Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

NYC DOT's 'Don't be a Jerk' Campaign is a Public Relations Failure

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 01:59 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<snip>

Finally, cyclists must become known as road users in good standing. While it garnered some controversy within the cycling community, WABA's Resolution to Ride Responsibly strikes a better tone than a similar effort being undertaken by New York City's DOT, called Don't Be a Jerk.

The New York campaign reinforces the idea that cyclists are dangerous road users in need of reform, instead of everyday people trying to safely get around town. While WABA's pledge and its related ride held on Saturday could have been more affirmative by noting the many cyclists who are already responsible road users, it's a step in the right direction. After all, it's not often you see transportation advocacy organizations ask their members and supporters to behave responsibly.

DC deserves credit for staying civil instead of devolving into a bike lane war, but there are steps we can take to ensure the discourse about cycling is as good as, if not better than, the facilities being installed. Demonstrating and recognizing that people on bikes are just like us is an important first step.

Full Story: https://greatergreaterwashington.org/...just-like-you/

More:
https://www.infrastructurist.com/2010...ont-be-a-jerk/
https://gothamist.com/2010/09/17/dot_...p_being_je.php
Old 01-12-11, 02:38 AM
CritEastwood
aka Jerome

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Telling New Yorkers to not be a jerk is akin to voiding liquid into an airflow production machine.
Old 01-12-11, 08:42 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by criteastwood
telling new yorkers to not be a jerk is akin to voiding liquid into an airflow production machine.
roflma
. . /L
=()>()
Old 01-12-11, 08:46 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW my resolutions

Baltimore Spokes - Our Cyclists Resolution

WABA put out a somewhat controversial Resolution to Ride Responsibly. Personally I think cyclists should set an example of a road user that everyone should try to emulate, be a cut above the rest if you would. So here is our Cyclist's Pledge:

As a cyclist I pledge not to ride over the speed limit putting other lives at risk.

As a cyclist I pledge not to kill anyone with my bicycle even if it was just an accident.

As a cyclist I pledge not to use my bicycle to scare, threaten or intimidate old men, young women, children or anyone else who is otherwise not bothering anyone and behaving in a lawful manor.

As a cyclist I pledge not to contribute to congestion and when traffic is at a standstill I will use the space between cars (when safe to do so) to continue on my way.

As a cyclist I pledge never to contribute to gridlock.

As a cyclist I pledge not to contribute to the parking problem.

As a cyclist I pledge while riding I will not increase our demand on foreign oil, nor will I contribute to the rising cost of gas by increasing demand.

As a cyclist I pledge while eating steak or any other high calorie or carbohydrate rich foods I will tell others that I need this because I bike a lot. (Assuming the latter is true.)

As a cyclist I pledge while riding I will not contribute (with any significance) to global warming gases.

As a cyclist I pledge while riding I will not add toxic air pollutants to the air we all breathe.

As a cyclist I pledge I will try to keep myself reasonably fit and not become another statistic of the obesity epidemic.

Now if only we can get other road users to make a similar pledge the roads and our world would truly be a safer and better place.
. . /L
=()>()