that out with your healthcare provider.
Old 05-21-08, 05:49 AM
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
Ask your doctor. Nobody on here is qualified to answer your question, not even doctors who read BF, because they haven't examined you and don't know you what exactly is wrong with your back. Depending on your exact problem, riding might not impact it at all, or make it considerably better, or considerably worse.

I don't think you're thinking very rationally here. How is ANY of this safety equipment going to protect your back and neck? It simply can't. This is not to say that you shouldn't ride (anybody can be seriously injured while riding; it's a risk you accept when getting on a bike, just like with any other activities), but simply pointing out that you're not decreasing risk of spinal injury by wearing gloves and a helmet.
+1 Couldn't have said this better myself.