Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

5 bicyclists dead outside Kalamazoo

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 06:59 PM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Kalamazoo MI accident.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this.

KALAMAZOO COUNTY, Mich. — Multiple people are dead, including children, after a driver plowed into a group of bicycle riders in a hit-and-run in Kalamazoo County Tuesday evening.

Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Department Undersheriff Paul Matyas told WXMI the crash happened just before 7 p.m. in the 5500 block of N. Westnedge Avenue.

Nine people were either severely injured or killed in the crash, according to Matyas. Several of the victims are children, but the exact number is not yet known.
You can read the entire article at.... Multiple people dead, including children, after motorist plows into Kalamazoo cyclists | WGN-TV

Thoughts and prayers go out to the survivors and the friends/family members of the deceased.

Old 06-07-16, 07:01 PM
Lot's Knife

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Struck by a pickup.
Old 06-07-16, 07:14 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
That's horrible.
Old 06-07-16, 07:34 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
It's rough out there. It's not Disneyland.
Old 06-07-16, 07:41 PM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Unbelievable. And the comments are what you'd expect
Old 06-07-16, 07:53 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
So tragic. So sad, Condolences to the friends and families. A Pox on the driver for attempting to run.
Old 06-07-16, 08:03 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I hate seeing stuff like this. A cyclist in this area was killed last week while riding in a bike lane, by someone over the limit and speeding. It's scary because you see how quickly your life can be taken away or changed for the worse while you're out on the streets riding.
Old 06-07-16, 08:05 PM
b_twill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big news around these parts, such a tragedy. They are now reporting at least 5 have died, may have been part of a group ride. Police are still investigating. At least the driver is in custody after trying to flee from the accident. May the driver never see the sun without bars obstructing the view.
Multiple bicyclists hit, killed in crash | WWMT
Old 06-07-16, 08:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
What an unfortunate accident.

And, that section of Westnedge Ave appears to have some nice wide shoulders. Of course, we all know that shoulder maintenance often leaves a bit to be desired.
Old 06-07-16, 09:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Initial reports were that the driver was driving erratically, and hit cyclists head on while on the wrong side of the road.

Of course initial reports are often wrong, but if this holds up after investigation, then it sounds like a case of drunk driving. If so, and if the driver is caught, I hope the prosecutor gives him the option of pleading guilty to drunk driving homicide, or face charges of intentional murder on the theory that the only way it wasn't intentional was if he was drunk.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-07-16, 09:11 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
My hometown.

Tragic.

Old 06-07-16, 09:22 PM
CliffordK

I think I saw one report where the driver fled the scene on foot, but has been apprehended.
Old 06-07-16, 09:25 PM
buddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know if this was a pace line ?

My prayers go out to the survivors and family.
Old 06-07-16, 09:30 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If this happened in my area, the driver would get a ticket for failing to yield and probably have his license suspended for a few weeks until he took a court ordered driving course. Then his license would be reinstated and he'd be back on the road.
Old 06-07-16, 09:34 PM
buddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was it a pace line?
Old 06-07-16, 09:35 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Saw this in my Facebook feed tonite. Sad, indeed

Originally Posted by buddy
Does anyone know if this was a pace line ?

My prayers go out to the survivors and family.
Doubtful, if children were involved. Sounds more like an organized community or family ride.
Old 06-07-16, 09:52 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
That driver should be put so far back in jail he will never see the light of day again!!!!!
Old 06-07-16, 10:10 PM
Len S

Bikes: 1972 Gitane Gransport, 1985 Gitane Performance

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

5 bicyclists dead after crash north of Kalamazoo | WOODTV.com
Old 06-07-16, 11:27 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
A long time ago in my early days on BF I mentioned an incident with a pickup truck. A couple of posters wasted no time in taking me to task for "profiling" pickup drivers. I didn't mean to do that and walked back my comments, but after many years here, its clear that there is something majorly wrong with pickup drivers as a group. I don't want to hear anyone defend them anymore. I'm fed up with the culture of lawlessness and indifference to social norms that pervades that sector of humanity. That driver should never again see daylight. Others who don't commit mass murder, but commit grievous bodily injury to innocent cyclists and peds should be made to kneel as their licenses are set on fire and burned to ashes before their eyes.
Old 06-07-16, 11:33 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Watch this guy get a light sentence.

Last edited by Chris0516; 06-08-16 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 12:08 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A long time ago in my early days on BF I mentioned an incident with a pickup truck. A couple of posters wasted no time in taking me to task for "profiling" pickup drivers. I didn't mean to do that and walked back my comments, but after many years here, its clear that there is something majorly wrong with pickup drivers as a group. I don't want to hear anyone defend them anymore. I'm fed up with the culture of lawlessness and indifference to social norms that pervades that sector of humanity. That driver should never again see daylight. Others who don't commit mass murder, but commit grievous bodily injury to innocent cyclists and peds should be made to kneel as their licenses are set on fire and burned to ashes before their eyes.
Not all pickup drivers are bad. Not all pickup drivers drink and drive. But, there is a certain group of "rednecks" driving pickups who make a bad name for pickups, SUVs, and similar vehicles.

I agree that guy probably should never drive anything bigger than a golfcart again.
Old 06-08-16, 12:36 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
It was a club ride.

And there were 911 calls about the p/u's erratic driving that preceded the accident by almost 20 minutes.

Tragic and sobering.
Old 06-08-16, 01:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I can see why it's tempting to make that generalization. I drove a pickup for years until just recently and even I was occasionally tempted to regard PU drivers as uncouth drunken yahoos. Looking back over the past 40 years at many of the accidents I've stopped to render assistance before paramedics arrived, it sure seems like many of 'em were pickups and SUVs with drivers who smelled like alcohol. But that's probably just selective memory, bias confirmation and a weighted sampling group.

Pickups and SUVs are ubiquitous here and there are far more truck drivers who don't cause any grief. We just don't notice them.

Since resuming cycling last year I've noticed that, by far, most of the drivers who yell at me are in pickups and SUVs, usually young white men. I've had at least three instances within a mile of my home with young white men in beat up old SUVs yelling at me to get off the road -- usually from a very safe distance, after making a big melodramatic production of changing lanes (they could have passed me safely without a lane change) and swerving back after passing me safely. I just shrug it off. If they're not physically threatening me, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Ironically, I was recording a video blog a few months ago after chattering about this very topic with some folks after a group ride. Their opinion was that dually drivers were the worst. I hadn't noticed that particular group. So while I was riding home, narrating an otherwise boring ride video, sure 'nuff, a dually pickup passed me with the driver and passenger -- both young white men -- hooting at me. Not cussing or even angry, just hooting like drunken yahoos. Kinda funny.

But to be fair, I've had many more positive experiences with truck drivers. In fact, when I got my first flat tire out in the boonies last year and forgot my pump, a pickup driver gave me a lift home. And the same fellow stopped to offer me a ride a couple of months later when I was caught in the rain -- I thanked him and declined that time because I was already soaked and didn't want to mess up his truck, and was only a mile or so from home.

And along that same rural route other folks in pickups and SUVs have waved me on ahead when we've arrived simultaneously at stop sign intersections, or just given a good natured wave because they've seen me riding there many times before.

Offhand, as I recall, the actually aggressive (passing much too closely, cutting me off or right hooking) and distracted or rude drivers have been in new sedans, ranging from mid-priced to luxury models. About 2/3s driven by women, perhaps a third were men closer to my age (50something). Not pickups and SUVs. Those guys just seem to be noisy and petulant.

Still statistically insignificant for identifying real patterns. Just casual observations.
Old 06-08-16, 02:41 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
RIP to the five deceased cyclists', and condolences to their families.
Old 06-08-16, 02:45 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
3 Similar threads have been merged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.