Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

PSA test and riding

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

PSA test and riding

Old 09-27-17, 07:57 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
PSA test and riding

I was at the Dr for my annual and he ordered a PSA test along with the usuals. Thanks to this group I knew enough to ask about riding before the test. It's been a tradition of mine to ride downtown to the hospital. After all if I can ride there then I'm not dead, right? He said just don't ride the day of the test. Is that what y'all have heard? Any other thoughts? BTW, this guy wouldn't know a bike if it fell on his head. Unfortunately previous guy retired, hope he's riding happily somewhere. I can choose another doc going forward but this is what I got for now. Thanks.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 09-27-17 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Adds
Old 09-27-17, 08:51 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
For over 2 years I have been having monthly PSA and blood-workup following treatment for Gleason 10 cancer right prostate half and Gleason 6 left prostate half. I found discontinuing my riding 5/6 days before blood draw worked good for me, HOWEVER, I had been riding 1 to 3 centuries a week so plenty of irritation. I am now on a 3 month draw and will still continue with the 5/6 days stoppage.
Old 09-28-17, 02:24 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
My doc says lay off riding for a week before the test. I've heard the same from my biking friends.
Old 09-28-17, 03:12 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I go with a week off. I ride enough that taking a week off is good for me mentally as well.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-28-17, 03:47 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
So, is not riding for a period of time before having your PSA test, "fudging" the result ?
What is the best reflection of your normal status?
IMHO- what ever represents your constant state physiological condition is best time to get the testing done?
Old 09-28-17, 04:19 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
"Normal" is determined by the general population, almost all of which is composed of non-cyclists. If taking time off the bike were "fudging" the result, I doubt that doctors would consistently recommend it.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-28-17, 05:20 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
So, is not riding for a period of time before having your PSA test, "fudging" the result ?
IMHO- what ever represents your constant state physiological condition is best time to get the testing done?
My understanding (totally lay) is that PSA level increase proportionally to the size of the prostate. So elevated PSA routinely results from benign growth (BPH) or from cancerous growth. That is why elevated PSA is associated with cancer but not determinant. Irritation of the prostate can increase PSA output in the absence of growth (e.g. in the absence of either cancer or BPH). So docs advise avoiding the irritation to filter out misleading elevated levels.
Old 09-28-17, 06:17 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Prostate cancer survivor here...15 yrs and counting (diagnosed at 45yo, radical). I'm glad to see so much discussion on this topic in the forum...important. I do not remember my doctors telling me to change or stop anything during the process of testing and biopsy (except for healing time following the biopsy and surgery). Of course, some things have changed in 15 years, including the influence of insurance companies on health care (check block for conspiracy theory).

So, into personal opinion, and this requires some extrapolation. From my perspective, I'd lean towards being interested in test results from my daily normal or steady state...that is, no change to my workout, riding, or routine. Throughout my career, if I were looking for problems in any electronic, electrical, hydro, hydraulic, air, mechanical, fuel, etc systems, I'd want readings for that system under normal operating conditions and under high load conditions (and the conditions that caused the issue if we knew them). There are readings and tests to be taken in static state or at idle to be sure, but those can be misleading vs the state of equipment when operating, especially under load. The human body, after all, is a supreme example of systems working with/within systems. I keep a close eye on my PSA to this day, because next stop for this should there be one is in the bones. I do not do anything except my norm before blood draws (except the fasting for the other blood work) to this day. It would be great to have a urologist come on here to speak to the interactions of human hormones, enzymes in the blood, etc etc that effect a PSA test and the why of the currently practiced best conditions for the PSA blood draw.

I think healthy discussion with one's urologist about all aspects of prostate health an essential part of getting to the bottom of where one actually is in terms of prostate health and what best fits an individual in terms of testing, and if required, treatment. Leave no stone unturned, seek second opinions and trust your instincts, but above all---take action. Experience and opinions vary...these are mine.
Old 09-28-17, 06:45 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
I assumed an elevated PSA caused by cycling was from a slightly irritated prostate. Correct?

I figure since my prostate is gone, riding before a test shouldn’t affect anything.

Old 09-28-17, 10:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I never heard of any need to stop riding for a PSA test. My PSA is always very low. I doubt that more than two or three days ever existed between riding and testing.

So if your PSA is not testing high, it might not be a concern to stop riding. If it does test high, you can ask for a retest after taking a break. Insurance may not cover you taking the test a second time so soon, but the test is not expensive to pay for yourself.
Old 09-28-17, 11:44 AM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
Going in for a wellness checkup with my doctor on Monday which will include blood work, I'll let you know what he says. I will continue to ride through Sunday.
Old 09-28-17, 12:05 PM
markjenn

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The advice to stop riding before a PSA test is to avoid a "false positive" elevated score. Riding doesn't elevate your cancer risk but it can elevate your score on a test that assesses your cancer risk.

I always have to pipe up on these threads and say that the PSA test is controversial and anyone taking it should understand the Pandora's box they open when they take it. The test is, of course, benign, but the subsequent actions one might take based on the results are anything but. Many experts (including an independent agency which statistically evaluates the pros/cons of various medical tests), do not recommend routine PSA testing.

https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...ncer-screening

- Mark
Old 09-28-17, 01:02 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Makes sense to me.

Originally Posted by revchuck
"Normal" is determined by the general population, almost all of which is composed of non-cyclists. If taking time off the bike were "fudging" the result, I doubt that doctors would consistently recommend it.
Normal is determined by YOU which is why no doctor would ever cut on your prostate based on only one test result. So... if you are a daily cyclist, staying off the bike for a week is indeed 'fudging' the result. The week without biking may do more harm ultimately, than the trifling amount of any reduction in PSA level. Doctors are smart, but they are also risk averse, professionally and in general. There are doctors out there telling men not to ride bicycles at all.
Old 09-28-17, 05:39 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
The advice to stop riding before a PSA test is to avoid a "false positive" elevated score. Riding doesn't elevate your cancer risk but it can elevate your score on a test that assesses your cancer risk.

I always have to pipe up on these threads and say that the PSA test is controversial and anyone taking it should understand the Pandora's box they open when they take it. The test is, of course, benign, but the subsequent actions one might take based on the results are anything but. Many experts (including an independent agency which statistically evaluates the pros/cons of various medical tests), do not recommend routine PSA testing.

https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...ncer-screening

- Mark
Thank you for posting this and the link.

My Dr. has suggested no more PSA testing as I'm mid 60's and have had very low PSA scores since I began being tested some time back. I could not understand why he'd stop testing as its just a blood test and not the least bit invasive. Now I know. One more benefit of being part of this cycling community.

Thanks again.
Old 09-28-17, 05:46 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My urologist said to not ride for 2-3 days before the test.
While you're getting the exam you also need the digital exam (finger test). My PSA was never elevated but the digital test is how the doc discovered my prostate's abnormally. Glad I had it. My prostate cancer was discovered before it spread.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-29-17, 09:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
the digital test
when my doc starts making trivial small talk, I know that's coming next
Old 09-29-17, 10:37 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
when my doc starts making trivial small talk, I know that's coming next
That's the thing, isn't it. Over the (many) years with my old doc we had evolved a routine and I did know what was coming. He's retired, God bless him, so I got seen by this new guy. He seemed pretty unsure of himself and shy and didn't do the digital test. I should have insisted, but didn't feel sure about asking. "Hey doc, how about the finger?". So I'll get the PSA test. I haven't ridden for two days and tomorrow will make three. And it's killing me. The thing about the PSA is it's a number and there's a threshold in the computer that will trigger the medical industrial complex to follow their predefined methods. I prefer the old way with my doc as advocate for me. He also was very supportive of my riding, especially since it helped me lose 50+ pounds. Tomorrow when I drive over to the hospital and circle the parking lot, I'll be feeling like a real loser. Just another old guy victim, not the healthy guy hooking my bike up to the rack with a feeling of superiority over all the losers who have to drive everywhere and complain about parking. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 09-29-17, 10:52 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
I've never been advised to do anything one way or the other before or after a prostate exam. Frankly, if your riding is having an impact on your prostate, I suspect you're sitting on the seat wrong!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-29-17, 11:27 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
My urologist said to not ride for 2-3 days before the test.
While you're getting the exam you also need the digital exam (finger test). My PSA was never elevated but the digital test is how the doc discovered my prostate's abnormally. Glad I had it. My prostate cancer was discovered before it spread.
My cancer was found by a DRE, not PSA which is very low. Had a Gleason 8 (5+3) after biopsy and was found to be aggressive after removal and pathology. It has returned twice.

Old 09-29-17, 11:31 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The to PSA or not to PSA question is interesting, and left to each patient/doctor to sort out the pros/cons. I'd passed for a few years after completely neutral recommendations, but got the suggestion to test this year.

It happened that I had ridden 50 K the day before, but the day I was tested was one of the rare days I didn't ride to see the doctor. My results came back normal but significantly increased from the prior test, so I needed a retest. The recommendation for retest by my doctor - avoid bicycling for "a few" days and avoid sexual activity for 24 hours. Anyhow, bike friendly practice (my doctor doesn't, but her colleagues do) they were completely relaxed that I had to wait to retest until AFTER the Bike MS two day ride. When I finally did the retest (happened to be off the bike the first week of July) - it was normal and *slightly* increased from prior test, so no worries.

Biking to the doctor has its moments. A few weeks later:

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Getting an ultrasound this past Friday. And the technician is looking at my thigh, looking at the screen, looking at my helmet on the table, then looking at me, asking "how far did you bike here today?"

"Oh, just over 10K."

"And it doesn't hurt?"
-mr. bill
Old 09-29-17, 12:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
The PSA is a screening test, not a diagnostic test. An elevated PSA level does not mean you have prostate cancer (nor, for that matter does a normal PSA level mean you don't have prostate cancer); it just means there is cause for further work-up. The DRE can also screen for prostate cancer, but like the PSA is not completely definitive. Definitive diagnosis of prostate cancer can only be done by biopsy.
Old 09-29-17, 02:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

What we simply have here are different opinions on the same subject and that is nothing new regarding the medical field. MY TREATING DOC wanted me to NOT RIDE before my PSA testing. HE IS THE MAN who treated my GLEASON 5 + 5 or Gleason 10. Don't get no higher Gleason than that. MY life, his recommendations, I listen.
Old 09-29-17, 06:26 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I assumed an elevated PSA caused by cycling was from a slightly irritated prostate. Correct?

I figure since my prostate is gone, riding before a test shouldn’t affect anything.
That is what my urologist told me before the prostate removal; no riding or sex for 4 days prior to PSA testing.

After prostate removal he said it didn't matter, because there should not be any PSA production.
Old 09-30-17, 06:29 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Doug64
That is what my urologist told me before the prostate removal; no riding or sex for 4 days prior to PSA testing.

After prostate removal he said it didn't matter, because there should not be any PSA production.
AFTER prostate removal, the re-appearance of rising PSA following testing can be an indication of recurrence of the PCa (prostate cancer) that has metastasized.
Old 09-30-17, 06:59 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
AFTER prostate removal, the re-appearance of rising PSA following testing can be an indication of recurrence of the PCa (prostate cancer) that has metastasized.
This is how I understand, and why my doctors and I track, my (post-radical) PSA to this day. 👍🏻

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.