Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

After a 70 mi. ride yesterday, two unusual things happened...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 03:25 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

...or at least unusual to me.

A good long ride yesterday, but I've ridden farther, having done my first century about a month ago. Have ridden this distance several times, with 30 to 50 miles about my norm per ride.

First of all, my legs started to cramp up on me at about 50 miles. I have NEVER had this to happen before. It started happening after I would climb some pretty good size hills. Whenever I'd crest the hill, it would start. I had to stop and keep my legs stretched out for about 5 or 10 minutes, before resuming. Once I started going on flat ground again, I was OK. I'm relatively sure I was hydrated efficiently, and the temp was only about 87°. I've climbed the same hills many times with no problems. Not sure why I started to cramp up this particular time.

Secondly, and the most perplexing, after I got home and proceeded to take my cycling shorts off, the silicone leg grippers were completely STUCK to the top of my leg. The worst part was, I didn't realize they were so stuck until I ripped them off! Arghhhh! Underneath the half-inch strip, I had a series of blisters, especially the left leg. And what skin wasn't blistered, was awfully red. I've worn these particular shorts many times with no problems. Soooooo, I'm completely baffled.

Any of you experienced cyclists care to shed some light on these issues? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-09-16, 03:32 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Too many hours in the sun?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-09-16, 03:44 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by RonH
Too many hours in the sun?
Definitely what it would appear, but I've been out longer in much higher heat. In those same shorts.
Old 05-09-16, 03:56 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Definitely what it would appear, but I've been out longer in much higher heat. In those same shorts.
Is it possible after repeated UV exposer the material broke down?
Old 05-09-16, 04:04 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Is it possible after repeated UV exposer the material broke down?
Visually, it looks just fine. I inspected it immediately, and it still looks brand new.
Old 05-09-16, 04:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Silicone is an allergen or sensitizer for some folks. It can take awhile for a reaction to occur after repeated exposure. Maybe it breaks down with age, use and exposure to perspiration.

Cramping doesn't seem unusual with a longer than usual ride, especially on one of the first really warm days this spring. Happened to me when I was younger and in top condition, but hadn't prepped optimally for a tougher than usual ride. The worst cramps occurred on an overcast day that seemed cool but was actually in the 80s, riding an unfamiliar course that seemed easy but was really hillier than it looked at a glance. Took my usual single bottle of water and probably needed double that.

Seemingly little things can throw us off, like a couple of beers the night before, not getting enough sleep, ordinary meds like antihistamines, etc. We won't notice any problems until we push a little harder than usual.

It's 90F here this evening -- our first day this year anywhere near that warm -- and I'm about to take my first ride in a week after repairing a shifter. I plan to take it very easy, maybe 10 miles, and work my way back up to 30-40. I'm nowhere near ready for rides longer than 50 miles at anything other than a 12 mph loaf.
Old 05-11-16, 07:15 AM
roval

Bikes: Specialized hard rock mtb,, specialized sequoia road, specialized tarmac road, specialized camber 29er mtb, Co motion tandem periscope scout with roadbars road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like contact dermatitis regarding the blisters since they are underneath the silicone and as canklecat said you may have gotten sensitized to it over time
You can try rechallenging it and see if it happens again.
Old 05-11-16, 09:26 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Allergic reaction is my reading also. I've had several sets of socks and one set of bike shorts cause a red rash. I am mildly allergic to latex but have no idea if my rash was caused by latex. I tried using a barrier cream as is used by people working with epoxy resins and still saw the rash. Eventually I discarded those items.
Old 05-11-16, 01:33 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Do you wash the shorts after every ride?
Old 05-11-16, 03:00 PM
SA_Brak

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is also possible that it was a heat rash. Heat rash occurs when the skin's sweat glands are blocked and the sweat produced cannot get to the surface of the skin to evaporate. This causes inflammation that results in a rash.
Old 05-11-16, 03:23 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Problem 1: Electrolytes. Hydration (water) is only part of the battle. You need to keep your electrolytes up too. Depending on your source of water, you're probably not getting what you need. Another factor is recent dietary intake. You do enjoy a healthy, varied diet, yes?

Problem 2: Contact dermatitis. Could be a number of factors here... detergent, silicone, fabric. What worked for you in the past does not guarantee you won't have problems in the future. I wore a particular brand of non latex gloves for years then suddenly I noticed irritation and in the span of a week was unable to wear them even for a few minutes before the itching and redness would start. Weird stuff.

-Kedosto
Old 05-11-16, 04:15 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Lot's of good suggestions in this thread. Personally I've found cramps do occasionally happen, I'm not sure why. I did 90 miles yesterday in 70's and 80's sunny weather and didnt have an issue. But I've had cramps happen on 30 mile rides. Sometimes your body just has an off day is how I look at it.
Old 05-11-16, 07:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It's 90F here this evening -- our first day this year anywhere near that warm -- and I'm about to take my first ride in a week after repairing a shifter. I plan to take it very easy, maybe 10 miles, and work my way back up to 30-40. I'm nowhere near ready for rides longer than 50 miles at anything other than a 12 mph loaf.
I rode 20 miles that afternoon, rather than the 10 I'd planned. And pushed a little harder because I was feeling pretty good. Sure enough, had cramps in my right leg, thigh to arch of the foot, by the end of the ride. But I'm not in great shape now and 20 miles without stopping is a long ride for me. The day was hottish, our first 90F day this spring, and I hadn't bothered to warm up or stretch. Drank plenty of water, but I probably should stretch first.
Old 05-12-16, 09:10 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Bananas, grapefruit juice or any juice high in potassium, dark chocolate before the ride.

Should help alleviate any cramps.
Old 05-12-16, 02:51 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
For the cramps, I just ran a sag stop for our bike club, and we had a couple of jars of dill pickles with all the snacks. Several people poured out the pickle juice, and said it was good for cramps.

Problem 2 I cant help you much on, since I ride bents, and ride with rugby shorts that are non restricting and made of cotton and polyester 50/50.
Old 05-13-16, 09:01 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Do you wash the shorts after every ride?
You have to wash them?!?

Last edited by one4smoke; 05-13-16 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 09:02 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by prj71
Bananas, grapefruit juice or any juice high in potassium, dark chocolate before the ride.

Should help alleviate any cramps.
Yeah, I usually eat a banana every day for breakfast.
Old 05-13-16, 09:46 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've had similar issues with the silicon grippers on cycling shorts on long rides, particularly during hot weather. My thighs haven't blistered but I've often broken out in a rash where the grippers contact my legs during long rides. I avoid shorts with silicon grippers now, for that reason. I suspect that the rash also might be a reaction to salt from sweat interacting with the grippers, because the problem is worst when I am sweating a lot.

It's not unusual to get cramps on long rides, particularly during hot weather if you haven't had enough to drink. It could also be due to electrolyte imbalance, even if you are well hydrated. Once the weather gets hot, I start using electrolyte supplements or Gatorade on longer rides. Usually it's not an issue for me because I eat plenty of bananas and other foods that help prevent cramps. I try to avoid energy drinks due to the sugar and dilute Gatorade with water when I do use it.
Old 05-13-16, 09:59 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by tarwheel
I've had similar issues with the silicon grippers on cycling shorts on long rides, particularly during hot weather. My thighs haven't blistered but I've often broken out in a rash where the grippers contact my legs during long rides. I avoid shorts with silicon grippers now, for that reason. I suspect that the rash also might be a reaction to salt from sweat interacting with the grippers, because the problem is worst when I am sweating a lot.

It's not unusual to get cramps on long rides, particularly during hot weather if you haven't had enough to drink. It could also be due to electrolyte imbalance, even if you are well hydrated. Once the weather gets hot, I start using electrolyte supplements or Gatorade on longer rides. Usually it's not an issue for me because I eat plenty of bananas and other foods that help prevent cramps. I try to avoid energy drinks due to the sugar and dilute Gatorade with water when I do use it.
Great points. I wonder if the extra sweating also caused the grippers to move ever so slightly back and forth, creating friction causing the blisters?
Old 05-13-16, 11:19 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Great points. I wonder if the extra sweating also caused the grippers to move ever so slightly back and forth, creating friction causing the blisters?
That's what I'm presuming.