Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Gout??

Old 12-03-17, 06:43 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Gout??

So anyone here suffer with it? How do you handle it?
Old 12-03-17, 07:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Stay hydrated and avoid foods that are known to exacerbate it. I've had several attacks, usually a few years apart but always a big toe, either side. The most memorable started the first day of a week long bike tour. The pain was just tolerable while pedaling but pressing down to clip in was more than I could take. I resorted to leaving my shoe clipped in and pulling my foot out of my shoe when I stopped. Was tricky. Took lots of Alleve that week.
Old 12-04-17, 07:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Gout is sometimes referred to as a rich-man's disease, because the foods that cause it (think MEAT) tend to be expensive. Drink lots, eat less meat, especially organ meats. There are medicines available but you'll have to see your doc. I've had a few minor episodes in the past and took care of it mostly by drinking more.
Old 12-04-17, 07:18 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you talking about an acute attack that just started, or a recurring, chronic problem? If it's acute, you need to see your doctor, or some doctor, preferably today. You'll need medication to try to control this acute attack, usually colchicine or indomethicin, then some blood work and some advice on how to keep your uric acid levels under control.

Don't delay seeking treatment. Typically, the sooner you get started on that medication after an attack starts, the more effective it is and the quicker the attack resolves.

Last edited by Cuyuna; 12-04-17 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-04-17, 07:37 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I have had it for decades. About 20 years ago I started taking Allopurinol and have not had an outbreak since then. I also lost about 18% of body weight about 5 years ago which may help. I should keep some Indomethecin in case I get a breakthrough but I don't currently have any.
Old 12-04-17, 08:11 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Have had it once. Not pleasant. After a couple of days, saw my doc who prescribed prednisone. No problem since and that was several years ago.
Old 12-04-17, 09:11 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
organ meat just sounds wrong
Old 12-04-17, 09:54 AM
pcf

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This works for me

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E...+booster+drops
Likes For pcf:
Old 12-04-17, 03:58 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

My wife is the one having a bit of problem n her toe. She has started drinking more water and that seems to help. Heard about celery seed extract might be helpful.

QUOTE=pcf;20031664]This works for me

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E...+booster+drops[/QUOTE]
Old 12-04-17, 05:49 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're talking about lowering your serum uric acid, low dose aspirin works.
Likes For Cuyuna:
Old 12-04-17, 06:19 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
I have had it for decades. About 20 years ago I started taking Allopurinol and have not had an outbreak since then. I also lost about 18% of body weight about 5 years ago which may help. I should keep some Indomethecin in case I get a breakthrough but I don't currently have any.
I had several gout attacks over a number of years. Now I take Allopurinol every day. No attacks in over 3 years and my Uric acid levels are once again normal.
Old 12-04-17, 06:26 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I had some years with periodic swelling of joints for no good reason, chaulked it up to age. Never in my toe. Finally had a knee swell to the point that I needed to use a cane, had it drained and tested positive for high uric acid (gout). I then found that 3 older brothers have suffered from gout , so it can be genetic. I eat fairly well, but was determined to beat this with diet. Lost 20 lbs and symptoms just worsened. Now on Allopurinol and life is good. A warning though, when you start Allopurinol or similar drugs, you get a flushing of uric acid that can make things seem worse for a while. Did so for me. A few times I needed to call the Dr. for an immediate relief of prednisone as I couldn't walk, achilles one side, ankle the other. For me it seemed to manifest in joints I had injured and when you get into your 60's you've injured lots of them. Was disheartening. Now, I'm happy its over and being treated as I really thought that I was resigned to joint pain just for getting older, now I'm lots healthier.
Gout is caused by your body making too much uric acid or from your body not being able to rid itself of even normal amounts, hence the genetic components.
Old 12-07-17, 11:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
been having gout attacks since the summer of 2009 I think

meat & alcohol - avoid it all, not just organ meat or seafood & not just beer (eggs OK)
lemonade w/o sugar aka fresh lemons in water
apple cider vinegar the murky natural kind
stay away from sugar like the glazing on pastries & cake icing

had the worst gout attack last Christmas. picture me in a hotel room w an ice bucket bag ace bandaged to my elevated foot taking all the meds I could get my hands on

did more research and discovered all meat even chicken had purins. *eggs are OK* and all alcohol contributed too. went cold turkey no meat or alcohol for a cpl weeks. also started mega hydrating. was already using lemon juice in water but I kicked it up a notch. added apple cider vinegar to the routine

if I make it thru the end of December I will be 1 year gout attack free

my daily routine
on waking 16 ozs water w a dash of apple cider vinegar
avoid meat in breakfast, remember eggs are OK

cut up & squeeze (& strain) 2 large or 3 small lemons & add to flask of water to bring to office
at office drink 16 ozs water w 1/2 of that diluted lemon juice

drink another 16ozs regular water thru the morning

avoid meat with lunch

after lunch, drink 16ozs water with the rest of the diluted lemon water
sometime have an afternoon snack w eggs

drink another 16ozs regular water thru the morning

at home 16 ozs water w a dash of apple cider vinegar
avoid meat w dinner
avoid alcohol

drink another 16ozs regular water thru the evening

using this daily routine I can safety have meat & alcohol sparingly. sometimes I'll have meat no alcohol or alcohol & no meat. sometimes both but rarely

good luck!

oh btw - I've been pharmaceutical free since last January!!!!!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-07-17 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 11:47 PM
Scottb
Scottb-Newbie

Bikes: Scott Mtn Bike, 1971 Gitane Rd bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natural remedies

I have had a few episodes since dealing with thyroid cancer and the subsequent surgery and radioactive therapies. What I have found helps reduce the inflammation and pain or eliminate them altogether are: fresh celery, celery seed, fresh cherries and juice (not as effective), tart cherry capsules (much better results) and turmeric. I also take a capsule by Solaray called Total Cleanse which includes several natural things which keeps the symptoms at bay for the most part. Hope this helps.
Old 12-14-17, 09:25 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
Seafood is the crippler for me. And if I combine that with a couple of beers WOWZAH! Even a small piece of salmon can set mine off. So avoid the high purine foods, stay hydrated, avoid booze as much as possible.
Old 12-14-17, 09:41 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Stay hydrated and avoid foods that are known to exacerbate it. I've had several attacks, usually a few years apart but always a big toe, either side. The most memorable started the first day of a week long bike tour. The pain was just tolerable while pedaling but pressing down to clip in was more than I could take. I resorted to leaving my shoe clipped in and pulling my foot out of my shoe when I stopped. Was tricky. Took lots of Alleve that week.
++ This.

Based on my experiences, and from what's posted here, it seems there is significant variation depending on your body's unique characteristics; but there are commonalities, with however your body processes purines being very important for many.

If you can find out what specific foods you're eating that cause a flare-up, then you're on your way to long-term relief.

For me, it's seems to be specific spicy food flavorings that are added to things like certain pizza toppings, and (interestingly) "Cool Ranch"-flavored Doritos.

I would suggest keeping a very strict diary of everything you put into your face, to try to narrow down exactly what might be causing the symptoms of gout.

A good by-product of that is you may discover other bad habits you can work on reducing. In my case, I was drinking a ton of sugar (in coffee). I simply didn't register this as "food intake". I've certainly improved my health by eliminating that, which was totally unrelated to my symptoms of gout.
Old 12-14-17, 10:27 AM
JohnnyB65

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just got over a flare up after gorging myself on seafood and tequila in Las Vegas. I’ve had gout for years, but this was the first time I ever had a flare up. The doctor gave some pills to take for 3 days plus I’m already taking Allopurinol and I had to double it until the flare-up was gone. I’m now paying a lot more attention to what I eat and drinking more water.
Old 12-14-17, 01:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
sugar & carbs are bad too, I've read
Old 12-14-17, 01:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
organ meat just sounds wrong
Until you have had good veal kidneys in a mustard cream sauce. Had them in Brussels way back in '85 with a side of excellent frites. One of the best restaurant meals I have ever had. Made them at home a few years ago. Good, but not the same. I am also a liver lover.
Old 12-14-17, 03:16 PM
JohnnyB65

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used to love Liver and onions, but haven't been able to eat that for years.
Old 12-16-17, 08:31 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
If you are on a BP medicine, that can also contribute.

I am on BP med. and when I started to have some GOUT (should be called GOUCH) he switched me to a different type of BP meds. and the symptoms dissappeared.

Now, about my BP...riding a bicycle has helped that as well.
Old 12-27-17, 02:54 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've had it since 2000, and I had to totally give up alcohol. Liver sausage (or Braunschweiger) causes flare ups in my entire family, my dad had what I now figure is gout for years, and I had it for some time until I had some peas at a local restaurant one night, and an attack started nearly immediately. My wife took me to the HMO immediately, and they saw a dark line across my toe joint on my big toe, that, and the swelling, was considered enough of an indicator for a blood test for uric acid, and I was diagnosed and put on allopurinol soon thereafter. Also on BP meds, but genetics had a big hand in all of my situation. Bicycling is good for what ails ya.
Old 12-30-17, 06:27 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've had gout attacks starting in 2004. I control mine through diet. I especially avoid shell fish. If I feel a slight twinge, I stop drinking alcohol for a few days.

I also make sure to stay hydrated especially when riding or in hot weather.

A couple of years ago I made a BIG mistake. I let my cardiologist put me on a diuretic for high blood pressure. It dropped my BP by 10 points almost over night. It also started a bunch of gout attacks. A diuretic basically keeps you dehydrated.
Old 12-30-17, 07:32 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Easy, add unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of water 4 times a day (a half hour before each meal and bedtime) and your gout will be gone within a few days. Cherry juice is almost as effective, but not quite.
Old 01-09-18, 07:36 PM
Tandem Tom

OP here.
My wife started with the celery seed extract a few days ago and she says it has helped quite a bit!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.