Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Who Carries a Multi-Tool?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 07:02 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts

Multi-Tools, especially the good ones, are not light. Do any of you carry one on tour? My son and I do a lot of back country fly fishing, and we both carry one. Indispensable when you need it. I have yet to take my first tour, so looking for some more interesting opinions.
Old 12-20-16, 07:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Yup.
Crankbrothers 18 or something like that.

My bikes all have different fitments due to differing eras, so its easier to use a multitool vs having a few indiidual tools for each specific bike.
Old 12-20-16, 07:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I carry a Topeak Alien ... an older model than what is picture here.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/tools
Old 12-20-16, 07:22 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
can't recall at the moment which one I have now, but its a good one, and the chain breaker tool on it works really well, better than my old stand alone ones I have had in the past. I figure getting one that feels that its made better is worth the extra money in the long run, but in any case, having one with the tool that you need is always important, even if we tend not to use them that often.
Old 12-20-16, 07:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I carry a Topeak Hexus II, a Leatherman Juice CS4, and a big allen wrench for my pedals. I don't carry cup and cone, headset wrenches, cassette tools, or that sort of stuff. I only carry stuff I've either used or wished I had.
Old 12-20-16, 07:36 PM
Jazzba
Commuter

Bikes: Hybrid ; Fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring tip #5: Resist the multitool | The Bike Show - a cycling radio show and podcast from Resonance FM
Old 12-20-16, 08:11 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Are you asking about a multi-tool like the Leatherman, or a bike specific multi-tool? I suspect that you are taking about a Leatherman-like tool if you use it fly fishing.

I do carry a Sogg multi-tool on tours. There is always a use for pliers, file, cable cutter, etc. I use it on almost every tour.

I also carry a bicycle specific multi-tool. Something to consider regardless of brand: make sure the hex wrenches have a log enough blade to be able to reach the attaching bolt on STI shifters. Often in crashes and "fall overs" the shift lever will shift, which is a good thing. It usually takes a hex wrench to loosen the mounting bolt enough to put it back in the proper position. This is the primary reason I do not tighten my STI shifters too tight. Just tight enough to be secure, but loose enough to move in a mishap. IMO there is less likelihood of damage if there is a little give. Also make sure there is a hex that small enough fit the tension adjusting bolt on cantilever brakes if you are using them.

My bike multi-tool goes in my small saddle bag along with a spare tube, tire levers, and a patch kit. I carry a "real" tool kit in one of my panniers.

It varies, but this is my basic tool kit. I'll also take a regular bottle of chain lube, and leave the old toothbrush home.

The contents of my small seat bag.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-21-16 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 08:12 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
It depends on your bike. I would take every damn tool necessary to fix or take apart everything you know how to. Modern derailler bikes use fewer than my IGH roadster style, no doubt.
A multi is OK for something like pliers/ knife/ saw/ file/ can opener. For hex keys or 7/8/9/10 wrenches then it's a bad idea IMO. Way too many tight corner spots often. What about using 2 at once? A 3 arm 4/5/6 mm hex is by far the most useful there is. Maybe one with interchange tips is the trick. Take chain tools, pedal and crank tools, several spokes and wrench. For a 2 week trip, then don't go overboard.

I went to LBS nomans land VN + CN and carried 2 dozen tools or so, 7 or 8 lbs. 8 or 9 tools just in my pockets. I even took a cable cutter.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 12-20-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 09:07 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Nope. I carried an entire tool roll, out of the lack of having a multi tool. I can't imagine being more than a short ride from home without the ability to fix anything that could go wrong on a bike.

That said, I just got a small bike specific multi-tool for Christmas, that I am looking forward to sticking in my saddle bag for longer day rides.
Old 12-20-16, 09:10 PM
mrveloman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a mini multi tool in all my seat bags. My favorite is the SOG Crossgrip (2.0 oz/57g) which is no longer available. I also have a Gerber Clutch (2.6oz73g). Both are much lighter than a full size Leatherman which runs around 8.5 oz. They come in handy especially when I need some pliers - had to use it to pull a piece of wire out of a tire not long ago. A also carry a Topeak Mini 15 tool set (1.55oz/45g w/o case - unfortunately no longer available as well). With the SOG and Mini 15 I can make most repairs short of removing a cassette. I also carry the chain tool for the Mini 15.

mike
Old 12-20-16, 09:14 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I carried one someone gave me until I lost it. Now I just carry a few individual tools in a seat wedge. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Old 12-20-16, 10:26 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carrying a Park Multitool, a tiny little Leatherman, couple of tire levers, a stand alone Topeak chain tool and quite often a small pocket knife. Can fix nearly anything with this combination. Its enough tools to get you to the next town to fix your bike properly.

I did once carry a 5 pound hammer on a tour...
Old 12-20-16, 10:38 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkyGA
I did once carry a 5 pound hammer on a tour...
What the heck are you fixing on a bike with a 5# hammer? Heck, a 3# took care of most of the things on my old Blazer, and that was 1000x the trouble any of my bikes have been
Old 12-21-16, 06:55 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
My apologies for not being clear. Indeed, I did mean to carry a multi-tool such as a Leatherman. I find my Leatherman Wave to be indispensable when its needed, much like a gun.

As far as the bike-specific multi-tools, I have yet to find one to my liking. I truly believe that I can service almost everything on my LHT with a few tools plus my Wave. No need to carry stuff that you really do not need, but I could see where the knife blade on my Wave would come in handy, not to mention the saw and file, and especially the scissors. The pliers are nice. I'm not certain that the cutters on the pliers would cleanly cut a cable, but I do think it would suffice if out on the road.
Old 12-21-16, 07:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
My apologies for not being clear. Indeed, I did mean to carry a multi-tool such as a Leatherman.
I did carry something like that for a while, but it was just dead weight. I never used it.

Mostly I use an Allen Key set and tyre levers, although I do carry the Topeak Alien as mentioned above.

And I buy my food in grocery stores, shops, cafes, restaurants or markets.
Old 12-21-16, 08:05 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I've broken spokes while touring, so I carry extras and my multi-tool has various spoke wrench sizes. I've never had a chain problem. However, on a weekend tour, I had a buddy who broke his chain twice. Ever since, I carry a multi-tool with a chain tool built into it.
Old 12-21-16, 08:16 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I carry a multi-tool, plus an assortment of purpose-built tools: a small wrench (for the pedals), needle nose pliers, and tire irons. And maybe a couple of Allen keys that are also on the multi-tool.

I don't find multi-tools as easy to use as purpose-built tools, but they are portable, and good enough to basic repairs and maintenance.
Old 12-21-16, 08:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
No.
Old 12-21-16, 08:31 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Yes, I carry a Leatherman but I insist on carrying separate hex keys and other separate tools because often you can't get into that tight area for which you need or you're not be able to create the leverage you need when they remain attached to a multitool. The typical "L" shape has its purpose.
Old 12-21-16, 08:37 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
As I was riding along in Terra Ceia a few years ago I came around a curve and laying on the ground was a really nice stainless Leatherman tool. It had laid there long enough to have a touch of rust on it. I took it as a sign to carry it with. The heavy joker has been in my bag since. Never used it. Hope I don't.
Old 12-21-16, 09:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
My apologies for not being clear. Indeed, I did mean to carry a multi-tool such as a Leatherman. I find my Leatherman Wave to be indispensable when its needed, much like a gun.

As far as the bike-specific multi-tools, I have yet to find one to my liking. I truly believe that I can service almost everything on my LHT with a few tools plus my Wave. No need to carry stuff that you really do not need, but I could see where the knife blade on my Wave would come in handy, not to mention the saw and file, and especially the scissors. The pliers are nice. I'm not certain that the cutters on the pliers would cleanly cut a cable, but I do think it would suffice if out on the road.
I carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4 all the time...both on and off the bike. It comes in handy without being bulky like your Wave. I also carry a cutting blade (can't use the real name but it's usually a ceramic one or a cutout one from Spiderco) that doesn't weigh much.

As for multi-tools, the best one around for a very long time was the Cool Tool. I have several as well as a pre-Gerber Bob Seals version. It's still a pretty good tool because it fits your hand and has a lot of versatility, unlike most of the multi-tools I've tried. I also have some of the extras like the lockring and headset tools as well as the seatpost tool and quick release tool but those aren't nearly as useful as the original.

However, it's been replaced in my Camelbak by the Full Windsor Breaker. Modern components no longer need some of the features of the Cool Tool like the crank bolt tightener or even the adjustable wrench. The Full Windsor Breaker works really well, fits your hand and even comes with a really good tire lever. It's a really cleaver, well designed tool. And with the Pound being depressed, it's a bargain.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-21-16, 10:18 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Bike tools
My Campagnolo levers need a Torx T20 for the clamping bolt. How annoying. I don't carry that size with me.

My everyday tool kit is this, and 2 tire levers. I had a scrap of rubber membrane roofing, sturdy rubber sheet about 1mm thick. I bring the L wrench sizes that are used on my bikes. It's 45 grams as shown.

I've looked at multitools, but still keep this roll instead. It's slower to take it out of the plastic bag, then take off the slices of bike tube that are the rubber bands, but it's nice to have real L wrenches instead of the stubby ones on the multitools. And this roll protects everything else in the bag from wrench damage, and there's no clanking noises from the tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1050387.jpg (99.7 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg
P1050388.jpg (101.5 KB, 258 views)
Old 12-21-16, 11:07 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only multitool I carry is a leatherman.

I've always found the hex keys on most bicycle multitools were too short or really awkward to use so I use loose tools, and heaver bits like chain breakers have handles and what not cut off. The tools then get wrapped in a rag or something.
Old 12-21-16, 11:13 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
We talk about this topic occasionally in the Commuting forum as well, and here is a thread that I recently bumped. @ijsbrand then posted a picture of a Wenger Swiss Army knife that had some bike tools. And following that up it seems they made several models of different sizes. But since Victorinox bought Wenger and wound down their line, it seems unlikely you can still get them. The ones I've found are specifically missing a chain breaker. which seems like the one purely bike-specific thing you are likely to need.

For myself, I often carry Chinese knockoffs from Walmart that I won't miss if I lose. I like the Leatherman style better because pliers and dikes are great.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...eatherman.html
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-21-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-21-16, 11:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Day rides Maybe, on tour , individual tools ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.