Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Old 06-26-17, 01:02 PM
tommy2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
How shocking is it at this point? The new Diverge was first released a week ago yesterday. How many people have even ridden one yet? Of that small number, how many had also ridden an older model of the Diverge? Of that small number, how many post their impressions on social media or bicycle related forums?

I'm impressed that there have been any first hand reports this early on. I'm sure there will be many more as more bikes are ridden.
I found this review very informative: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/2018...l-bike-review/
Old 06-26-17, 02:31 PM
Erik_A

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I think that the best value is the $1800 Diverge Comp E5. It has the same carbon fork, future shock, Axis wheelset and 105 components as the $3000 Diverge Comp with the carbon frame.

A $1200 premium is a big bump just to get a carbon frame, because Specialized is pretty adept at building great aluminum frames. The carbon frame, can't be that special; but it is a bit larger than the E5 aluminum version, since the geometries are not identical

Attached is the diagram of the largest 64cm frame sizes from Stack and reach calculator (with the Sequoia as a comparison).

$1800 Diverge Comp E5
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...ecompe5/128909
$3000 Diverge Comp
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...rgecomp/129079
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Stack-Reach-Calc-2018.jpg (96.9 KB, 312 views)
Diverge-carbon.JPG (93.2 KB, 309 views)
Diverge-E5.JPG (81.4 KB, 308 views)
Sequoia-steel.JPG (83.2 KB, 310 views)
Old 06-26-17, 03:26 PM
Rennvelo

Bikes: Specialiced Roubaix Comp 2017; Giant Anthem X1 2008 (MTB)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experience with Axis Sport wheels

Hello everybody
This is my first post in this forum!

I am just wondering if anybody has experience with with Axis Sport wheels. Are this the same wheels as Axis 1 or 2? I had an Diverge Elite DSW 2017. Unfortunately, this bike was stolen. I was very comfortable with this bike and wanted to order a new one. However, this bike is sold out in Switzerland, the Country I live in. So now I am looking for a Diverge 2018. I am considering an E5 Elite, which is in the same price range as my old bike. Comp E5 would also be an Option, but in Continental Europe you only get the color scheme GLOSS LIGHT TURQUOISE/TARMAC BLACK, which does not appeal to me. I have some conerns about the Axis Sport wheels. How do they match up with the Axis Elite wheels? Will you notice the difference, mainly while accelerating? I like the quick acceleration of road bikes. I think I red somewhere that the Axis Sport wheels are quit heavy. I have to say that I am not an experienced road biker, my background is in MTB. We have lots of mountains in Switzerland btw. So I will not notice subtle differences.

The second minor conern are the brakes. I was happy with the Spyre. What about the Tektro Mira? Any experiences?

Btw, i have an Roubaix Comp 2017 as my main road bike. Future Shock works great, the ride is much more comfortable than with the Diverge Elite DSW, which does not mean that the Roubaix is the better bike. It is just different.
Old 06-26-17, 10:28 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tommy2000
I think it rides great on roads! Up until the Diverge, I'd been riding a Roubaix for the last 5 years, started with 25 GatorSkins and moved up to 28MM last year. To me, the 38MM tires on the Diverge are much more comfortable than the 28MM Gatorskins and ride pretty similar. Probably to be expected with low inflation pressure and size. But for me, more the endurance than super speed power rider, they are great.

Off road, so far on gravel/limestone and forest walking trail, it's been just fine too.
aaah, I love that deep blue color. Thanks for sharing!

And good to hear an opinion from someone who owns a Roubaix for 5 years and saying the new Diverge rides great on roads. Looks like, I'll likely go for Diverge Comp E5.

I'll probably upgrade the brakes to hydros on a later date I guess.

How's the CG-R seatpost btw?
Old 06-26-17, 10:33 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik_A
I think that the best value is the $1800 Diverge Comp E5. It has the same carbon fork, future shock, Axis wheelset and 105 components as the $3000 Diverge Comp with the carbon frame.

A $1200 premium is a big bump just to get a carbon frame, because Specialized is pretty adept at building great aluminum frames. The carbon frame, can't be that special; but it is a bit larger than the E5 aluminum version, since the geometries are not identical
I'm not sure what the weight difference between an carbon and alu frames, but it's probably around 200-400g. Would be great if someone can get their lbs to weight both frames so we can know for sure how much heavier the frames are.

Its geometries are not identical cause the carbon version accepts up to 42mm front and rear whereas the alu models only accepts 42mm front and 38mm rear.

And yes, the best value is the Comp E5, if only Spesh was a bit more adventurous and spec the Comp with Ultegras. Then I'll be more tempted to get the Comp.
Old 06-26-17, 10:45 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik_A

Attached is the diagram of the largest 64cm frame sizes from Stack and reach calculator (with the Sequoia as a comparison).

$1800 Diverge Comp E5
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...ecompe5/128909
$3000 Diverge Comp
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...rgecomp/129079
There is something off on the top tube length on the E5. The reach (406) and the wheelbase (1053) that the Specialized chart shows are much different from what the listed dimensions produce per the calculator. Substituting 609 for the top tube length seems to work. Unfortunately, mistakes in the Specialized catalog specs and geometry sheets are quite common.

There are a few more differences between the specifications of the E5 and carbon Comp models. The carbon model also has hydraulic disc brakes, CG-R seatpost, tubeless ready tires and a hover bar. That makes up a few hundred dollars of the price difference, so it is not all for the carbon frame.
Old 06-26-17, 11:20 PM
tommy2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
aaah, I love that deep blue color. Thanks for sharing!

And good to hear an opinion from someone who owns a Roubaix for 5 years and saying the new Diverge rides great on roads. Looks like, I'll likely go for Diverge Comp E5.

I'll probably upgrade the brakes to hydros on a later date I guess.

How's the CG-R seatpost btw?
The seatpost was another plus surprise for me with the Diverge. It's not nearly as noticeable as a regular spring post, but I don't think that's the point of it anyway. I think it really just takes a lot of the vibration of the road and adds to the overall comfort level of the bike.

The E5 looks great too! It might be worth trying out the 38 mm tires if you have a chance if you're looking for a more comfortable ride. I'm sure I'll try some new thinner tires down the road on Diverge, I'm really enjoying the 38'ss that came with the bike right now.
Old 06-27-17, 08:00 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The E5 looks great too! It might be worth trying out the 38 mm tires if you have a chance if you're looking for a more comfortable ride. I'm sure I'll try some new thinner tires down the road on Diverge, I'm really enjoying the 38'ss that came with the bike right now.
As I'm planning to upgrade to CG-R and hydros, I wonder if the Comp will be a better buy, hmm.

I wouldn't mind getting some Ergon CF-3 but the shipment + post will end up being much expensive then CG-R.
Old 06-28-17, 11:55 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, anyone able to get their dealer to weigh 2018 Diverge Carbon and Alloy frames?

I'm curious on the weight difference
Old 06-28-17, 01:07 PM
tommy2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diverge Tires: Roubaix Pro 32's

Greetings,

Had just posted some info on the 2018 Diverge Comp I bought, and realized that the tires that came with the bike were different that what's listed in the Specialized spec sheet. The spec sheet references Trigger Pro 38's, and the bike has Roubaix Pro 32's.

I didn't notice that until I got on the second ride :-), just blissfully thinking initially that "those tires look a little narrow for 38's". Because I really enjoyed the Roubaix Pro tires. After reading some reviews on them, I'm pretty well sold on them for the Diverge. I'd say my riding has been about 50/50 asphalt/gravel on the Diverge so far, and the Roubaix Pro's have handled both very well.

Not sure if anyone has any experience on the Trigger Pro's. Coming off of mostly road bike riding, I've little experience on 38's, mostly riding Gatorskin 28's on my Roubaix bike.

Anyway, one other data point for your bike and tire buying fun.

Tom
Old 06-28-17, 01:38 PM
Rennvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low spec models are cheaper

I just had a look at the E5 Elite and E5 Sport. Out of curiosity I calculated the price differences of the parts that differ. I was quite surprised that the cumulated price differences was only around 100$. The price differences of the two models is 250$, 150$ note than the price difference of the parts.

Is this a common pattern that low spec models are comperable cheaper? I am a poor mechanic. Otherwise I would buy the model with the frame I want with the cheapest parts and add the parts I want.

Last edited by Rennvelo; 06-28-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 02:19 PM
Jim53

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I got to ride the E5 Comp. The LBS had it in graphite/black, and it looked awesome to me -- quite elemental. Nice proportions; it fit right for me. I rode it on the (gravel) C&O towpath in DC. It was surprisingly competent, especially since I had ridden into town (including a couple-mile stretch on the towpath) on my dual suspension SJ. My only* hesitation with the E5 is that it comes with mechanical disc brakes. I've been spoiled by hydro disc brakes (is this just psychological?) If I were to go up one model, to the Comp, I'd get hydro discs and a carbon frame -- but my cost would go from $1800 to $3000!

Before making that leap to the Comp, the other bike I'd like to try for comparison is the Jamis Renegade Expert. Both the D Comp and the JRE have carbon frames, 105 sets, and Shimano hydro brakes. The Comp has 38 mm tires and the JRE has 36. If you pull their photos up on your screen and toggle back and forth, the two bikes look close to identical. The S Comp has the Future Shock and costs $3000; the JRE does not and costs $2700.

*OK, I wish the E5 had a bit wider tires: maybe in the 32-34 range, instead of 30. But I could make that change.
Old 06-28-17, 03:04 PM
eppan

Bikes: Coppi Campionissimo, Gios Super Record

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the forum too. I'm also very tempted on the new Diverge, I personally found perfect for my needs (at least on paper) mainly due to the upright geometry, and wonderful possibilities for bike touring, adventure riding and commuting. Pondering between E5 Alu and Carbon Comp. Unfortunately, where I live, there's yet none to test out yet. Can anyone comment how you see riding difference between alu vs carbon on Diverge? Been only riding light steel bikes in the past.
Alu models would have threaded BB's, which is a huge plus over pressfit for me. Then again carbons would have bigger tire clearance and perhaps bit less weight.
Old 06-28-17, 03:16 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim53

*OK, I wish the E5 had a bit wider tires: maybe in the 32-34 range, instead of 30. But I could make that change.
My A1 has the exact same tires. I thought they looked kind of big for a 30c so I measured them with my calipers. They're a hair over 32mm.
Old 06-28-17, 03:19 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by eppan
Hi all, I'm new to the forum too. I'm also very tempted on the new Diverge, I personally found perfect for my needs (at least on paper) mainly due to the upright geometry, and wonderful possibilities for bike touring, adventure riding and commuting. Pondering between E5 Alu and Carbon Comp. Unfortunately, where I live, there's yet none to test out yet. Can anyone comment how you see riding difference between alu vs carbon on Diverge? Been only riding light steel bikes in the past.
Alu models would have threaded BB's, which is a huge plus over pressfit for me. Then again carbons would have bigger tire clearance and perhaps bit less weight.
With as big of a tire as these bikes take, if an aluminum frame is too rough for someone then they have issues. I personally will never again buy another bike that doesn't have a threaded BB. The moment I see a bike has a pressfit I stop looking at it. That was the most idiotic thing the industry pushed on everyone.
Old 06-28-17, 04:12 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yesterday I got to ride the E5 Comp. The LBS had it in graphite/black, and it looked awesome to me -- quite elemental. Nice proportions; it fit right for me. I rode it on the (gravel) C&O towpath in DC. It was surprisingly competent,
Well jeez I would hope an $1800 bike billed as the ultimate "do anything" bike would be more than "competent" on something like the C&O! I've done the whole length many times bikecamping on a 1993 rigid steel MTB with, on at least one trip, Specialized Fatboy tires that are 1.25" 100psi slicks (I think I had them at 80psi for that though). And there were always people sailing down the towpath on regular road bikes.

Last edited by curttard; 06-28-17 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 08:09 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the tires that came with the bike were different that what's listed in the Specialized spec sheet. The spec sheet references Trigger Pro 38's, and the bike has Roubaix Pro 32's.
Yeah, you're not the only one. Apparently, people are getting 32's instead of 38's. So 32's are enough for the gravel you're riding?

Originally Posted by eppan
Then again carbons would have bigger tire clearance and perhaps bit less weight.
It will be lighter and the bigger tire clearance is only for the rear as both the alu and carbon accept up to 42 front, and 38 on the rear for alu.

My only* hesitation with the E5 is that it comes with mechanical disc brakes. I've been spoiled by hydro disc brakes (is this just psychological?)
Haha, you're not the only one, though why don't you just get your dealer to upgrade the mech to hydros and pay the extra instead of getting a carbon comp?

Darn it, I'm split between the Diverge and Roubaix again

Last edited by wheelhot; 06-28-17 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 01:02 AM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to run big tires and/or want/need slacker geo, go with the diverge. If you want quicker handling, roubaix is the way to go.

Minor(-ish) nitpick: I really wish Spec. color matched the swat box with the frame. The black swat box stands out like a sore thumb and looks really cheap to boot.
Old 06-29-17, 01:38 AM
eppan

Bikes: Coppi Campionissimo, Gios Super Record

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really started considering the new Diverge due to its adventure readiness, my current bike is a bit cumbersome for touring, while the new Diverge seems to offer better geometry, less standover height and multiple touchpoints for attaching lots of cargo stuff.

I might have to go with the E5 Comp, and later on, upgrade to a Sram 1X that I already have most parts laying around, even though I do like the colors and looks more on the carbon models.
Old 06-29-17, 04:04 AM
Lazyass

After some research I think I would spend the extra $180 on the E5 Sport over the E5. besides the step up to Sora, those Praxis Alba cranks are actually pretty nice, I read a couple of reviews. And they have a 52/36 ring option I would want for the road. Assuming the Claris is using a BB-UN26, the total weight difference between the two crank setups is almost a full pound.

But naturally you have to buy a special Praxis bottom bracket tool. They always get your wallet somehow.
Old 06-29-17, 06:09 AM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Greetings,

Had just posted some info on the 2018 Diverge Comp I bought, and realized that the tires that came with the bike were different that what's listed in the Specialized spec sheet. The spec sheet references Trigger Pro 38's, and the bike has Roubaix Pro 32's.

I didn't notice that until I got on the second ride :-), just blissfully thinking initially that "those tires look a little narrow for 38's". Because I really enjoyed the Roubaix Pro tires. After reading some reviews on them, I'm pretty well sold on them for the Diverge. I'd say my riding has been about 50/50 asphalt/gravel on the Diverge so far, and the Roubaix Pro's have handled both very well.

Not sure if anyone has any experience on the Trigger Pro's. Coming off of mostly road bike riding, I've little experience on 38's, mostly riding Gatorskin 28's on my Roubaix bike.

Anyway, one other data point for your bike and tire buying fun.

Tom
I test rode and ordered a Diverge Comp yesterday. Test bike had 32's. Had the bike store agree to replace them with 38's should it come with anything different as the spec sheets say it comes with 38's.
Old 06-29-17, 04:03 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like this bike is going to be a big hit, if it isn't considered one already. Conversely the roubaix seems to have drawn a bit more criticism (perhaps inevitable as the result of being on the leading edge of road bike sus) due it's unique appearance, and sharp departure in geo compared to the previous model.

I suppose the versatility of the diverge and comfort are major selling points? Reminds me a bit of the santa cruz and pivot mtb's which can accommodate different wheel sizes.
Old 06-30-17, 07:31 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conversely the roubaix seems to have drawn a bit more criticism (perhaps inevitable as the result of being on the leading edge of road bike sus) due it's unique appearance, and sharp departure in geo compared to the previous model.
Yeah, many testers were sceptical before they ride, though after riding it, many testers did comment that the FS just works and is a game changer. I think one of the highlight points would be that the FS gives the bike better grip around the corners as it will just soak up any road unevenness.
Old 06-30-17, 07:33 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rennvelo
Btw, i have an Roubaix Comp 2017 as my main road bike. Future Shock works great, the ride is much more comfortable than with the Diverge Elite DSW, which does not mean that the Roubaix is the better bike. It is just different.
Care to elaborate on this different?

And assuming both are running 32mm.
Old 06-30-17, 12:21 PM
Rennvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Care to elaborate on this different?

And assuming both are running 32mm.
OK,I will tell you my experience. The Roubaix sind Diverge both have stock tires, 26 and 30mm. Although the Diverge has wider tires, the Roubaix is way smoother, it is like day and night. FS does really a nice job! The Roubaix is also faster and a better climber. OK, it is 1.5kg lighter. There is also a difference between the breakes. I have to admit it, the hydros are much more effizient. The Spyre are also good, but there are differences. The Diverge 2017 is a little bit racier than the Roubaix 2017, compare also the stack and reach. Have my Roubaix with 52cm frame sitze the Diverge has 54. One size biger means often a more upright position. So, only points in favour for the Roubaix, but why Ich think the Roubaix is not necessairly the better bike? It is not that easy to explain. On the Diverge Ich felt immediately at home. The Diverge is a more honest bike. FS does such a great job, it smoothes out a lot. On tarmac that is completely what i want, i just want to glide over the surface. On gravel, somewhat paradoxly, this smoothing out means not more control to me. Ok, I am not a really good on tecnical trails. I habe somewhat more confidence with Roubaix. This may also be partly just because of the handlebar and tape. The Roubaix has a oval endurance handlebar and a smooth tape. The handlebar of the Diverge is round and the tape is sticky. On long gravel tours the FS gives you a compliance advantage. The underarms will benefit a lot. Switzerland we do not have long gravel roads, only 2-3km. We have a lot of steep small off road with biger stones, there you are better of with a MTB. So, I have limited experience with classical gravel biking.

The Design of the Diverge Elite DSW is also great in my opinion. First Ich was sceptical about the curvy design. But as time went by, the Diverge looked to me like a real adventure bike (the satin black color helped in that respect), ready to tackle every challange. I also like the look of the Praxis Alba crankset. It looks a bit raw, which I like.

Nevertheless, If I had to decide between the Roubaix 2017 and the Diverge 2017, I would go for the Roubaix, since the Diverge ride is so smooth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.