Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I'd like some advice(Giant Escape 2 City Disc)

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 10-13-17, 11:19 AM
Fiend606

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new and relatively ignorant of quality of specific parts and so on. I'm currently 290lb and dropping(I started at 330 in June). I'm 6 feet 3 inches tall(32 inch inseam) and wide shoulders(also wide feet/2E). I'd like to get a bike for commuting/general transportation and fitness. I've been lurking a bit. I have a general idea of what I want. Initially when I was 330 I thought I'd save up for a Worksman Commuter but after reading around the internet/yelp and hearing about their poor customer service and seeming high error rate on orders to individual buyers I can't bring myself to risk that much money and hope for a good outcome. My next consideration after reading around was to buy a Trek FX2 disc or maybe a FX3 disc and then add on the accessories I want(fenders, racks, ect). Then I saw the Giant Escape 2 City Disc and it pretty much has most of what I think I want on a bike out of the box but I can't find a spec for how much weight it can carry and I'm not sure if the components are good quality. . I would really appreciate some input and advice on this or recommendations of alternative bikes similar to those I've already listed that will hold up to someone my size.

I have been losing about 10 pounds a month and the bike will be used to get to a gym that is 2.5 miles from my home as well as to work and to other local trips(within 5 miles). I don't have a car and bus service is horrible where I live so I'd need to take two buses and buy a transfer to get to the gym which would cost me about 7 bucks round trip and take over an hour each way while I could ride to the gym on a bike in about 20 minutes. I work a 25 minute walk from my home. The weight loss was initiated by my job working in a major shipping facility handling packages 4 to 6 hours a night(lifting 70 to 150 pound packages) and as a result I've changed my diet to a much healthier one and still improving it as I go. It will be another month or two before I could afford the bike purchase so I might be 280 or less by the time I actually pull the trigger. I figure with the bike and being able to join a gym things would speed up slightly in the general fitness department.

Sorry, I would have posted a direct link to the Giant Escape 2 City Disc(2018) but I don't have a sufficient post count yet to do so.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Fiend606; 10-13-17 at 11:29 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-13-17, 01:44 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a great bike at a great price. I ride an Escape 2 with rim brakes to which I have added fenders and a rear rack. I love my bike. When I bought this bike I was 315 lbs and I was breaking spokes on the rear wheel. My LBS changed the wheel for one with 36 spokes and I haven't had any problems since. I also changed the saddle for one much more comfortable (an ISM noseless, touring model)

Take on for a test ride before you settle on anything else
Old 10-13-17, 09:51 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I had no idea what bike that was, but I had a look at it and yeah, it does look quite decent for that money. In fact I was expecting it to cost more. I guess the components are lower grade (I don't recognize the names), but that doesn't have to be a problem if they work. If you're looking for just a transportation/commuting bike it looks like a good one. I especially like that that bike supports wider 32C tires as compared to most road bikes. That's a very good thing for any rider, but especially a clyde.

Btw, I started out at 380lbs in 2009, got down as low as 245 but spent a lot of time at 260-280. Didn't ride for a couple years and crept back a little over 300 again, which just pissed me off. I'm back into the 280s now since I've been riding again these last couple of months. It's hard to keep off, and it's been hard for me to get back down lower than the 260s, but if anything will do it (obviously eating healthy will help) then cycling will.

I'd say at that price, unless you find something obviously better then go for it. You won't be out that much money if you end up not liking it, or when you eventually decide you want a more conventional road-specific bike.
Old 10-14-17, 09:26 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
You could ask the LBS if Giant has an official limit, but most of the time it is at least 300# overall (inc. bike, luggage, rider). But those are more lawyer than actual engineering limits. and since you are on a down trajectory with weight, I wouldn't worry.

Larger tires will be your friend. At your weight you need to pressurize any tire more, and for 32 mm tires that may become uncomfortable. Look at the Giant Toughroad, that comes with 50 mm tires or find out what tire size the Escape can take, it may fit 38 mm or more.

Bikes are also designed to withstand occasional jumps, curb-hopping etc. If you don't do that, you should be fine.
The weakest part are the wheels. Worst case you break some spokes. When you get the bike either yourself or ask the LBS to make sure it is very true and equally tensioned. Any rider no matter weight should do that.

Here the link to the bike since you are not permitted yet.

One advice to anyone, but especially clydes and/or fast riders is to upgrade front disc to 180 mm. This gives some nice front-bias (rear stays at 160 mm) and gives the brake some more cooling surface. Basically like cars and motorbikes have strong front brakes. Kinetic energy (all that energy becomes heat when breaking) increases linear with mass, and to the square with speed. so for a road bike even with skinny riders, it is even more important. But even if a clyde typically doesn't race fast, one could ride downhill long descents fast.
But this is a beef I have with almost all bikes. I recently upgraded my front from 160 to 180 mm and it is amazing (i weight 180# and don't race, so for a heavier and/or faster rider the difference will matter even more).
Edit: if you just go around town a bit at moderate speeds, that brake issue may not matter.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 10-14-17 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 12:20 AM
SethAZ 

HerrKaLeun, is your name from the German naval rank, the kapitänleutnant?

"Jawohl, herr Kaleu!"

Btw, while watching Das Boot in German the first time it took me forever to figure out what the crew were calling the skipper.

eta: oh, probably a 1337 spelling of "herculean"
Old 10-15-17, 01:33 AM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Giant Toughroad is getting out of my budget range, especially with having to buy and add on the things I want on the bike...fenders, kick stand, rack, basket/bags. Plus I'll need a helmet, gloves, good lock and a head light and a rear safety light. I live in high traffic area during the day and I will be riding to work at night 10 PM and 2:30am depending on shifts on a state road. I can certainly see the wisdom in the bigger tires though and I do live in PA and our roads are really bad plus I live next to a quarry so there is a lot of truck traffic and gravel on the road and shoulders. I guess I'll have to think on it more. Going up anymore in price and still having to buy the extras I want after market pushes me more towards brands like Trek that I've at least heard of before and there are at least 4 Trek stores within very reasonable driving distance to me.

The Giant Escape 2 City disc is available in what should be my size(Large according to the website) from a bike shop in Philadelphia. I really hate going to Philly but would for this if its still available when I have the money. I'm still very much on the fence. I would prefer to do as little after market upgrades as possible.

Last edited by Fiend606; 10-15-17 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-15-17, 05:32 AM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on your awesome weight loss!

Just so you're not surprised, Philadelphia has an additional 2% sales tax on top of the state tax. That bike shop has good reviews on Google, but it's one shop I've never visited. It's located near the Schuylkill River Trail, for a great test ride or for a first new-bike ride. Many shops offer discounts for accessories with the purchase of a new bike. Also, many places offer free first tune up. Both will save you some money.

I see Giant has a payment plan option at 10% interest, which would be approximately 6.00 in interest per month. You could probably save that money from somewhere during the month. You'd be able to get into something that can bring you a lot of joy and health sooner than later.

Roberta
Old 10-15-17, 07:07 AM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RECfromPA
Congratulations on your awesome weight loss!

Just so you're not surprised, Philadelphia has an additional 2% sales tax on top of the state tax. That bike shop has good reviews on Google, but it's one shop I've never visited. It's located near the Schuylkill River Trail, for a great test ride or for a first new-bike ride. Many shops offer discounts for accessories with the purchase of a new bike. Also, many places offer free first tune up. Both will save you some money.

I see Giant has a payment plan option at 10% interest, which would be approximately 6.00 in interest per month. You could probably save that money from somewhere during the month. You'd be able to get into something that can bring you a lot of joy and health sooner than later.

Roberta
Thanks for the info. I really hadn't considered the tax so its going to be more like 630 for the bike in philly if they do MSRP. Its a shame the bike can't be ordered online or isn't more widely available. I really do not like going into Philly or doing business there. I will in this case if I can't find something that appeals to me as much as this particular bike. I also like the Toughroad SLR 2 that HerrKaLeun mentioned and the larger tires are really growing on me but the price increase is a bit much for me and I'm not sure I could put fenders on that bike plus I'm not all that enamored with the color(Red on black) it comes in(although I can get past the color for the proper function and utility of the bike for my needs).
Old 10-15-17, 07:34 AM
RECfromPA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fiend606
Thanks for the info. I really hadn't considered the tax so its going to be more like 630 for the bike in philly if they do MSRP. Its a shame the bike can't be ordered online or isn't more widely available. I really do not like going into Philly or doing business there. I will in this case if I can't find something that appeals to me as much as this particular bike. I also like the Toughroad SLR 2 that HerrKaLeun mentioned and the larger tires are really growing on me but the price increase is a bit much for me and I'm not sure I could put fenders on that bike plus I'm not all that enamored with the color(Red on black) it comes in(although I can get past the color for the proper function and utility of the bike for my needs).
Yes, the Philadlelphia tax portion can add another $12. That shop is about a mile from downtown, so parking can be tough, but not impossible or expensive. For the tire swap, speak with the shop. With my new bike, the shop switched out the stem at no cost, gave me credit for the tires I swapped (I swapped 32 for 38’s), gave a discount on the tires I wanted, and a first tune up free. Get all the numbers together before you go.

Your pick looks like a really nice bike. When I was considering bikes, I was most impressed with the Giant bikes I’d tested (and I tested lots of brands). The ONLY reason I didn’t buy Giant was that I wanted steel. Other than that, I’d be a Giant owner today.
Old 10-15-17, 07:37 AM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ

Btw, I started out at 380lbs in 2009, got down as low as 245 but spent a lot of time at 260-280. Didn't ride for a couple years and crept back a little over 300 again, which just pissed me off. I'm back into the 280s now since I've been riding again these last couple of months. It's hard to keep off, and it's been hard for me to get back down lower than the 260s, but if anything will do it (obviously eating healthy will help) then cycling will.
Because of the constant and relatively heavy lifting at my job I went with a high protein diet to help me recover. .75 to 1 gram of protein per pound of what my optimal body weight should be and eating 3 to 5 servings of vegetables a day(a serving is 1 cup), 2 servings of those are dark leafy greens(Kale, Collards, Spinach, bok choy ,ect), 1 serving of fresh chopped greens is 2 cups or 1 cup cooked. I'm aiming for about 200 grams of protein a day eating lean meat,fish(tuna/salmon), eggs(hard boiled), yogurt and protein supplement. Once I get into a gym and on an established strength training routine/program I'll try to up that to about 230 grams of protein a day. I also eat some whole grains( Oats, quinoa, amaranth, chia, hemp hearts) and beans/legumes(1 cup cooked a day) to round things out. I'm trying to eat nutrient dense foods and avoiding processed/packaged food(eating "clean") but use the 85/15 rule which is staying to the healthy stuff 85% of the time and allowing me to eat things I really like(in moderation) 15% of the time(which means about every 3 days I let myself have something I really like in moderate portions). I was amazed at how much the high protein diet filled the bottomless pit I was trying to fill with junk food and take out. I feel full all the time. I'm losing weight at a healthy pace(less than 3 pounds a week), putting on lean muscle at the same time and I almost have to force myself to eat by my last meal of the day. I expect in another month or two I'll have to watch calories more in addition to my macros(protein, fat and carbs) but so far so good.
Old 10-15-17, 10:58 AM
HerrKaLeun

The Giant Toughroad is getting out of my budget range, especially with having to buy and add on the things I want on the bike...fenders, kick stand, rack, basket/bags. Plus I'll need a helmet, gloves, good lock and a head light and a rear safety light. I live in high traffic area during the day and I will be riding to work at night 10 PM and 2:30am depending on shifts on a state road. I can certainly see the wisdom in the bigger tires though and I do live in PA and our roads are really bad plus I live next to a quarry so there is a lot of truck traffic and gravel on the road and shoulders. I guess I'll have to think on it more. Going up anymore in price and still having to buy the extras I want after market pushes me more towards brands like Trek that I've at least heard of before and there are at least 4 Trek stores within very reasonable driving distance to me.

The Giant Escape 2 City disc is available in what should be my size(Large according to the website) from a bike shop in Philadelphia. I really hate going to Philly but would for this if its still available when I have the money. I'm still very much on the fence. I would prefer to do as little after market upgrades as possible.
I wouldn't dismiss Giant because Trek has more name recognition. Giant makes many of the frames for Trek... and the rest of the components are just purchased from suppliers (a Shimano XT is the same on a Trek or a Schwinn or a Giant). If you are comfortable putting a bike together (is easy) and know sizing, you also can look at bikesdirect or other online vendors. typically cheaper and no tax in most cases. I recently bought a $1,100 fatbike on Bikesdirect and I'm impressed with the quality, especially since it was half of what an LBS bike would have been. A lot of the money you pay in a bike goes to the LBS to have that fancy store, sales people etc.

But I agree, the Escape is a very good value as it comes with the fenders and rack you want. it is the cheapest to buy the bile as close to what you want since any upgrade parts are more expensive than the manufacturer can get them.

For any bike, especially with your road conditions, make sure you get patch kit, spare tube and know how to use it. Tubeless would be beneficial.
Old 10-15-17, 01:38 PM
SethAZ 

Don't let the roadies hear that you want a kickstand on your bike. Honestly for the uses you've described, and given that it already has things like a rear rack, the kickstand, fenders, wide tires already, it seems like that Giant Escape 2 City Disc is a good choice for you.

Last edited by SethAZ; 10-15-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 01:47 PM
SethAZ 

You can always pay more for a bike. Once you start looking a step up from whatever you're currently considering, it's guaranteed that there's something there. Then there's something a step up from that, and a step up from that, etc. The sky's the limit.

So at some point you gotta draw a line somewhere and just say this is it, and stick to it.

I'd like to mention that when I was first losing my weight (I still have a lot to lose, but I lost way over 100 lbs in my initial effort, and am still 90+ lbs down from where I peaked 8 years later) I picked up a Diamondback mountain bike for around $500 or $600. Was it the world's greatest bike? No, of course not. But it was actually not a bad bike at all, and I rode the living crap out of it. Seriously, I've nearly worn that bike out now, as in I've already replaced major components on it due to wearing them out, and it currently needs more work to be back in service again. I got my money's worth from that $600, and then some. It's got thousands of miles on it, both road and mountain trail miles.

The point is, that Giant you posted on originally looks like a pretty decent bike for your stated purposes, and within your stated budget. If you buy it, and ride the hell out of it, and lose a ton of weight doing that, then as your progress through this A) you'll definitely get your money's worth out of it, and B) if you decide you really like cycling and want to go deeper into it with faster road rides, group rides with other cyclists, and so forth, you'll be in better shape, able to consider other styles and price ranges of bikes, healthier, and presumably you can start saving up for something else. May as well get started with something that solves the requirements you have now, and buy yourself time to think of solutions to the requirements that you never knew you had in the future, as you know more about what you want to do, are capable of doing, etc.

I'd say just make a choice and go for it, and get riding.
Old 10-15-17, 02:29 PM
HerrKaLeun

You can always pay more for a bike. Once you start looking a step up from whatever you're currently considering, it's guaranteed that there's something there. Then there's something a step up from that, and a step up from that, etc. The sky's the limit.

So at some point you gotta draw a line somewhere and just say this is it, and stick to it.

I'd like to mention that when I was first losing my weight (I still have a lot to lose, but I lost way over 100 lbs in my initial effort, and am still 90+ lbs down from where I peaked 8 years later) I picked up a Diamondback mountain bike for around $500 or $600. Was it the world's greatest bike? No, of course not. But it was actually not a bad bike at all, and I rode the living crap out of it. Seriously, I've nearly worn that bike out now, as in I've already replaced major components on it due to wearing them out, and it currently needs more work to be back in service again. I got my money's worth from that $600, and then some. It's got thousands of miles on it, both road and mountain trail miles.

The point is, that Giant you posted on originally looks like a pretty decent bike for your stated purposes, and within your stated budget. If you buy it, and ride the hell out of it, and lose a ton of weight doing that, then as your progress through this A) you'll definitely get your money's worth out of it, and B) if you decide you really like cycling and want to go deeper into it with faster road rides, group rides with other cyclists, and so forth, you'll be in better shape, able to consider other styles and price ranges of bikes, healthier, and presumably you can start saving up for something else. May as well get started with something that solves the requirements you have now, and buy yourself time to think of solutions to the requirements that you never knew you had in the future, as you know more about what you want to do, are capable of doing, etc.

I'd say just make a choice and go for it, and get riding.
+1000

Once you get some riding experience you either stick with this bike, or upgrade. But with the riding experience you will have a much better idea on what you want in a "better" bike. Maybe more road, maybe more mountain. Catch 22: you need to ride before knowing what you want in a bike, but you need a bike to ride.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 10-15-17 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 02:42 PM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't let the roadies hear that you want a kickstand on your bike. Honestly for the uses you've described, and given that it already has things like a rear rack, the kickstand, fenders, wide tires already, it seems like that Giant Escape 2 City Disc is a good choice for you.
I also plan on putting two Mirrycle mirrors on it. I worked as a laborer and flagger for utility/road crews for over 4 years. I have a healthy respect for how terrible and stupid people drive so I want to at least have half a chance of seeing them coming. I think I'm decided on a Niterider Sentinel 150 Tail Light which can be used during the day....not sure on the headlight yet as I expect to only be riding at night the ~1 mile to work so I'm looking at a compromise between being slightly more than legal but safe at a reasonable price point. Then at some point maybe getting a "Loud Bicycle Horn"(125db).
Old 10-15-17, 07:15 PM
HerrKaLeun

I also plan on putting two Mirrycle mirrors on it. I worked as a laborer and flagger for utility/road crews for over 4 years. I have a healthy respect for how terrible and stupid people drive so I want to at least have half a chance of seeing them coming. I think I'm decided on a Niterider Sentinel 150 Tail Light which can be used during the day....not sure on the headlight yet as I expect to only be riding at night the ~1 mile to work so I'm looking at a compromise between being slightly more than legal but safe at a reasonable price point. Then at some point maybe getting a "Loud Bicycle Horn"(125db).
good choice on the taillight, that gets you seen. I also recommend running day running lights in front. but in front you can use one of the cheaper flashlights with an 18650 battery and buy a light holder. Make sure to get oen with micro USB charging. Even if you don't plan to ride at night, at some point you will be surprised by sunset.... or rain
Old 10-15-17, 08:32 PM
SethAZ 

I had a mirror attached to the left grip on my mountain bike that came in way handy while riding around on the road, for exactly the reasons you stated. I don't have any kind of mirror on my road bike right now, but I'm thinking of getting one of those ones that attaches to the helmet, because it would definitely come in handy. I really hate the traffic on some of the roads I ride, and how I'm just trusting that they aren't drifting over into the bike/breakdown lane as they come up behind me. I don't think I'll attach a mirror to my road bike itself, but if the helmet solution works out, that'll cover it.
Old 10-15-17, 08:37 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
good choice on the taillight, that gets you seen. I also recommend running day running lights in front. but in front you can use one of the cheaper flashlights with an 18650 battery and buy a light holder. Make sure to get oen with micro USB charging. Even if you don't plan to ride at night, at some point you will be surprised by sunset.... or rain
Agreed. I picked up this light for my road bike, and I run it whether it's day or night. It has a blinking mode that I use during the day, just to get peoples' attention. I think it works.

Also, to the OP: don't just go barely legal on the night light. Seeing better at night is way, way better than seeing worse. With the light above I'll run it at max power for shorter rides (it only lasts like two hours or less on max power) just because I like seeing stuff on the road way before I get to it. There's nothing like running over a rock, bottle, or other obstacle at night because you didn't see it in time to avoid it. A good light let's you see these things way in advance, and a crappy light lets you see them just in time to cringe as you hit them. I've ridden a lot at night, by the way. I don't shy away from it, and a good light helps me do that with confidence.

I've got a reasonable tail light but I won't link to it because I'm not entirely satisfied with it for various reasons. It is quite bright, though, and has a blinking mode that I think attracts attention.
Old 10-16-17, 11:31 AM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sent an inquiry about the weight limit for Escape to Giant about 8 hours after I started this thread and I just got a reply:

Hi Fiend606,

Our city bikes fall under what we call Condition 2 riding, or general purpose riding. This means bikes designed for riding on pavement, smooth gravel, and improved trails with moderate grades where the tires do not lose ground contact. Under these conditions the Escape has a maximum weight limit of 300 lbs., including rider and luggage. I’m attaching a link to the owner’s manual, where you will find weight limits and details on pages 28-31. Keep in mind, it is never advisable to continue to load the bicycle to its maximum capacity.

I hope this answers your question and that you find yourself on the Escape 2 City in the near future!

Have a great day,

Patrick Arnestad | Consumer Support Specialist
I omitted the link he provided because I'm still too new to post links, sorry.
Old 10-16-17, 06:19 PM
SethAZ 

Sounds about perfect for you. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-18-18, 03:39 AM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still intending to get the Giant Escape 2 City Disc unless the bike shop can steer me in another direction. Some of the Specialized bikes interested me briefly since they come with 36 spoke rear wheels and 32 spoke front wheels but they would require adding on fenders,kick stand, rack(s). I saved up close to what I need but turns out my tax return should cover it so in about 3 weeks I'm going to hit the bike stores and pull the trigger. I did have the money earlier but was holding off due to weather and then life happened and I had to divert those funds elsewhere but I'm back on track again now. I'm down to 246 as far as weight goes so I think the bike is going to be a better fit for me now than when I originally posted. I'll probably be closer to 240 by then.
Old 02-23-18, 07:49 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I'm still intending to get the Giant Escape 2 City Disc unless the bike shop can steer me in another direction. Some of the Specialized bikes interested me briefly since they come with 36 spoke rear wheels and 32 spoke front wheels but they would require adding on fenders,kick stand, rack(s). I saved up close to what I need but turns out my tax return should cover it so in about 3 weeks I'm going to hit the bike stores and pull the trigger. I did have the money earlier but was holding off due to weather and then life happened and I had to divert those funds elsewhere but I'm back on track again now. I'm down to 246 as far as weight goes so I think the bike is going to be a better fit for me now than when I originally posted. I'll probably be closer to 240 by then.
You are getting down to a weight where the 32 spoke wheels might be OK. And if they are not, you might need to get yourself a 36 spoke back wheel. Or not. On the other hand, rack and fenders are not a huge expense, either. I would focus on which bike you like better, and which shop offers the best service. If it is a straight up draw, then pick the bike that is the nicest color. (sounds trivial, but you will enjoy riding a bike more if it makes you smile every time you look at it)

Last edited by MRT2; 02-23-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-23-18, 10:04 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The Giant Escape City, is a great buy for a commuter, and very functional. MHO
Old 02-23-18, 10:32 AM
RECfromPA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on your weight loss, your savings plan to self finance the bike, and keeping your eye towards your goals. Very impressive.

Be sure to get a GOOD heavy duty lock (yes, they can be expensive) to protect that investment. I will spend a lot on my lock and my saddle. I usually go more inexpensive on my other items, like saddlebags, bike pump, accessories. Be sure you're seen in the dark with a bike light. I bought an inexpensive one at Amazon.

To paraphrase MRT2, buy the bike that makes you smile the most!

Roberta
Old 02-23-18, 04:51 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Cygolite Hotshot taillight for about $30: https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hots...dp/B01IO12OLO/

Fake magicshine headlight for about $20: https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-HeadLi.../dp/B00IZ80L4O

I have a real magicshine and a sack full of fakes - the real one is better, is more water proof and lasts longer but the fakes are 25% of the price.

I'd suggest using them both every day, all day when riding for improved visibility. The more tail lights the better, especially at night. Putting one on the back of your helmet REALLY improves your visibility to drivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.