Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Over 90F - Share your hydration successes and fails

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Over 90F - Share your hydration successes and fails

Old 06-21-17, 02:43 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by njlonghorn
The night before a long, hot ride, I fill my 100 oz. camelbak bladder up about 90%, and lay it flat in the freezer. Before leaving the next morning, I defrost around the cap (so I can fill the bladder up the rest of the way) and the valve (so I can connect the drink tube). The camelbak stays frozen for 4-6 hours, depending on how hot of a day it is. The frozen pack feels great on my back, and I have a steady trickle of ice water to drink.
Like!

This would have been great on the Westside Dirty Benjamin!
Old 06-29-17, 12:11 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I must say the worst irony of that stupid hot day for the Benjamin.... during the weeks since the ride, it's barely got up to 75F, where was this cool air when I needed it?!?!?
Old 06-30-17, 02:50 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
We did a hilly 200 on Vancouver Island last weekend. It got to around 38 deg C on one occasion, and consistently above the imperial 100 throughout the ride. Machka suffered much more than me, which is unusual.

However, I have noted a trend not with the rides themselves in these conditions, but what happens before. This last ride, we stayed in a hotel room where we couldn't find the air conditioning setting (there was a control on a wall, but it didn't work... we found out the second night we stayed there that the air conditioner itself and control as behind one of the window curtains).

So we slept in a hot room, tossed and turned and sweated. That meant we were probably somewhat dehydrated even before we started.

It's happened to me a couple of times before, one notably on the second 24H TT we did in Iowa/Illinois. I started out feeling like crap. and it wasn't until after the 12 hour mark that I felt anywhere like riding faster.

Also prior to this weekend and despite our efforts, we simply could not find electrolyte pills anywhere. We ended up using Lite Salt (sodium and potassium) and sucking off small amounts of it from from the back of our hand or wrist at regular intervals on the ride. It helped a lot. I did have some Enduralytes that I brought from Australia, but there were only three (in the expectation we could resupply after we got here). Of course, yesterday, we found a new MEC outlet, and virtually walked straight to the shelf with electrolyte tabs.

We also will experiment with Clif Blocs, but even though they are chewable like gummy bears, I am not sure about them. At least they are somewhat cheaper than Nunn tablets...

I also have been concentrating on our most recent rides on drinking every 20 minutes by using a countdown timer on my phone. That has helped get the habit going. An electrolyte tab every hour or two also has been helpful (the spread in timing accounts for temperature, and I firmly believe in keeping up the electrolytes even in cooler riding temps).

Last edited by Rowan; 06-30-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 02:54 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I must say the worst irony of that stupid hot day for the Benjamin.... during the weeks since the ride, it's barely got up to 75F, where was this cool air when I needed it?!?!?
Yep... the BC temps have only just got to riding level after a 3-month long period of snow... the Peace to Parliament 200 last Saturday was the first hot day of the summer.

It appears the day could be hot for the BC Randonneurs' Canada Day 150 (plus a bit for a century for us) tomorrow, but it won't be nearly so hilly and will be on roads that we are relatively familiar with. Looking forward to it and trying out the Clif Blocs at least.

Last edited by Rowan; 06-30-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 06:21 PM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 cents from a recumbent rider in the DEEP SOUTH where heat and high humidity can make riding challenging from about mid-May through mid-late-September. Here we're talking about 85F+ and 80% humidity with minimal to wrong direction winds.

That out of the way...my experience, especially this Spring/Summer, is this. I carry a 100oz Camelback in the rear rack bag with a tube extending from the bag over my shoulder to a clip at my collar. Easy access and the Camelback is in the shade the entire ride. I start with simple, frozen water as someone above mentioned and it lasts until it doesn't. I'm usually sipping a mouthful or two every 5-10 minutes. Also in my rear bag is a bottle of Gatorade/Powerade which I drink and replenish at every convenience store stop - about every 30 miles.

Salt - I like to carry 1-2 pretzels - again, someone above has already mentioned these as being easy to carry and digest.

Finally, I like to carry an Almond Joy/Mounds bar but the heat just destroys them (melting). I had a little luck putting 1-2 under the iced Camelback but thye only lasted 3 hours before melting. So, if/when I feel the need, I just stop at a convenience store whether it's "time to take a break/stop" or not.

So far, this has worked for me out to 600k. I haven't bonked or dehydrated this year.

YMMV
Old 07-06-17, 10:14 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Hyponatremia (low sodium level in the blood) has hit me on a few rides in hot weather. It occurs when you're sweating a lot and drinking a lot, but not taking in as much salt as you sweat. I carry Enduroltyes or S-Caps (salt pills) such that I have can take salt independent of food or water consumption.

The worst ride for me was a Sebring 24 hour TT. That ride is in Florida in February. My training leading up to it involved many hours of riding in 10 to 35F temperatures (commuting and weekend rides in New England in the winter). Race day temperatures were from 80 to 100F. My bike was fitted with 5x 24oz water bottles and my pockets were full of food so I wouldn't have to stop much. I drank plenty of water (approx 20-30oz/hour) and drink mix, but I ran into a few warning signs: no desire to eat food, frequent urination stops (very clear, too), blurry vision. Ultimately, I quit that race about 16or 18 hours into it -- it's not technically DNFing, but my distance was underwhelming. Endurolytes and/or canned soup would have kept me going during that event.
Old 07-07-17, 10:33 AM
Rowan

Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
Hyponatremia (low sodium level in the blood) has hit me on a few rides in hot weather. It occurs when you're sweating a lot and drinking a lot, but not taking in as much salt as you sweat. I carry Enduroltyes or S-Caps (salt pills) such that I have can take salt independent of food or water consumption.

The worst ride for me was a Sebring 24 hour TT. That ride is in Florida in February. My training leading up to it involved many hours of riding in 10 to 35F temperatures (commuting and weekend rides in New England in the winter). Race day temperatures were from 80 to 100F. My bike was fitted with 5x 24oz water bottles and my pockets were full of food so I wouldn't have to stop much. I drank plenty of water (approx 20-30oz/hour) and drink mix, but I ran into a few warning signs: no desire to eat food, frequent urination stops (very clear, too), blurry vision. Ultimately, I quit that race about 16or 18 hours into it -- it's not technically DNFing, but my distance was underwhelming. Endurolytes and/or canned soup would have kept me going during that event.
In the mid-West 24h TTs we did back in the mid-2000s, chicken soup proved to be the ideal thing that revived me into the evening. Heated so it is palatable, but not so hot to burn the tongue, it is ideal.