Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike for my 6'4" 240lb brother and I?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 09:13 PM
justinkase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My brother is a big guy but he's actually down to 240lbs from 300lbs. I've been wanting to get into cycling for a while now and I talked him into it back then but he was just too big. Now he and I are consistently losing weight and keeping it off on the keto diet and no exercise, so I think it's a good time to get into this. I want to get him a bike for Christmas but the thing is I'm still a bit lost when it comes to bikes and sizing, not to mention the issues concerning his weight. We will just be riding paved/dirt trails in local parks, nothing major. I'm thinking a hybrid bike would be best for this. I will be honest, I want to keep it under $200 because I'm not certain he will actually stick with it. However, I doubt that's enough for any bike worth buying that will support his weight. So lets say my budget is $400 or less. He can get a nicer bike later if he sticks with it and loses more weight, same with me. I'm also looking for a bike for myself with about the same budget if you have any recommendations.

He is 6'4", 240lbs with a 33.5" inseam measurement. I'm 6', 180lbs with a 33" inseam measurement. Thanks.
Old 11-29-17, 09:19 PM
bikecopp

Bikes: Rivendell Hunqapillar

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Where are u located? I would look on craigslist for an older tall road bike. Cromoly steel. 36 hole rims.
Old 11-29-17, 11:05 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard to find a used mountain bike within that budge that would be very nice for riding the dirt trails in the parks. Probably a size L or XL would be good.

When you say "for my brother and I" are you meaning to share the same bike? Or buy two bikes so you can ride together? Because a Large would probably do you fine, but at 6'4" you'd have to get your brother to see if he was comfortable on it. Plus you probably wouldn't both have the optimal saddle height.

A decent hybrid would work too.
Old 11-30-17, 02:07 AM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecopp
Where are u located? I would look on craigslist for an older tall road bike. Cromoly steel. 36 hole rims.
Houston, TX. I will look on CL for bikes with the features you suggested.

Originally Posted by SethAZ
It shouldn't be too hard to find a used mountain bike within that budge that would be very nice for riding the dirt trails in the parks. Probably a size L or XL would be good.

When you say "for my brother and I" are you meaning to share the same bike? Or buy two bikes so you can ride together? Because a Large would probably do you fine, but at 6'4" you'd have to get your brother to see if he was comfortable on it. Plus you probably wouldn't both have the optimal saddle height.

A decent hybrid would work too.
Not sharing, each with our own bike. I really see this as a temporary bike for me just to see if we stick with it. We actually did look as some Walmart bikes just to gauge size but they really only list wheel size. We sat on a Mongoose Excursion with 29" wheels. My brother could stand and have no weight on the seat with it adjusted all the way down. I could barely stand flat-footed but most of my weight was still on the seat. Supposedly that bike has a 19 inch frame with a 31 inch stand over. It honestly seemed large to me but I could reach everything and that is exactly the size recommended for me according to the sizing guides. Perhaps I was just riding bikes too small for me before.

Last edited by justinkase; 11-30-17 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 08:07 AM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by justinkase
My brother is a big guy but he's actually down to 240lbs from 300lbs. I've been wanting to get into cycling for a while now and I talked him into it back then but he was just too big. Now he and I are consistently losing weight and keeping it off on the keto diet and no exercise, so I think it's a good time to get into this. I want to get him a bike for Christmas but the thing is I'm still a bit lost when it comes to bikes and sizing, not to mention the issues concerning his weight. We will just be riding paved/dirt trails in local parks, nothing major. I'm thinking a hybrid bike would be best for this. I will be honest, I want to keep it under $200 because I'm not certain he will actually stick with it. However, I doubt that's enough for any bike worth buying that will support his weight. So lets say my budget is $400 or less. He can get a nicer bike later if he sticks with it and loses more weight, same with me. I'm also looking for a bike for myself with about the same budget if you have any recommendations.

He is 6'4", 240lbs with a 33.5" inseam measurement. I'm 6', 180lbs with a 33" inseam measurement. Thanks.
Consider the Giant escape 3. Price is $ 370 Plus tax
Old 11-30-17, 11:55 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
For your brother, any new alloy bike in the largest frame size--e.g., 61cm or XL; and, older steel bike (if really old it'll be size 25-1/2") is where I'd begin my search... You'll probably be looking at a 59cm or an old 25" bike...
Old 11-30-17, 12:24 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy a bike from Walmart.

I hope you not only find a pair of bikes you guys like riding, but also stick with it!
Old 11-30-17, 01:34 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
A solid bike that'll handle 250lbs and mild trail duty plus around-town stuff? I'd think any of the decent chromoly mountain bikes from the late 1980's to late 1990's would do fine. Ought to be able to find decent ones for sub-$200. They'd be with older components, sure, but many were top-notch back in the day and could still be very servicable, quality bikes.

Here's one, for example: Specialized RockHopper, XL frame, Boulder CO - $150 @ CraigsList. Though not in your immediate area, either a RockHopper or a StumpJumper in the '90's vintage ought to do very well for either of you, given your goals and price range.

A buddy of mine picked up a Trek 970 earlier in the year for $150. Needed nothing and rides very well. The deals are out there, if you're a little patient.

In the Houston area, here are a couple of bikes currently being advertised, with larger frames, that might suit ... though not chromoly '80s-90s vintage:

Specialized Expedition Hybrid, LG frame - $125 @ CraigsList

Trek Navigation 300, XL frame - $140 @ CraigsList

Trek 4300, 21in frame @ Lake Charles - $225 @ CraigsList
Old 11-30-17, 02:16 PM
Big Dave Crowe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

1. Your budgeted for the used/vintage bike market because a decent pair of tires, innertubes and labor will be 50(+) bucks.
To be honest, save up and raise your budget to 400. if you're serious about cycling regardless if you want to "try it out first"

Example. I recently bought a 1986 perfect nishiki colorado mountain bike with less than 100 miles for $40.00
Then came the parts and labor to bring it up to spec:

* New anti-thorn continental tires

* New tubes

* New tuffy liner

* New seat to my specs

* repack the headset, both hubs, bottom, bracket.

* replaced 1 shifter

* New cables all around

* New grips

* some truing

* New pedals

* thread locker on all major screws.

When all was done $301.00 for the bike. This price point puts me between a
P.O.S WALLY WORLD BIKE AND AN ELECTRA BEACH CRUISER.
This bike would laugh at your combined weight (if both you and your brother rode on it at the same time.)

2. BUY a used late 80's to 90's mountain bike from a local (or non local) bike shop. That way, you know that the bike is ast least sound:
* Make sure it's got 36 spoked wheels.
* MAKE sure the shifters are indexed.

Last edited by Big Dave Crowe; 11-30-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 02:29 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The biggest problem with CL purchases is having patience, especially when you need a less common frame size. At 6'2" I also ride XL (58-60cm) frames, but when I first started looking I ended up buying a 19" hybrid as it is the first thing I found for a price I knew I could resell it at. A few months later, and 3-4 bikes, I finally figured out what type of bike and size I wanted and now I am very selective with which bikes I buy.
Old 11-30-17, 07:48 PM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, lots of replies, thank you guys. I'm contacting some people on Craigslist, I'll let you know what I end up with.
Old 11-30-17, 10:30 PM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't post a link because I am too new, but there is a "Cannondale Lefty 29er" for sale on my local (Houston) Craigslist for $600. This is a more aggressive bike than I'm really looking for and more than I was looking to spend but am I correct that this is a steal? He seems to be claiming that it is the carbon version as well, unless I'm misunderstanding. I have no idea what year it is.

Last edited by justinkase; 11-30-17 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 11:15 PM
katsup

I can't post a link because I am too new, but there is a "Cannondale Lefty 29er" for sale on my local (Houston) Craigslist for $600. This is a more aggressive bike than I'm really looking for and more than I was looking to spend but am I correct that this is a steal? He seems to be claiming that it is the carbon version as well, unless I'm misunderstanding. I have no idea what year it is.
Here you go
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...407696332.html

You are new to cycling so I'd suggest meeting him at a shop and having them look it over before you hand over the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01010_9Ri0YcJSiPl_600x450.jpg (43.6 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by katsup; 11-30-17 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 11:18 PM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks katsup. We will see what happens. If I go for it I will try to convince him to meet at a shop. Any comment on the price?

EDIT: It seems it's a scam, no surprise there.

Last edited by justinkase; 12-01-17 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 11:21 PM
katsup

Thanks katsup. We will see what happens. If I go for it I will try to convince him to meet at a shop. Any comment on the price?
Sorry, I can't comment on the price as I don't really follow carbon fiber. I just know to be careful as it can have cracks.
Old 12-03-17, 06:19 PM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up buying a NOS Fuji Traverse 1.3 from Nashbar for $450 shipped for myself. It's 20.5 but I think I can make it work. Probably going to pick up an older Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc in XL for my brother for almost the same price. Thanks again for the input.
Old 12-04-17, 04:07 PM
katsup

Nice, post some photos once you get it.
Old 12-05-17, 03:44 AM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Nice, post some photos once you get it.
They all look the same. Judging by the message on their website, I think it might be a while before I get it. I really wish it had Shimano brakes rather than Tektro. For my brother I picked up a used '15 Specialized Crosstrail Comp XL for $425. It's 2x10 and all Deore while mine is 3x9 and a mix, we will see how it goes.
Old 12-13-17, 06:00 PM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I was refunded about $100 to buy new tires and tubes for my brothers bike. They had issues and the rear is flat. Any considerations I need to make for his weight? Hybrid tire recommendations? The stock tires were 700x38 Specialized Trigger Sports, I'm thinking of going for the 700x40 Clement Cycling X'PLOR MSO. We will be biking as soon as I get these tires in, trying to figure out putting together my Fuji bike.
Old 12-14-17, 03:51 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I ended up buying a NOS Fuji Traverse 1.3 from Nashbar for $450 shipped for myself. It's 20.5 but I think I can make it work. Probably going to pick up an older Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc in XL for my brother for almost the same price. Thanks again for the input.

I like Nashbar online.But one thing you do not get is fit and test ride etc. that A LBS would offer.
The 20.5 should fit you nice with
your long legs.I'm about 6'2 1/2 and long trunk and like about A 19",but I have A XL 21" hybrid that I also ride that I like.And nice of you buying your brother A bike.

But they have A great return policy.I bought quite A few bikes from Nashbar .
Returned A touring bike I never used with no problems.Tired to cancel order within 8 hours but they said it was to late,just return it when received.

I just bought A SE Tripel 3-Speed City Bike from Nashbar on sale.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 12-14-17 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-14-17, 10:22 AM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
I like Nashbar online.But one thing you do not get is fit and test ride etc. that A LBS would offer.
The 20.5 should fit you nice with
Yes, I knew it was a risk but it was at least $100 cheaper than the 19" model on sale at performance bike at the time. Since it's a hybrid with a more relaxed geometry I figured I would be fine. I would not buy a mountain or road bike without being fitted because I think fit is more critical on those. On this bike I could just drop the seat and be fine I think. Any tire recommendations for a big guy?
Old 12-14-17, 03:07 PM
katsup

Any tire recommendations for a big guy?
At 240lbs, just ride the tires it came with. Once they wear out, then considering replacing them.
Old 12-14-17, 04:19 PM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
At 240lbs, just ride the tires it came with. Once they wear out, then considering replacing them.
Thanks, I guess we could do that. That is, assuming that the rear tube will air up, it came flat. If I have to buy a tube I will probably buy a tire. The rear tire is a road tire and the front is hybrid.
Old 12-14-17, 04:25 PM
katsup

The tires are 700x38. You should be fine on them. I hate storing things like tires, so I try to use what I have until they need replacing.

If the rear tube actually has a puncture, tell Nashbar, I'm sure they'd make it right. Buy a spare tube once you start going far away and a cheap patch kit so you can repair your punctured tubes. I just use the cheap eBay China ones.
Old 12-14-17, 05:08 PM
justinkase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother's bike actually came from bicycle blue book used, they refunded me money because of the situation. The rear tire is a 35mm road tire, unlike the front which is stock. The front tire actually has some rubber coming off but perhaps it will be fine? IDK, I'm new to bikes. Links to pictures below.

https://imgur.com/a/C24tM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.