Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXX

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 07:06 AM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
It’s the worst. Even worst than painting, which I’ve been doing the last 3 weeks on just one frikkin room.
Painting is more stoopider than running.
Old 04-20-18, 07:06 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug28450
I was at a swim meet. I was the Meet Referee and I had plenty of officials so that I did not have to assign myself to a position. For that session, I mostly sat at the Admin table watching over my Kingdom. At around 1:00 pm a Coach walked over to discuss some elements of the meet. Suddenly, I got light headed, my chest felt like it had a ton of bricks on it and my heart rate took off. After a minute or so the light-headedness was going away and some of weight on my chest felt lighter, but my heart was still racing. There was about a half hour of the meet left and I was generally feeling better, so, like a he-man, I kept on. Meet ended and we had a few things to put away, so we did that and headed home. We're getting on to an hour now and my heart rate was still high, but I'm still feeling better. We get home and I sit down with a big glass of water. Drank that and got another. Went to the bathroom and as I'm walking out, I notice that my neck is bulging away with the heartbeat. I go to the bedroom, lie down and a call Mrs. Doug28450. I told her to turn on the light and look at my neck. She does, checks my pulse and says we're going to the hospital. Now, we are at around 2 hours of high heart rate. At the ER I described the symptoms to the receptionist and got the go to the head of the class card. They hooked me up to the EKG, took BP and some other vitals. My heart rate was running around 220 to 230. They took me to an ER room where two Doctors were waiting for me. Went through it with them, they talked a minute or two and recommended a Vagal(?) maneuver where they had me blow into a syringe, then flipped me upside down. When they started the maneuver, my wife said my HR was around 220. After being upside down for maybe a minute, she said my HR was at 190 and falling. All told, my HR was up over 200 for probably 2.5 hours.

Saw a Cardio and got a Sonogram that week. Everything seems to be okay,
Sounds like fun.
Old 04-20-18, 07:07 AM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Sounds like fun.
The swim meet was fun.
Old 04-20-18, 07:07 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Who can say?
Did you buy new running shoes yet?
Old 04-20-18, 07:10 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by WhyFi
[bike crap hand-wringing]

I can't wait for May and the (presumed) power meter sales to arrive. Still undecided on which direction I'll go, but at this point the most likely candidates are: dual-power pedals (Assioma, most likely, but still the possibility of the PowerTaps) or a Power2Max NG Eco crankset. If the CleverTraining sale is 20%, as it has been in previous years, the price will be pretty close between the three options. If P2M decides to have a festive little sale of their own (they've done discounts, thrown in chainrings and free shipping, etc, in the past), then the crankset will be more attractive as I'll get to keep my Speedplays.

Whatever - I just want to get on with it and ride my damn bike. Speaking of which, we should see ~60° and moderate sun for the next few days, so there's hope that even the snowbanks will be gone in short order. I am also producing much less mucus and better able to breathe, so maybe I'll be ready ready to ride in short order, too.

[/bike crap hand-wringing]
Why are you fighting against logic and common sense?
Old 04-20-18, 07:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Why are you fighting against logic and common sense?
Oh noes! That's my MO, or so I hear. What would logic and common sense dictate?
Old 04-20-18, 07:30 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I was at a swim meet. I was the Meet Referee and I had plenty of officials so that I did not have to assign myself to a position. For that session, I mostly sat at the Admin table watching over my Kingdom. At around 1:00 pm a Coach walked over to discuss some elements of the meet. Suddenly, I got light headed, my chest felt like it had a ton of bricks on it and my heart rate took off. After a minute or so the light-headedness was going away and some of weight on my chest felt lighter, but my heart was still racing. There was about a half hour of the meet left and I was generally feeling better, so, like a he-man, I kept on. Meet ended and we had a few things to put away, so we did that and headed home. We're getting on to an hour now and my heart rate was still high, but I'm still feeling better. We get home and I sit down with a big glass of water. Drank that and got another. Went to the bathroom and as I'm walking out, I notice that my neck is bulging away with the heartbeat. I go to the bedroom, lie down and a call Mrs. Doug28450. I told her to turn on the light and look at my neck. She does, checks my pulse and says we're going to the hospital. Now, we are at around 2 hours of high heart rate. At the ER I described the symptoms to the receptionist and got the go to the head of the class card. They hooked me up to the EKG, took BP and some other vitals. My heart rate was running around 220 to 230. They took me to an ER room where two Doctors were waiting for me. Went through it with them, they talked a minute or two and recommended a Vagal(?) maneuver where they had me blow into a syringe, then flipped me upside down. When they started the maneuver, my wife said my HR was around 220. After being upside down for maybe a minute, she said my HR was at 190 and falling. All told, my HR was up over 200 for probably 2.5 hours.

Saw a Cardio and got a Sonogram that week. Everything seems to be okay,
Holy cow. Glad to hear all went well. These are the sort of stories that make me want to figure out what's going on, but obviously my little blips are tiny in comparison. Glad your wife was there to get you some help/talk you into getting some help.
Old 04-20-18, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
So it appears I am famous as I have been informed that a banned member of BF, who shall remain nameless, has been ranting about me on one of his Facebook pages. I was sent the link, but, unfortunately, I cannot access Facebook while at work, so I have to wait until I get home. Waiting to hear back from my informant whether he's ranting about the Indyfabz me or my profile on another bike-related forum that he migrated too with his same schtick after he was banned from BF.
Old 04-20-18, 07:36 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
50+
Haha that’s what I was going to say.

As appealing as all the talk comparing yalls GI preps for colonoscopy is, somehow I found myself uninterested in joining the conversation...
Old 04-20-18, 07:38 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by BillyD
I respectfully disagree. I don’t care what people say about how he mistreated this person or that, the main reason they hate him is because his doping admissions broke their little hearts.
I think it's both, but it's usually one or the other depending on the person. The doping is the hurtful part if you were invested in the "miracle" aspect of the story. Good 'ole boy beats cancer and becomes the best TdF rider in history, inspires millions, etc.

For others (and I count myself in this camp) it was the mob like influence he had on the whole sport as a result of his efforts to cover up his PED use. People love Pantani who was obviously about as drugged up as possible. But he died tragically and is seen as a victim of the culture of professional cycling in his day. Armstrong was the agitator in his era and arguably created more victims.

I do wonder how people will look back at everything 15-20 years from now.
Old 04-20-18, 07:40 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by indyfabz
So it appears I am famous as I have been informed that a banned member of BF, who shall remain nameless, has been ranting about me on one of his Facebook pages. I was sent the link, but, unfortunately, I cannot access Facebook while at work, so I have to wait until I get home. Waiting to hear back from my informant whether he's ranting about the Indyfabz me or my profile on another bike-related forum that he migrated too with his same schtick after he was banned from BF.
Making enemies? What did you say? Just the gist of it, no need to bring bad vibes here. Juicy gossip, yes. Bad vibes, no.
Old 04-20-18, 07:42 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by Heathpack

As appealing as all the talk comparing yalls GI preps for colonoscopy is, somehow I found myself uninterested in joining the conversation...
If you want to change the subject, I'd like some input on meal prep. My breakfast routine sucks and I have little time in the mornings dealing with getting my girl to school. Any ideas on healthy stuff I can prep the night before? I was doing oatmeal and berries, but oatmeal is a pain at work and I'd like to work some more protein into the morning meal.

I think I recall you doing an oatmeal bake type thing on the weekends? Maybe add some nuts?
indyfabz

I was at a swim meet....
And this one time at band camp....

Seriously....As someone who was born with a congenital heart defect that eventually resulted in me having my aortic valve replaced, I know how scary cardiac episodes can be. My surgery was done in Pittsburgh, where I was going to law school. The day after I got out of the hospital I took a train home to Philly to rest up before my third year started. During the trip back my heart rate elevated. When I arrived back in Pittsburgh I went straight to the ER. As you experienced, probably the only good thing about a cardiac episode is that it moves you to the front of the line. I was sitting in the ER next to an older couple. The husband felt something was wrong is his chest. The nurse asked him if he had any pain. He answered "no." I piped up and said "I do." She looked at me and said "That's not funny." I guess she thought someone of my age (I was 25 at the time.) could not be having heart issues. I unbuttoned two of the buttons of my shirt and spread it to show her my relatively fresh chest scar. She got cantaloupe eyes and immediately ran to get help.
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Moving is stupid, btw. Just saying. I know it may be necessary, but still a PITA.
I dunno, once you get used to doing it once a year for your entire adult life it's not so bad.

Old 04-20-18, 07:46 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,758 Times in 2,767 Posts

No ****.
Old 04-20-18, 07:56 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
If you want to change the subject, I'd like some input on meal prep. My breakfast routine sucks and I have little time in the mornings dealing with getting my girl to school. Any ideas on healthy stuff I can prep the night before? I was doing oatmeal and berries, but oatmeal is a pain at work and I'd like to work some more protein into the morning meal.

I think I recall you doing an oatmeal bake type thing on the weekends? Maybe add some nuts?
What’s a pain about oatmeal at work? I bring pre-made oatmeal a lot and just microwave it. When I do this, I make a batch of steel cut oats on Sunday, enough to get me through the week. My favorite flavors are gingerbread and apple cinnamon. Throw a few berries on top and some walnuts and you have a tasty breakfast. If you want those recipes, I’ll post or message you.

I also frequently eat cold soaked oats- ie muesli. No cooking involved, it’s milk, oats, dried fruits, seeds and nuts. When I first read about it, seemed weird to me, but it’s really good. Happy to post that recipe too.

When I don’t have time of any of that, I bring the Aldi version of Kashi cereal, which is pretty high in protein. Cereal, berries and milk is a classic.

The only thing I routinely make that’s totally grab and go, though, is lemon Greek yogurt. Homemade lemon curd mixed with Greek yogurt that I put into 1 cup freezer jam jars- not to freeze it, they’re just reusable containers the same size & shape as commercial yogurt cups. The lemon curd freezes perfectly so I make it in batches. Keep a jar in the fridge at all times and the rest in jars in the freezer until I need them.

I eat very few things that contain ingredients. Mostly I make things that other people get out of a jar. So be forewarned that my idea of something is “easy” or “no big deal” is different from most people’s. But the lemon curd is easy to make and I’m happy to post or send that one too, if you like yogurt.

Of all these breakfast things, the Greek yogurt has the most protein.

PS, I also frequently consume whey protein shakes which are very filling. Unflavored whey protein, milk, and various delicious mix ins.
Old 04-20-18, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

Making enemies? What did you say? Just the gist of it, no need to bring bad vibes here. Juicy gossip, yes. Bad vibes, no.

Just received word that he's ranting about the Indybaz me. I used to have that same ID on the other forum. It must have something to do with something there because he was banned from BF nearly 2 years ago. Also, the rant apparently mentions the mods of that forum. I deleted my Indyfabz profile months ago after some not-unpleasant back and forth with the mod because the guy was pulling the same stuff there that got him banned here. The mod of that forum recently deleted all his accounts and posts but apparently let him back in. Just the other day he threatened my informant via a PM, claiming to know the names of his husband and kids and where they lived. (My informant is a male but has a woman's profile name, which shows you how nuts this poster is.)
Old 04-20-18, 08:06 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Just received word that he's ranting about the Indybaz me. I used to have that same ID on the other forum. It must have something to do with something there because he was banned from BF nearly 2 years ago. Also, the rant apparently mentions the mods of that forum. I deleted my Indyfabz profile months ago after some not-unpleasant back and forth with the mod because the guy was pulling the same stuff there that got him banned here. The mod of that forum recently deleted all his accounts and posts but apparently let him back in. Just the other day he threatened my informant via a PM, claiming to know the names of his husband and kids and where they lived. (My informant is a male but has a woman's profile name, which shows you how nuts this poster is.)
The internet is a scary place. People start to say and do stuff they wouldn’t in real life, and then that sort of behavior starts to seem normal and in spills into real life and it changes a lot of face to face interactions as well.

I’ve had it here. Someone who developed a hatred towards me and had to use every post as an opportunity to put me in my place, to the extent of referring to me in threads I wasn’t even participating in. Meanwhile, my “friends” in Addiction seeing it and not only not speaking up but encouraging the dudes further participation.

It eventually got taken care of but it was eye opening:
1. People’s internet behavior can be nutso
2. Some percentage of those people are likely nutso IRL
3. Other people on the internet find nutso people entertaining and are unlikely to discourage the menacing aspects of it
4. Questionable whether participation, which is inherently stupid, is worth the hassle/risk/exposure

Hopefully the mods elsewhere take care of it...
Old 04-20-18, 08:07 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Oh noes! That's my MO, or so I hear. What would logic and common sense dictate?
That you should stop upgrading your bikes.
Old 04-20-18, 08:09 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

I think you meant infamous.
Old 04-20-18, 08:09 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

What’s a pain about oatmeal at work? I bring pre-made oatmeal a lot and just microwave it. When I do this, I make a batch of steel cut oats on Sunday, enough to get me through the week. My favorite flavors are gingerbread and apple cinnamon. Throw a few berries on top and some walnuts and you have a tasty breakfast. If you want those recipes, I’ll post or message you.

I also frequently eat cold soaked oats- ie muesli. No cooking involved, it’s milk, oats, dried fruits, seeds and nuts. When I first read about it, seemed weird to me, but it’s really good. Happy to post that recipe too.

When I don’t have time of any of that, I bring the Aldi version of Kashi cereal, which is pretty high in protein. Cereal, berries and milk is a classic.

The only thing I routinely make that’s totally grab and go, though, is lemon Greek yogurt. Homemade lemon curd mixed with Greek yogurt that I put into 1 cup freezer jam jars- not to freeze it, they’re just reusable containers the same size & shape as commercial yogurt cups. The lemon curd freezes perfectly so I make it in batches. Keep a jar in the fridge at all times and the rest in jars in the freezer until I need them.

I eat very few things that contain ingredients. Mostly I make things that other people get out of a jar. So be forewarned that my idea of something is “easy” or “no big deal” is different from most people’s. But the lemon curd is easy to make and I’m happy to post or send that one too, if you like yogurt.

Of all these breakfast things, the Greek yogurt has the most protein.

PS, I also frequently consume whey protein shakes which are very filling. Unflavored whey protein, milk, and various delicious mix ins.
I was using the quaker oats steel cut stuff which required microwaving in a mug at work. depending on the day, getting that done and cleaning up, etc. can be a pain. What you're describing is what I remembered you talking about. Doing a baked oatmeal would be a lot more convenient. Feel free to post some oatmeal recipes. I'm sure others could use it as well.

EDIT: Ok, I'm reading into this wrong. So you're premade oatmeal is just a batch, and not necessarily a baked oatmeal thing?
Old 04-20-18, 08:10 AM
WhyFi

That you should stop upgrading your bikes.
Oh.

But what fun is that?
Old 04-20-18, 08:12 AM
WhyFi

...a banned member of BF, who shall remain nameless...
But what fun is that?
Old 04-20-18, 08:22 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

So I have been both busy at work and everything has been more difficult than it needs to be. I’m a bit mentally exhausted.

Looking forward to getting out on the bike this weekend, TT workout tomorrow. Sunday I’m torn because one of my cycling club mates is moving to Seattle and Sunday is his farewell ride. I’ve only got two hours on my schedule and Sundays club ride is an appealing route, they are going up and over a mountain as an out and back. Too long for my intentions but I could do my own thing, just ride to the top of the pass solo and meet the group there, then ride back with them to coffee. It would be nice, the kid that’s leaving is just one of those really good kids you hate to see go.

But I’d really prefer to ride my mountain bike, that’s a tough choice.

One more week of work and then staycation. Yay Tuesday I have a work up on a deranged aggressive cat, can’t touch him or examine him. Just anesthetize him and hope he doesn’t die. But just four more work days and then staycation.
Old 04-20-18, 08:22 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Oh.

But what fun is that?
I have an irrational desire to build a Litespeed titanium disc frame with Campagnolo Super Record 12 speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.