Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How much time do you give a saddle?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-25-17, 09:15 AM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have had my bike for just about 3 weeks and I have about 14hrs of time in this saddle. I am really sore today after riding about 50 miles this week. I also have been wearing padded bike shorts the whole week. I am really sore on the right sit bone as well as further forward on both sides, but part of that is there is still a little discomfort from chafing not related to biking. I am guessing that that really is not enough time yet to start thinking about changing saddles?

Also after reading the forms for a while now I am beginning to think the salesman at my LBS didn't truly fit my bike for me. I honestly don't think I will go back to that LBS again, I went there a couple days after I got my bike to get some accessories and he was not very polite and tried to charge me full price after he told me he would give me a discount after buying the bike. When I asked him about the discount he promised he flat out lied and said he didn't promise me that. I have a pretty hot temper so rather then escalate things I just left the stuff there and left. He is the only salesman there, so I am not confident that he would help much if I took the bike there for a sizing. I think it is the right size bike, but I am not sure if the seat and or handlebars are set right for my size. My legs don't extend fully when I pedal, but its close and maybe that is correct I am just not sure. I don't think I would be comfortable putting my seat any higher, until I get more time biking I am too afraid of tipping, I have come close a handful of times already when starting. I am also using the stock seat stem on my bike, if that matters at all.

I hate that I lost confidence in the LBS where I bought my bike, he seemed so great that day that the shop was half the reason I bought the bike. Now I wish I had shopped around, but whats done is done and I still really like the bike. I ended up spending a few hundred on accessories at the big LBS in the area, I find myself wondering if they would be willing to fit the bike for me even though they didn't sell it.
Old 06-25-17, 09:49 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Photos of you riding the bike would help. A few experts, but no shortage of opinions on bikeforums.
Old 06-25-17, 09:57 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1
So I have had my bike for just about 3 weeks and I have about 14hrs of time in this saddle. I am really sore today after riding about 50 miles this week. I also have been wearing padded bike shorts the whole week. I am really sore on the right sit bone as well as further forward on both sides, but part of that is there is still a little discomfort from chafing not related to biking. I am guessing that that really is not enough time yet to start thinking about changing saddles?

Also after reading the forms for a while now I am beginning to think the salesman at my LBS didn't truly fit my bike for me. I honestly don't think I will go back to that LBS again, I went there a couple days after I got my bike to get some accessories and he was not very polite and tried to charge me full price after he told me he would give me a discount after buying the bike. When I asked him about the discount he promised he flat out lied and said he didn't promise me that. I have a pretty hot temper so rather then escalate things I just left the stuff there and left. He is the only salesman there, so I am not confident that he would help much if I took the bike there for a sizing. I think it is the right size bike, but I am not sure if the seat and or handlebars are set right for my size. My legs don't extend fully when I pedal, but its close and maybe that is correct I am just not sure. I don't think I would be comfortable putting my seat any higher, until I get more time biking I am too afraid of tipping, I have come close a handful of times already when starting. I am also using the stock seat stem on my bike, if that matters at all.

I hate that I lost confidence in the LBS where I bought my bike, he seemed so great that day that the shop was half the reason I bought the bike. Now I wish I had shopped around, but whats done is done and I still really like the bike. I ended up spending a few hundred on accessories at the big LBS in the area, I find myself wondering if they would be willing to fit the bike for me even though they didn't sell it.
I hope you can repair the relationship with your LBS as you might need him in the future for any warranty issues, not to mention bike fitting issues, and saddle adjustment.

I know this is not a great answer but, saddles are personal, and there is no hard and fast rule. In 20 years of riding as an adult, not to mention my time as a kid riding, I have never been comfortable with the stock saddle that came with the bike.
Old 06-25-17, 10:01 AM
ajbeck21
BIGWOLF

Bikes: gunnar crosshairs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Invest in a Brooks saddle, I have a B17 and love it. You will not regret it... I'd like to try out the C17 as well I hear great things about it as well.
Old 06-25-17, 10:02 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Many bike shops will do a fitting (for a fee) on bikes purchased elsewhere.
Old 06-25-17, 10:05 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ajbeck21
Invest in a Brooks saddle, I have a B17 and love it. You will not regret it... I'd like to try out the C17 as well I hear great things about it as well.
I have been riding a B17 for 5 years now. I love it. I bought a C17 a few years back. Did not love it.

Last edited by MRT2; 06-25-17 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-25-17, 10:23 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Try playing with the seat angle. For me, I need the tip slightly raised so my butt sits in the curve better. You can use your phone with tilt apps to measure the degrees
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-25-17, 03:30 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gave my new saddle (ISM Touring model) about a month and maybe around 10 adjustments before i decided it was a keeper
Old 06-25-17, 04:14 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
@bigbiker1 I won't recommend a saddle but to do so without knowing more about you, your riding style and what bike you bought it would be useless advice.

I suggest you don't rush into buying a new saddle. First post a few photos and tell us about your bike and the type of riding you see yourself doing.

Lastly saddles are very subjective. A good saddle for me may be useless to you and the search for a perfect saddle is probably never ending.

Edit: One last thought.........consider paying for a professional fitting with a bike fitter. The fit you get at a bike shop is not ideal even in the best of circumstances.
Old 06-26-17, 05:53 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
@bigbiker1 i won't recommend a saddle but to do so without knowing more about you, your riding style and what bike you bought it would be useless advice.

I suggest you don't rush into buying a new saddle. First post a few photos and tell us about your bike and the type of riding you see yourself doing.

Lastly saddles are very subjective. A good saddle for me may be useless to you and the search for a perfect saddle is probably never ending.

Edit: One last thought.........consider paying for a professional fitting with a bike fitter. The fit you get at a bike shop is not ideal even in the best of circumstances.
+1