Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Do You Occupy Your Mind?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-02-18, 08:42 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

On your longer solo rides where there is little to no traffic? I know many of you listen to music. I do too at times. Sometimes I do my best thinking with silence. Because I type slowly with two fingers and have a distinct disconnect between my brain and my fingertips, it rarely shows in my writings here, but one of my few gifts in life is that I write with a certain literary bent.

I did a 40 mile ride down a remote MUP atop the Mississippi River Levee Sunday. I occupied my time by mentally penning poetic about the sights I saw along the way. The words I put together were powerful and passionate and filled with emotion. I keep telling myself as I write during my rides that one day I will share them with the forum. But I return from the rides and life gets in the way.

That's okay though. It's a mental exercise that keeps me from focusing on the pain that my age and failing joints relentlessly deliver. During my Sunday ride I wondered what my forum friends did for mental stimulation during rides when conditions allow their thoughts to drift. Tell me, if you will, what thoughts flow through your mind.
Old 05-02-18, 08:46 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I ride my bike. Thoughts drifting? Leads to crashing and such. Shifting, braking, dodging stuff, being aware of my surroundings is helpful too. Commuting as well as mt biking needs to be a focused task. At least for me.
Old 05-02-18, 09:27 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I've never even thought about a need to occupy myself. In the country or woods I enjoy nature, in the city I enjoy the city.

Old 05-02-18, 09:30 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I ride my bike. Thoughts drifting?
Yeesh. A professional wool gatherer are you?

Worst thing that happens to me is I fall into the cadence of whatever music is on, which tends to slow me down.
Old 05-02-18, 09:32 AM
desmodue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I ride my bike, roller skate, don't drive no car.
I don't go fast, but I go pretty far
Old 05-02-18, 09:41 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Yeesh. A professional wool gatherer are you?

Worst thing that happens to me is I fall into the cadence of whatever music is on, which tends to slow me down.
Wool gatherer? Not a clue. There is almost always traffic in New England. I don't need to think or do anything else while biking. It is it's own activity. YRMV.
Old 05-02-18, 09:46 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
podcasts. Adam Carolla
Old 05-02-18, 09:53 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Wool gatherer? Not a clue. There is almost always traffic in New England. I don't need to think or do anything else while biking. It is it's own activity. YRMV.
Huh. I can think and do all that stuff at the same time. Not uncommon for me to go for a mid or end of day ride specifically so I can think about a deep problem at work.

Definitely do not lose situational awareness while thinking, which seems to happen to you, hence you must be a really deep thinker aka "wool gatherer".

As you say, YRMV.
Old 05-02-18, 09:54 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the city, I watch women. Outside the city, I watch nature.
Old 05-02-18, 09:59 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
A lot of people need to have some kind of music or video device because their minds are empty
Old 05-02-18, 10:01 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Huh. I can think and do all that stuff at the same time. Not uncommon for me to go for a mid or end of day ride specifically so I can think about a deep problem at work.

Definitely do not lose situational awareness while thinking, which seems to happen to you, hence you must be a really deep thinker aka "wool gatherer".

As you say, YRMV.
That's part of what I was getting at. I do my best thinking at a certain point on the ride. From the time I find my rhythm up until I am nearing exhaustion, my mind is incredibly clear and uncluttered. It is then that I write, solve the worlds problems, solve my problems or delve into deep introspection.
Old 05-02-18, 10:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I strive for the opposite -- not to have my mind cluttered with chatter. A thought arises, I acknowledge it, I let it go.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-02-18, 10:13 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
When running I'll let my mind drift. In fact, some of the best thinking and self-contemplation time is during a run. But cycling, no. My mind doesn't wander. It's not a conscious thing that I do. I just do it because things are coming at me, behind me, from all directions, that I am at heightened attention when I'm riding. Doesn't matter if it's an empty road on Sunday morning or a super busy one a midweek afternoon commute. There's a time to let your thoughts wander. Riding a bike isn't one of those.

I suppose if I were on a MUP and puttering along at a nice leisurely speed I might occupy my mind with things other than safety. But I rarely ride like that.
Old 05-02-18, 10:18 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
On your longer solo rides where there is little to no traffic? I know many of you listen to music. I do too at times. Sometimes I do my best thinking with silence. Because I type slowly with two fingers and have a distinct disconnect between my brain and my fingertips, it rarely shows in my writings here, but one of my few gifts in life is that I write with a certain literary bent.

I did a 40 mile ride down a remote MUP atop the Mississippi River Levee Sunday. I occupied my time by mentally penning poetic about the sights I saw along the way. The words I put together were powerful and passionate and filled with emotion. I keep telling myself as I write during my rides that one day I will share them with the forum. But I return from the rides and life gets in the way.

That's okay though. It's a mental exercise that keeps me from focusing on the pain that my age and failing joints relentlessly deliver. During my Sunday ride I wondered what my forum friends did for mental stimulation during rides when conditions allow their thoughts to drift. Tell me, if you will, what thoughts flow through your mind.
First things first, if you are riding on the road with earphones in... Please stop, you're a menace on the road and a danger to road safety... So yeah... please don't do that anymore thanks if you do.

As to the rest of it, I talk to myself... thoughts come and go, in and out you listen to them, talk to yourself if needs be, and let it go. It's a mental excercise for me of gaining more clarity in my life and churning through good and bad thoughts so I don't hold onto things. Other than that, just focus on what needs to be done. Whether you're riding for training or otherwise though... stop to enjoy the scenery around you also... that's all part of it as well.
Old 05-02-18, 10:20 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I mentally compose my lectures or formulate ideas for experiments and grant proposals, or develop arguments for papers. Other times, I cogitate and nurse a grudge. Helps when climbing hills.
Old 05-02-18, 10:22 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I mentally compose my lectures or formulate ideas for experiments and grant proposals, or develop arguments for papers. Other times, I cogitate and nurse a grudge. Helps when climbing hills.
Yeah, sometimes the grudges come out also, this helps when you're punishing yourself up hill to get them out.
Old 05-02-18, 10:23 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by desmodue
I ride my bike, roller skate, don't drive no car.
I don't go fast, but I go pretty far
Old 05-02-18, 10:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Prayer.

My spirituality is monastic. Monks enjoy solitude and silence and long solo rides really appeal to me. They are great "lovers of the place" and I give thanks for the beautiful scenery, sun, air, my breath and beating heart, family waiting back home for me to arrive safely, etc.

I Pray that my mom is at peace and for peace in the world, that all might experience a little bit of the peace I feel when I ride my bike.

I sometimes pray the Our Father or Rosary or Psalm 95 audibly in rhythm to my breathing.

Sometimes I even pray for bikeforum members, that God grants you all a peaceful life and the gift of knowing him intimately.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-02-18 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-02-18, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
I do a good amount of solo touring, often in places with little traffic. I honestly don't have one specific thing or type of thing I think about. Sometimes I don't think at all. I just enjoy my surroundings. The cooling breeze and the noise if makes gusting through the grasses The buzzing of insects and the calls of birds. Did exactly that here a couple of years ago. Nothing man made other than the grading of the crude road. No vehicle noise. Not even airplanes overhead.

Old 05-02-18, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Not uncommon for me to go for a mid or end of day ride specifically so I can think about a deep problem at work.
I have also done that. For example, one Saturday morning a co-worker and I went on a leisurely (for me, anyway) ride on a wooded MUP. During the ride we hashed out a detailed outline of a legal brief we needed to file in response to a motion to dismiss. The issue involved was one of first impression for the particular court. Quite productive as we ended winning. I also do some of my best work in the shower.
Old 05-02-18, 11:10 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I have the voices in my head to keep me company.

Seriously, though, I never really thought about it, but aside from focusing on riding, I guess I just admire the countryside and tend to notice all the little things I tend to miss when focusing on the road when driving by at 65 MPH. I tend to notice nature a lot more. Sunday I did a half century and had a turkey fly across the road in front of me and halfway across the field. You normally don't think of turkeys as flying birds, but wild ones certainly do. Not very high, but they do fly. Then on the way back a flock of buzzards in the road in front of me feasting on some roadkill required me to ring my bell a few times to get their attention so they'd fly away before I ran into them. And of course one thing you really notice is the terrain, you notice hills a lot more when cycling than you do while driving.
Old 05-02-18, 11:12 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Prayer.

My spirituality is monastic. Monks enjoy solitude and silence and long solo rides really appeal to me. They are great "lovers of the place" and I give thanks for the beautiful scenery, sun, air, my breath and beating heart, family waiting back home for me to arrive safely, etc.

I Pray that my mom is at peace and for peace in the world, that all might experience a little bit of the peace I feel when I ride my bike.

I sometimes pray the Our Father or Rosary or Psalm 95 audibly in rhythm to my breathing.

Sometimes I even pray for bikeforum members, that God grants you all a peaceful life and the gift of knowing him intimately.

-Tim-
I like this Tim. My rides are very often spiritual journeys.
Old 05-02-18, 11:13 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I do a good amount of solo touring, often in places with little traffic. I honestly don't have one specific thing or type of thing I think about. Sometimes I don't think at all. I just enjoy my surroundings. The cooling breeze and the noise if makes gusting through the grasses The buzzing of insects and the calls of birds. Did exactly that here a couple of years ago. Nothing man made other than the grading of the crude road. No vehicle noise. Not even airplanes overhead.

Awesome. I'll bet you also process the smells on those rides too don't you?
Old 05-02-18, 11:16 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I have the voices in my head to keep me company.

Seriously, though, I never really thought about it, but aside from focusing on riding, I guess I just admire the countryside and tend to notice all the little things I tend to miss when focusing on the road when driving by at 65 MPH. I tend to notice nature a lot more. Sunday I did a half century and had a turkey fly across the road in front of me and halfway across the field. You normally don't think of turkeys as flying birds, but wild ones certainly do. Not very high, but they do fly. Then on the way back a flock of buzzards in the road in front of me feasting on some roadkill required me to ring my bell a few times to get their attention so they'd fly away before I ran into them. And of course one thing you really notice is the terrain, you notice hills a lot more when cycling than you do while driving.

You most assuredly notice your surroundings more on a bike than in a car. On the bike I feel a connection with all that surrounds me in a way that I can't in a cage.
Old 05-02-18, 11:37 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Awesome. I'll bet you also process the smells on those rides too don't you?
Absolutely, including those emanating from by pits. (There was no shower at my campsite the night before.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.