Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The 3rd Annual Bourbon and Tobacco Tour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The 3rd Annual Bourbon and Tobacco Tour

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 09:18 PM
Captain Paul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds awesome. If the UK Florida game is at night and if I don’t go to the Swamp for the game I’m in.
Old 06-12-20, 03:45 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
If I can square a schedule conflict I'm in. Great riding down there and being around BF people is always a pleasure.
Old 06-14-20, 06:05 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I've updated the RideWithGPS link, and updated the route and ride profile images in the first post.

The new loop at the southern end of the ride can easily be skipped if you'd like to do that. The loop adds 10 miles and about 700 feet of climbing to the total, there are a couple of nice climbs in that loop if you're so inclined (pun intended).

I hope to see y'all in western Kentucky in September.

Last edited by speedevil; 06-14-20 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-14-20, 07:04 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

The cue sheet for the full route (56 miles) has been updated, and I've added second cue sheet for the partial route (46 miles) that skips the new 10 mile loop at the southern end.
Old 06-14-20, 06:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
MS150, actually 2x100, is same weekend.
If not cancelled.
Already committed to it, so will play it by ear...
Old 07-01-20, 09:50 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Bump.

Lodging acquired.
Old 08-06-20, 06:37 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

I've updated the first post with some new information about the Saturday dinner/cookout. With all of the large events being cancelled this year, I'm looking forward to this little event more than ever.

There will be some local riders joining us again this year, so we should have a good group. Come to western Kentucky and ride the hills in the Land Between the Lakes. We have hills, good pavement, gravel, bikes, and bourbon. What's not to like?
Old 08-25-20, 11:19 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

We're coming up on a little over two weeks to go before the Bourbon and Tobacco Tour, 2020 version.

A local riding buddy of mine is going to lead the gravel ride on Sunday, he says "bring a mountain bike". I'll let y'all make your own call on that one.

I hope a bunch of the BF inmates can make it, we're going to have a good time.
Old 08-29-20, 07:50 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

The 2020 edition of the Bourbon and Tobacco Tour is two weeks from today. In anticipation of the ride in LBL, we decided to ride in LBL today to check out the pavement, and found excellent pavement except for one spot, and courteous drivers. 3 cars patiently slowed behind us as we crested a hill, then they passed us in the opposite lane. We all waved at them. Once we were off the Trace road, I think we only saw 2 or 3 cars.

The ride wasn't quite the same route as the Bourbon Tour, but it was close. We went 28 miles, with 2200 feet of climbing. A good ride. I must have angered the flat tire gods, because I got two flats today, coupled with a flat on the Wednesday night shop ride. So 3 flats in two rides. Something ain't quite right, but I'll figure it out.

So make your plans to come to western Kentucky on the 12th for a good road ride, and stock around for some gravel riding on the 13th. A local friend and riding buddy is leading the gravel ride on Sunday. I do not know where he will take us, but at a minimum we'll have stories to tell.
Old 09-13-20, 04:41 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Let's have some pictures of the rides please !

Originally Posted by speedevil
The 2020 edition of the Bourbon and Tobacco Tour is two weeks from today. In anticipation of the ride in LBL, we decided to ride in LBL today to check out the pavement, and found excellent pavement except for one spot, and courteous drivers. 3 cars patiently slowed behind us as we crested a hill, then they passed us in the opposite lane. We all waved at them. Once we were off the Trace road, I think we only saw 2 or 3 cars.

The ride wasn't quite the same route as the Bourbon Tour, but it was close. We went 28 miles, with 2200 feet of climbing. A good ride. I must have angered the flat tire gods, because I got two flats today, coupled with a flat on the Wednesday night shop ride. So 3 flats in two rides. Something ain't quite right, but I'll figure it out.

So make your plans to come to western Kentucky on the 12th for a good road ride, and stock around for some gravel riding on the 13th. A local friend and riding buddy is leading the gravel ride on Sunday. I do not know where he will take us, but at a minimum we'll have stories to tell.
Old 09-13-20, 05:54 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

The 3rd annual Bourbon and Tobacco Tour road ride is in the historical documents. We had good weather (and timing - more on that later). The roads in LBL do not disappoint - long climbs on the Trace road, rollers, and some short steep climbs just north of 68 on the way back. A friend and local riding buddy volunteered to be our SAG driver for the day, and that was a nice luxury. We had cold water, gatorade, and snacks - plus a work stand, floor pump, and a toolbox. Fortunately we didn't need any of the latter, and the drinks were nice as it warmed up and we worked on the climbs. On to the photos.

In the first photo, left to right: Doug from Madisonville, KY - Mike from Louisville, KY - me partially hidden behind Bob - Bob from Memphis, TN - Nic from Springfield, IL.

After we got back to the start point we were having a snack and a drink, and getting ready to head back out for the south loop. We heard something that sounded like thunder, and then heard it again. Sometimes trucks on on 68 can make a sound like that, but after looking at the radar it was pretty obvious that it wasn't a truck. It was a storm followed by a large blob of rain. We decided to skip the south loop and to change out of our cycling kit and to grab takeout for a late lunch in the park in Cadiz. Not 5 minutes after we left the visitor center the rain came. It rained until early evening, so we made the right call, sadly.

The trail ride is Sunday morning, and right now it looks like the rain may miss us today. We'll find out.

Last edited by speedevil; 09-13-20 at 06:31 AM.
Likes For speedevil:
Old 09-13-20, 03:55 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

The Bourbon Tour Trail Ride is done. We met at the Wrangler's Camp turnoff on 68 in LBL, and went east a ways on the path to warm up before starting the trail. From this point to the Golden Pond Visitor Center, you're basically climbing, but the trail is almost never straight. Overcooking some of these turns is not a good idea, there are some steep dropoffs if you're not careful. After the visitor center, continuing west to Fenton Campground is mostly a descent down English hill. We went to a picnic shelter and had some water and snacks, then headed back up English hill. it's a good climb back up to the visitor center. Continuing west back to our start point is mostly descending, but there are some good climbs in this part of the route. The rain held off and we had a good ride on the MTBs.

Thank you to those that travelled to western Kentucky to ride, you made the planning worthwhile. A special thanks to Greg, our SAG driver for the road ride. A luxury we haven't had before, and it was a great addition. And thanks to Doug for leading the trail ride today.

Already thinking of some changes for the 2021 edition of the Bourbon Tour. Stay tuned.
Old 09-13-20, 06:43 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Massive thanks to Greg as I needed to avail myself of his ferry service - the hills and my lack of riding this year were not a good combination for me. Next year, I tells ya!!