Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

We need more than a seat bag, less than a pannier...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-05-17, 01:14 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

My wife and I have been riding more and more. This has resulted in getting caught out in the rain a couple of times now. So geniuses that we are, we figured we might do something about this.

But seriously, we really don't want to stay home anymore because there is a chance of rain, isolated showers, etc. I got absolutely drenched yesterday. If I had rain gear and fenders, it would have been nothing.

So SKS Longboard fenders are being ordered. Now we need something to carry some clothes. All we have on our bikes now are small seat bags, enough for the typical little stuff.

I have looked for the last couple of days and all I find is the expensive and large seat packs (revelate, apidura, etc.) and small seat bags. Is there anything out there that can hold a rain coat, long sleeve warm jersey and some smaller clothes items? We also want to be ready for Fall riding when it could start out in the 40s and get into the 70s by early afternoon. We just need a soft bag that can hold some clothes. Doesn't need to be heavy duty expedition quality, doesn't need to be waterproof.

Since we both have Surly Truckers, I have thought of putting on a rear rack, but we are not ready to go touring, I don't know if my wife ever will be, and the weight of a rack and trunk is more than the weight of the clothes we'll be carrying.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 06-05-17, 01:29 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a bikepacking-style handlebar bag. That was my answer to this same issue. I got a Salsa one on sale on the REI website and it should arrive tomorrow.
Old 06-05-17, 01:33 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Trunk bag

Old 06-05-17, 01:35 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Smaller Day Panniers work well

Old 06-05-17, 01:35 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My bike clothes dry out quickly. Not sure why more clothes would help.

When there are big temperature swings I wear sleeves and leggings in the cold, take them off and stuff them in my pockets when it's warm.
Old 06-05-17, 01:53 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
rain shell stuffed in a jersey pocket?
Old 06-05-17, 02:18 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Rack and panniers might be the smartest bike-related purchase I've ever made. If you want a saddle bag instead, though, Banjo Brothers sells some in a variety of sizes and shapes:

Canvas and Leather Bags | Banjo Brothers

There are other brands with plenty of other alternatives, some of which are quite nice (e.g. Carradice). DIY is another option. I use a slightly modified British military surplus gas mask bag as a saddle bag on one bike.
Old 06-05-17, 02:23 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I'd say either a trunk bag or a handlebar bag. Either should be big enough to hold those few items. Handlebar bags are nice to keep things you want access to on the bike as well (camera, snacks). Think my handlebar bag is 7L, it could easily hold a light rain coat and a warmer shirt/jersey.

I'm not all that weight sensitive, but personally the utility of a rack has almost always outweighed (pun intended) its additional weight.
Old 06-05-17, 02:36 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Carradice bags, if you like that retro look.

Old 06-05-17, 02:40 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You don't want the extra weight of a rack (I don't blame you), I'd go with a handlebar bag. I use one for commuting - I previously used a frame bag which works fine but I think it gets annoying on longer rides.
Old 06-05-17, 02:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
The simple and crude approach: a very stretchy sock and a long toestrap (or a toestrap leather sewn onto a toestrap). It is impressive what you can roll up and stuff into those socks. Run the toestrap over your saddle rails and just cinch the sock up to the tool back. Doesn't get much lighter and when you don't need it, just stuff it into the tool bag. And when you are using it, you bike has the look of the classic road bike with a spare tubular.

Ben
Old 06-05-17, 02:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
My bike clothes dry out quickly. Not sure why more clothes would help.

When there are big temperature swings I wear sleeves and leggings in the cold, take them off and stuff them in my pockets when it's warm.
You live in Houston. He lives in Maine. A jacket cuts down on body heat loss big time. I grew up in Massachusetts and have lived in Ann Arbor and Seattle. Done my share of rides that got too cold to be remotely fun when I wasn't prepared. (Bike clothes only dry out if it stops raining. That shell will save a lot of heat loss even if you do not get it on in time to stay dry.)

Ben
Old 06-05-17, 03:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
Lot of good solutions have been proposed. You could go with rack and panniers and/or trunk rack. That will hold a fair amount.

My go to bag for dealing with this sort of issue is the jandd mountain wedge 3. It costs less than any of the other solutions at $69. It works very, very well. This is a large size seat bag (7.5 liters) that does not sway:

Mountain Wedge III

It holds my tools, spare tubes, a rain jacket, arm warmers, leg warmers, and a shell with ease.

It's what I use during the shoulder season when the weather is iffy. Plus it's lighter than the other solutions since it does not involve a rack. If I need more space, I add a front handlebar bag.
Old 06-05-17, 03:04 PM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-seat-p...bag+xl+cycling

it fits my minipump, multitool, 2 tubes, wallet, eyeglasses, keys cellphone and a light pearl izumi windbreaker, without opening the expansion zippers. Couldn't live out of it for an overnight but it should cover your needs easily
Old 06-05-17, 03:25 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Do a search for bicycle triangle bag. They fit below the top tube either front or rear, cost under $20 and will hold light raingear, leggings, powerbars etc. I use mine in cold weather when I like to shed things. Also use it on my long unsupported rides. I don't like to stop for long so I can load the bag with powerbars, banannas, change of headsweats and light jacket if the weather forcast suggest it. I can access it while riding.
Old 06-05-17, 03:36 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Along the lines of the Carradice bags suggested, Rivendell sells the Sackville line. Yes they are expensive but well made and will last for many years. They make them in different sizes, so needing a rack support and some that don't. Another suggestion would be pick up a small front rack and just bungee some sweaters/coats in a plastic bag to the top. Something like the Soma .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sackville.jpg (74.5 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg
soma_18577.jpg (28.1 KB, 275 views)
Old 06-05-17, 03:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
So, my question is whether you are looking for a setup that can carry both you and your wife's extra stuff -- ie. 2 rainjackets, 2 long sleeve jersey, etc.. or each of you fitting half of this much stuff? IOW, between the 2 of you, you'd only need probably one rack with a trunk bag. FWIW, a rolled up pair of arm warmers and some of the thin rain shells that are now available, could potentially just squeeze into your jersey's rear pockets. Not sure what other small items you're thinking about that you mentioned.
Old 06-05-17, 03:42 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

The frame bag did not hold enough for me.

Old 06-05-17, 04:01 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Rando bags are nice because you can get into them without dismounting your bike. But expensive.

Old 06-05-17, 04:29 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So, my question is whether you are looking for a setup that can carry both you and your wife's extra stuff -- ie. 2 rainjackets, 2 long sleeve jersey, etc.. or each of you fitting half of this much stuff? IOW, between the 2 of you, you'd only need probably one rack with a trunk bag. FWIW, a rolled up pair of arm warmers and some of the thin rain shells that are now available, could potentially just squeeze into your jersey's rear pockets. Not sure what other small items you're thinking about that you mentioned.
No, we each carry our own things. Actually, we rarely get the chance to ride together.

Some good suggestions. I'm liking the Jandd wedge.
Old 06-05-17, 04:38 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by bikemig
Lot of good solutions have been proposed. You could go with rack and panniers and/or trunk rack. That will hold a fair amount.

My go to bag for dealing with this sort of issue is the jandd mountain wedge 3. It costs less than any of the other solutions at $69. It works very, very well. This is a large size seat bag (7.5 liters) that does not sway:

Mountain Wedge III

It holds my tools, spare tubes, a rain jacket, arm warmers, leg warmers, and a shell with ease.

It's what I use during the shoulder season when the weather is iffy. Plus it's lighter than the other solutions since it does not involve a rack. If I need more space, I add a front handlebar bag.
I like the look of this, and it about the right size for our purposes.

A couple of questions:
1. Quick and easy to take on and off?
2. How and where exactly do those straps attach? There are no pictures showing them in use on a regular touring bike with braze ons. How would we use that on our Truckers? Do you personally always use the straps when you have the bag on, or just with the bag packed to a certain amount?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-17, 06:20 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
I like the look of this, and it about the right size for our purposes.

A couple of questions:
1. Quick and easy to take on and off?
2. How and where exactly do those straps attach? There are no pictures showing them in use on a regular touring bike with braze ons. How would we use that on our Truckers? Do you personally always use the straps when you have the bag on, or just with the bag packed to a certain amount?

Thanks!
Piece of cake to take it on and off. The straps attach with hooks to the eyelets. You have 2 on the LHT; one for the fenders, the other for the rack. You don't need to run the straps but they're easy on and off. The thing is rock stable and holds a reasonable amount of gear. I always use the straps. Honestly it takes a very small amount of time to take on and off. I find that I don't use it much in the summer (when I don't worry about carrying extra gear) and use it a lot in spring and fall when I need to carry a raincoat and warm weather gear.
Old 06-05-17, 06:23 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by bikemig
Piece of cake to take it on and off. The straps attach with hooks to the eyelets. You have 2 on the LHT; one for the fenders, the other for the rack. You don't need to run the straps but they're easy on and off. The thing is rock stable and holds a reasonable amount of gear. I always use the straps. Honestly it takes a very small amount of time to take on and off. I find that I don't use it much in the summer (when I don't worry about carrying extra gear) and use it a lot in spring and fall when I need to carry a raincoat and warm weather gear.
Sold!

Seriously, this looks perfect. Thanks!
Old 06-05-17, 06:30 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You live in Houston. He lives in Maine. A jacket cuts down on body heat loss big time. I grew up in Massachusetts and have lived in Ann Arbor and Seattle. Done my share of rides that got too cold to be remotely fun when I wasn't prepared. (Bike clothes only dry out if it stops raining. That shell will save a lot of heat loss even if you do not get it on in time to stay dry.)

Ben
Houston is warm a lot, but we get cold snaps. I've ridden in the 30s down here. I have a shell for that. It also wads up and goes in my pocket when I'm not wearing it.

But it doesn't do a good job of keeping me dry. With it on I sweat so much I might as well be in the rain. The shell just stops the wind.

I thought the OP was trying to stay dry somehow.
Old 06-05-17, 06:42 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Fenders! Yeah, they are great. I'm more likely to go riding anyway with a moderate chance of rain later in the ride. And riding immediately after the rain stops, wet roads aren't a bother. I even ride right through puddles and just get a few drops splashed onto my shoes.

~~~

I can't tolerate any of those large saddle bags. It's annoying when my thighs hit the bag on every pedal stroke. But some riders like them.

My small wedge saddle bag is narrower than the saddle, but it's tiny, just for tube and tools.

~~~

I got this inexpensive Axiom Atlas handlebar bag, 4.5L, with two straps around the handlebars. It came with some elastic stabilizer straps that work fine on my gravel bike, but I don't use them on my road bike, and the bag doesn't bounce around. I have cables run under the bar tape, and the bag sits in front of the exposed cables.

It's quick and easy to attach the two straps. The bag is lightweight, 330 grams, and can easily fit a jacket, leg warmers, and gloves. There's plenty of room on both sides so my hands on the hoods don't hit the bag.

I've also used it to carry my small mirrorless camera bag securely. I'd leave the camera bag unzipped inside, and just zip the Axiom. Very handy.

But it's no longer available. I've seen similar, simple handlebar bags in the local bike shops. Jandd has some on the web catalog, and are likely available in many bike shops.

~~~~~~

I see Axiom now has a larger, 7L bag, the Oceanwave, that appears to be deeper front-to-back. And just 200 grams! I probably wouldn't fill it up with heavy items, since it hangs by the straps, but it would handle a lot of layers.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-05-17 at 07:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.