Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gear changes - to pedal or not to pedal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 03:54 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

That is the question.

On my Townie cruiser, the manual states that I should not be pedalling whilst using the twist-shift to change gears. However, on a different type of bike that I have it says I must pedal whilst changing gears.

Why is this the case and how are people supposed to know unless they actively seek out this information? Also, what potential issues might arise if you don't follow the rules?
Old 11-28-17, 04:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A Townie Cruiser is an electric bicycle isn't it?

On a non-electric road bicycle, for example, you won't shift gears if you don't pedal ... or at least not completely. You don't have to seek that information out, you'll know it the minute you try to shift.

Or are you comparing two electric bicycles?
Old 11-28-17, 04:54 AM
taz777

No, both regular non-electric bicycles - one is a cruiser, the other is a hybrid.
Old 11-28-17, 05:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
No, both regular non-electric bicycles - one is a cruiser, the other is a hybrid.
So what happens when you don't pedal and try to shift?
Old 11-28-17, 06:08 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Is one a hub gear and one not? With hub gears (at least, the ones that I'm familiar with) you don't pedal when changing gear. With derailleur you have to.
Old 11-28-17, 06:28 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Townie has an 8-speed IGH. Crosstrail has derailleur. That's why.
Old 11-28-17, 09:37 AM
taz777

Right, so it's dependant on the gear system used then. Took a bit of getting used to!
Old 11-28-17, 09:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
That is the question.

On my Townie cruiser, the manual states that I should not be pedalling whilst using the twist-shift to change gears. However, on a different type of bike that I have it says I must pedal whilst changing gears.

Why is this the case and how are people supposed to know unless they actively seek out this information? Also, what potential issues might arise if you don't follow the rules?
Even for a IGH, I find that a little odd. Are you supposed to coast every time you want to shift gears? That seems very inconvenient and kind of momentum killing. I can imagine slowly riding up a hill and really needing to downshift. Having to pause pedaling before shifting could lead you to slow too much to keep up speed and you have to stop.

I don't have a lot of experience with IGH but what limited amount I do have I don't recall having to coast to shift.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-28-17, 09:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There is the difference... derailleur, shift while turning the pedals without much force (use your momentum)

IGH , pause, I use a quick backpedal (hub without coaster brake, of course) while flicking the lever/turning the grip shifter.

allowing the mechs to work, without power input, for that brief moment..

Old 11-28-17, 11:50 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Even for a IGH, I find that a little odd. Are you supposed to coast every time you want to shift gears? That seems very inconvenient and kind of momentum killing. I can imagine slowly riding up a hill and really needing to downshift. Having to pause pedaling before shifting could lead you to slow too much to keep up speed and you have to stop.

I don't have a lot of experience with IGH but what limited amount I do have I don't recall having to coast to shift.
You're right, on my Nexus you can shift coasting or pedalling, even back pedalling. Just ease off on the pedals and it will shift fine.
Old 11-28-17, 11:53 AM
taz777

@cyccommite: indeed, you have to very briefly stop pedalling on the cruiser when changing gears. However, the gear shift is so quick and precise that you can do it very easily. Going uphill takes a bit of practice.

I don’t know what would happen if I didn’t stop peddling during the gear shift though. Potential damage or extra wear and tear, I imagine.
Old 11-28-17, 03:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Standard transmission, in a car or truck you use the clutch, when changing the gear , a pause is not that big a deal ..
Old 11-28-17, 03:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I used a SRAM 3x7 for years, finally retiring it because I didn't need all the gears it produced. I could pedal lightly while shifting either the derailleur or the IGH. That's the way I think most users shifted: turning the pedals but no power being applied. A derailleur, of course, wont shift if you're not moving the chain.
Old 11-28-17, 03:42 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Even for a IGH, I find that a little odd. Are you supposed to coast every time you want to shift gears?
No, but you should ease off the pressure on the pedals to shift an IGH. You don't need to fully coast, otherwise an internally geared 3-speed fixed gear hub would be impossible to shift. These have a small amount of "lash" built into the mechanism to allow the shift to occur when pressure is taken off the pedals.
Old 11-28-17, 03:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
@cycthe gear shift is so quick and precise that you can do it very easily. Going uphill takes a bit of practice.
One of the "tricks" you can do with a Sturmey-Archer AW 3-speed hub is to shift the trigger in advance of when you want the gear to shift. By keeping pressure on the pedals you can delay the shift until you ease up, then the shift happens instantly.
Old 11-28-17, 04:08 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts

The thing about IGHs is that forward pedaling isn't a fundamental part of the shift operation, and drivetrain tension can still disrupt certain mechanisms from doing their thing, so the general safe bet is to micro-pause pedal force for the shift.

What exactly happens when you shift under tension within an IGH really depends... the exact mechanism of the shift can differ between gears within a given hub. Sometimes they won't start, or won't complete, a shift until the pedal force gets low enough.
(The middle-of-the-range shift on a Rohloff Speedhub is a very interesting example of this. The hub is essentially a 7-speed hub, used over two ranges via a 2-speed gear reducer of sorts. The shift in the middle of the range is thus an absolutely huge double-shift, both engaging or disengaging the reducer and sweeping all the way across the whole range of the 7-speed mechanism. For safety, Rohloff engineered the hub to always execute the upshift before the downshift, and it won't execute the downshift until you back off your pedaling force... so, if you try to pedal hard during that particular shift, you'll find yourself in the hub's highest ratio until you back off.)

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
One of the "tricks" you can do with a Sturmey-Archer AW 3-speed hub is to shift the trigger in advance of when you want the gear to shift. By keeping pressure on the pedals you can delay the shift until you ease up, then the shift happens instantly.
Awesome.

But, not quite as awesome as having a derailleur drivetrain on a downtube-shifted bike ghost-shift to a higher gear right when you need it in a sprint. Everyone thinks you'll have to sit back down to upshift, and then BAM, you just controlled the rear mech telepathically. Or maybe it was frame flex, but who cares?
Old 11-28-17, 04:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

FWIW the new production has eliminated the old UK AW3 quirk that not quite engaging 3rd, could have your pedal disengaged.
Old 11-28-17, 04:54 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
As noted by several ^^, a momentary (small fraction of a second) reduction in pedal pressure synchronized with the shift, while still pedaling, works fine. (My experience: S-A 3-speed, Shimano Nexus 7- and 8-speeds, and Alfine 11)
Steve
Old 11-28-17, 06:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I have a couple of old S-A AW's, and what I've found is that you quickly develop a sense of how to shift it. It becomes something that you don't even notice, like shifting a manual transmission car.
Old 11-28-17, 06:47 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Standard transmission, in a car or truck you use the clutch, when changing the gear , a pause is not that big a deal ..
I owned a small fleet of delivery trucks for over 25 years and only used the clutch when starting from a dead stop
Old 11-28-17, 09:22 PM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Pedal like a banshee!
Old 11-29-17, 07:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I owned a small fleet of delivery trucks for over 25 years and only used the clutch when starting from a dead stop
"whoop'' r So? Was at the helm of an ICBM Nuke Sub before I got my DL on land..

My Saab 96 had a freewheel bearing in it.. also , only clutched from dead stop . coasted down hills at an idle , still in 4th..

Bike forum... left my derailleur bikes friction shifting and stopped being pushed my the industry & marketing at 7 speeds.

now prefer IGH .... never ride the C&V race bike.. though its pretty.

yadda yadda..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-29-17 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 08:28 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No, but you should ease off the pressure on the pedals to shift an IGH.
You essentially do the same thing with derailer bikes, especially old friction systems. Shimano, bless their evil little corporate hearts, have done a lot to reduce the need for the pedaling lag with all the ramps built into the system now but I remember many a hill climb that was interrupted because you couldn't downshift back in the bad old days.

taz777's post seems to suggest that the delay in IGH is more active and more noticeable than derailer systems.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-29-17, 08:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

we planned ahead.. get in the granny before you need it ..
Old 11-29-17, 08:55 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
we planned ahead.. get in the granny before you need it ..
If you rode mountain bikes you tried to plan ahead. It didn't always work out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.