Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who's riding te Hotter'N Hell Hundred century ride this year?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who's riding te Hotter'N Hell Hundred century ride this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 04:43 PM
RetroDork

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Ricer LE, 43 pound vintage Raleigh, Gary Fisher MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who's riding the Hotter'N Hell Hundred century ride this year?

It's supposed to be the biggest century ride in the country. 14,000 riders last year.
100 miles in 100 degree heat! What could be more fun than that?

I want to ride it, but I'm wondering about local accommodations. Are all the hotel rooms within 100 miles booked solid every year, or are there some semi-affordable options? how far in advance do you need to book your room?

Last edited by RetroDork; 08-11-15 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 05:00 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Years ago, the ride was broadcast on TV. It was the first time I heard the name Lance 'Army' Armstrong. He was a Cat. III at the time. He bridged up to the Pro I II field. Kent Bostick was driving the field in the crosswinds. I betcha that surprised him seeing some unknown rider bridge up.
Old 08-11-15, 05:11 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm going. My first time. Got lucky and got a room with someone taking a camper.

I hear the YMCA will house folks.
Old 08-11-15, 05:22 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RetroDork
It's supposed to be the biggest century ride in the country. 14,000 riders last year.
100 miles in 100 degree heat! What could be more fun than that?

I want to ride it, but I'm wondering about local accommodations. Are all the hotel rooms within 100 miles booked solid every year, or are there some semi-affordable options? how far in advance do you need to book your room?
Typically, you need to get hotel reservations several months in advance. If you're serious about a place to stay, I know someone who had reservations they wanted to sell. But, they are not cheap. Probably $180. to $190. a night, with a two night minimum.
These are in Wichita Falls. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if they are still available.
Old 08-11-15, 05:26 PM
RetroDork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
Typically, you need to get hotel reservations several months in advance. If you're serious about a place to stay, I know someone who had reservations they wanted to sell. But, they are not cheap. Probably $180. to $190. a night, with a two night minimum.
These are in Wichita Falls. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if they are still available.
I'm afraid I won't be able to make it this year... but I'm trying to find out for next year.
I wonder if it might be easier/cheaper to rent an RV up there?
Or I wonder if it might be feasible to stay in Fort Worth and drive in in the morning (of course that means you have to actually go into FW )
Old 08-11-15, 05:49 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went in 2010. Once was enough for me. About 10k of the 14k riders are morons. The guy I went with left with a concussion and separated shoulder because a guy jumped a median and crossed the path at like 45 degrees. . Lost bottles all over the road from inexperienced riders and possibly the most boring/featureless course on the planet.
Old 08-11-15, 06:05 PM
RetroDork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Went in 2010. Once was enough for me. About 10k of the 14k riders are morons. The guy I went with left with a concussion and separated shoulder because a guy jumped a median and crossed the path at like 45 degrees. . Lost bottles all over the road from inexperienced riders and possibly the most boring/featureless course on the planet.
What percentage of them finish the 100 miles? Any idea?

possibly the most boring/featureless course on the planet...
Tough talk for someone from Oklahoma...
Old 08-11-15, 06:30 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Key is to get an early start. The late heat is crazy. 100 deg is a best case scenario.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 08-12-15 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-11-15, 07:30 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I ride almost every year. You can make a reservation for next year after this year's ride. You can check the website for open hotel rooms and what is called indoor camping. The last few years has not been that hot staying below 100 degrees. You can read about my ride last year at this link:
Bike Riding Texas | Bicycling news, Texas | cycling events, Texas
Old 08-11-15, 07:35 PM
bikepro

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm afraid I won't be able to make it this year... but I'm trying to find out for next year.
I wonder if it might be easier/cheaper to rent an RV up there?
Or I wonder if it might be feasible to stay in Fort Worth and drive in in the morning (of course that means you have to actually go into FW )
Even better, you can stay further out in some place like Nacona. It's about 50 miles out and you can get a cheap room virtually anytime. It gets to be a pain because you have to pick up your ride package at the MMC, even if you preregister. They also have a "trade show" at the MMC. It's really just a lot of bike shops with booths where there sell stuff -- some cheap, some not so cheap.
Old 08-11-15, 08:56 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will be there for the first time !
Old 08-11-15, 10:13 PM
HornedFrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am/was fortunate enough to have family in WF and rode it last year. Yeah there's not much to see as far as scenery but the organization is top notch and it really is a spectacle with all those riders before, during, and after.
Old 08-12-15, 11:42 AM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
I will be there for the first time !
Me too... I do see a lot of these jerseys around.... must be a big thing for these parts.
Old 08-12-15, 12:35 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
I would sure be there. No doubt about it. But my jerseys drawer is getting out of hand so I better see to it.
Old 08-12-15, 01:48 PM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I can tell you I checked the Motel 6 website yesterday and they were booked in Wichita Falls. I might head down that way and stop an hour or so out the night before myself. I know there are rooms within an hour drive on my side of Wichita Falls. I also noticed there were plenty of tent camping sites available at Arrowhead State Park if you were willing to take a chance on how warm it might be and deal with the headaches that go along with camping before a ride. Dirt cheap camping though - like $10 + $3 park entrance fee for sites with no electricity.
Old 08-12-15, 02:01 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Yes, yes, and yes.

I'll charitably say it's something to do once, but doesn't even make the bucket list by a long shot. I can't fathom why people would take a couple of days out of their precious vacation time to travel across the country (people do this) to ride a barren, charred landscape full of questionable riders and get beat by the sun for 4-6 hours, or more for some people. Go to Colorado and ride some mountain roads for 40 miles instead.

I did it once, but a new-to-me bike had a wheel waiting to self implode, so I only managed to limp it to the 60 mile mark where the tire was rubbing the frame. I might go again once to complete, but I would be an idiot to do that.

It's bad enough I have to ride in 100+ degree heat every summer, but I don't need to drive several hours to do it while surrounded by a bunch of riders I don't trust.
Old 08-12-15, 03:51 PM
Mark W

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can always stay at the YMCA. We've stayed at the downtown Y the last couple of years. Bring a camping mattress of some sort since you're sleeping on the floor somewhere in the building. It's got AC, it's cheap, they provide a limited breakfast, it has bike storage, it has showers, and it's only a few blocks from the start.

Contact info is on the HHH website under alternative accommodations.

Mark W
Old 08-12-15, 07:26 PM
RetroDork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Yes, yes, and yes.

I'll charitably say it's something to do once, but doesn't even make the bucket list by a long shot. I can't fathom why people would take a couple of days out of their precious vacation time to travel across the country (people do this) to ride a barren, charred landscape full of questionable riders and get beat by the sun for 4-6 hours, or more for some people. Go to Colorado and ride some mountain roads for 40 miles instead.

I did it once, but a new-to-me bike had a wheel waiting to self implode, so I only managed to limp it to the 60 mile mark where the tire was rubbing the frame. I might go again once to complete, but I would be an idiot to do that.

It's bad enough I have to ride in 100+ degree heat every summer, but I don't need to drive several hours to do it while surrounded by a bunch of riders I don't trust.
I have family in Colorado, but the trip would probably cost almost as much as my bike. Plus, the HHH seems to have a Nietzschean survival of the fittest component to it that sounds intriguing.

Originally Posted by Mark W
You can always stay at the YMCA. We've stayed at the downtown Y the last couple of years. Bring a camping mattress of some sort since you're sleeping on the floor somewhere in the building. It's got AC, it's cheap, they provide a limited breakfast, it has bike storage, it has showers, and it's only a few blocks from the start.

Contact info is on the HHH website under alternative accommodations.

Mark W
That wouldn't be a bad idea if I was rolling solo, but I'll have my SAG wagon, err... my GF with me.
Old 08-12-15, 08:11 PM
bikepro

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What percentage of them finish the 100 miles? Any idea?

Tough talk for someone from Oklahoma...
From Oklahoma? I'm surprised they let him in. Just wait 'till Texas secedes!
Old 08-18-15, 12:59 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Signed up officially yesterday.

Now to decide whether to do the start or jump it.

And how many miles to do...
Old 08-18-15, 03:57 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
I hope to be ready to ride this next year. At this point I figure I'm one of those dangerous new riders you wont want to be around
Old 08-19-15, 11:58 AM
SA_Brak

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Key is to get an early start. The late heat is crazy. 100 deg is a best case scenario.
It almost certain that the high temp will be 97+ degrees but not certain. The high today in Wichita Falls is 71 deg with 85 for tomorrow. Unfortunately this will long be gone by next week.
Old 08-25-15, 01:40 PM
Fastfwd01

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I've got a sort of oddball question. I'm reading a few blog posts about experiences with Hotter Than Hell and it has caused me to question if it takes almost a half hour just to get to the start line is it going to throw anything off if I don't hit 'start' on my Garmin until I reach the start line? I normally don't hit start until I pass under the start of an event anyway. I just wonder if it taking so long to reach the start might throw off registering for a Strava segment of the course or anything of any consequence?

Weather is looking good as of right now last I checked a few minutes ago. I'll take the heat as long as there aren't high winds forecast.
Old 08-28-15, 07:17 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone know how to get through the Air Force Base AND get 100 miles in?

I'd like to do both if possible.
Old 08-31-15, 10:27 AM
Fastfwd01

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My personal best century time - official finish time 5:25 from the timing chip. My rolling time was more like 5:13. I was very pleased! I was just hoping to get it in under 6 hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.