Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottle Cages... A zit on the Mona Lisa

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-23-18, 01:30 AM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts

Ok, So their purpose is necessary, but I have to say, I hate them with a burning passion. They almost never contribute to a C&V bike design. If I am not actively riding a C&V, they come off for display... I have aggressively tossed many a cheap POS into the trash when the bikes are purchased.... Maybe I have some undiagnosed OCD, but I think their utilitarian-only sensibilities suck from an aesthetic flow perspective. Am I the only one?
Old 08-23-18, 01:50 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Some are a big nasty, whitehead. Others are a little black head. Others look like they belong, particularly with a nice period water bottle.
Old 08-23-18, 02:44 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Well for those of us that actually ride our bikes significantly they are necessary. I also think they enhance the look of the bike myself.

Old 08-23-18, 04:01 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 926 Posts
I don't view them that way at all. I don't like the plastic or carbon cages. But I do like the silver/stainless "blackburn" style cages the best, followed by the "Iris" style cages. I think they provide a nice contrast on the frame- @jamesdak's frame is a great example of nice contrast.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-23-18, 04:47 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 397 Posts
I partially agree - many of the current cages look too weird for me. Fat tubing, odd colors, strange designs, big box store stuff. I'm fine with the traditional thin tuned TA style and have been able to find what em as needed - both steel and alumninum work fine. I also like the thin stainless steel cages, particularly the Ciussi Inox cages. I have 3 of those now and they complement the C&V bikes they are on.
Old 08-23-18, 06:34 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I'm fine with all non-plastic bottle cages. and most mounting systems, for bikes without enough brazeons.

Old 08-23-18, 06:34 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Vintage cages don't bother me. Like the Cussi Inox as well.

I'm guessing the OP is citing the current crop of plastic, sculptural cages. There's a time and place for everything.
Old 08-23-18, 07:41 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
The look with cages don't bother me as long as they are metal. I will admit to taking my water bottle off when taking a picture (usually to post here) on a ride. They stick out like a big sore thumb.
Old 08-23-18, 07:50 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Vintage cages don't bother me. Like the Cussi Inox as well.

I'm guessing the OP is citing the current crop of plastic, sculptural cages. There's a time and place for everything.
Yeah, probably. If that is so I agree.

I always thought the old TA cages added something. That's pretty much the only cage people used until Blackburn cages came out in the mid 80s. American Classic had a pretty nice cage around the same time. Though the early Blackburns were fine and looked good, within a short period of time the explosion of tasteless colored cages began.

Currently I like the Nitto cages and King cages, and there's a few other nice choices. No reason to affix a zit you your bike.
Old 08-23-18, 07:50 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Love hate for me. Some don't have. Others needed if a rider. I aways use period (or period look) cages and bottles.

Like a pump, some enhance certain bikes. And then there is the issue that the bike looks incomplete/missing with holes in the frame.
Old 08-23-18, 08:04 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts

1976 Kabuki diamond Formula
I only have one bike with braze on fittings for the cage. That is this one . I don't like them much but this one has been on there since I bought the bike new in 1976. The rest of my bikes I ride with a bottle in the back pocket of my jersey. I would consider a handlebar mount if it were period correct. Joe
Old 08-23-18, 08:10 AM
letenn 

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SR400(?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I like those handlebar cages with the aluminum bottles with corks. Other than those I don't like the look of cages, but use them out of necessity. I thought about using a Camelback, but don't want the weight on my back on long rides.
Old 08-23-18, 08:12 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 127 Posts
I really like the Nitto brazed water bottler cages, both Type R and Type T. I have a set of Type Ts on a dual Minora handlebar mount for my 1970s Nishiki Professional and they really look right and work well. Though I also agree on the Cuzzi Elite bottle cages, especially the vintage ones where the round medallion is metal and not the plastic of the modern version of this bottle cage, very light too.

As far as use, having once not drunk enough water on a upper 80s three hour ride with trip to the ER when the room started moving after my shower, its a water bottle an hour. And it's really true as you age you don't feel thirsty, you really don't. Was stunned at the ER to see I had lost 5lbs. So whether I feel thirsty or not, its a water bottle an hour.

Last edited by since6; 08-23-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 08:20 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by letenn
I like those handlebar cages with the aluminum bottles with corks. Other than those I don't like the look of cages, but use them out of necessity. I thought about using a Camelback, but don't want the weight on my back on long rides.
I wonder something. If people are using 50s aluminum bottles with corks, or for that matter modern stainless bottles, how do they drink? I guess they stop first? Can you get the cork off with one hand? I guess I don't need to anymore, but I strongly prefer to be able to drink while pedaling. There's a reason plastic squeezable water bottles took over immediately when they came out.

Frankly, the modern big mouth water bottles bug me more than the cages, for both aesthetics and function. For me, the water's going to be warm an hour into the ride no matter what, so I don't care about ice. If you want it cold sticking the bottle in the freezer works better. Also, with big mouth bottles you can never get the swig of water out without taking the top off.
Old 08-23-18, 08:21 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by letenn
I'm going to try a Camelback, as many of my bikes have zero or one braze-ons, and I'm not in to messing up the paint. Tried tri-style off the seatpost/saddle, wasn't fond of that look on the old bikes. So I've mostly been mostly a jersey-pocket carrier.

You mentioned the weight on long rides. Oddly enough, the first local fast guys (not the rec riders like me) I've seen adopt the Camelback style are the longest distance riders, including one that finished RAAM solo twice (top ten both times). He uses it now on every ride (except maybe crit style races).
Old 08-23-18, 09:03 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12

1976 Kabuki diamond Formula
I only have one bike with braze on fittings for the cage. That is this one . I don't like them much but this one has been on there since I bought the bike new in 1976. The rest of my bikes I ride with a bottle in the back pocket of my jersey. I would consider a handlebar mount if it were period correct. Joe
Joe! Dude! Where have you been hiding that gorgeous thing? I'd love to see it in person.
Old 08-23-18, 09:03 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Water bottles are so necessary that I don't worry much about it. The key is proper color coordination.

Old 08-23-18, 09:32 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Joe! Dude! Where have you been hiding that gorgeous thing? I'd love to see it in person.
Rich, Great to hear from you.I hope you're getting saddle time in.I have been riding a lot this year since I recovered. That bike is the one that I rode in 2016 at Eroica. The same bike that I rode with you and Matt on our pre Eroica ride. Thanks for the compliment on my Kabuki , it is more of a sentimental attachment to this bike than anything else. I went from a Schwinn Varsity to the Diamond Formula and I never looked back! I got it from a guy who had a bike shop in Oxnard that raced and built bikes in the seventies named Stan Johnson. We became pretty good friends and his frames are beautiful , if you ever happen on to one. Take care and hope to meet someday , Halfway? Joe
Old 08-23-18, 09:43 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I wonder something. If people are using 50s aluminum bottles with corks, or for that matter modern stainless bottles, how do they drink? I guess they stop first? Can you get the cork off with one hand? I guess I don't need to anymore, but I strongly prefer to be able to drink while pedaling. There's a reason plastic squeezable water bottles took over immediately when they came out.

Frankly, the modern big mouth water bottles bug me more than the cages, for both aesthetics and function. For me, the water's going to be warm an hour into the ride no matter what, so I don't care about ice. If you want it cold sticking the bottle in the freezer works better. Also, with big mouth bottles you can never get the swig of water out without taking the top off.
Modern Kleen Kanteens with the 'bike' cap can be sucked on (have a reed valve in the top). They absolutely leak when closed/on their side, though. Be warned.

Otherwise, same way I take off my jacket/gloves, etc. I usually prefer to stop, though.
Old 08-23-18, 09:58 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
Necessary evil for me. Especially on older frames that use clamps for everything. Best I found for use with clamps is the Zefal with a leather friction piece for the bottle.

For bikes with mount holes, Ciussi Inox are great. Have several in Stainless + 1 in fatter aluminum that still looks better than other aluminum ones. Don't like painted cages except for a couple white ones sold by Specialized that I put on my Expedition Touring. They look good with the white decals. Don
Old 08-23-18, 10:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
On a bike that has brazed on mounts specifically for water bottle cages, I don't see the problem. Obviously some cages are more attractive than others, but that's a separate issue.

On a frame that doesn't have those mounts, I tend to agree with OP --though even there, there are some attractive (or at least cool) vintage options.

Alternately, there are other ways to hydrate. Here's my Armstrong Moth as ridden last Saturday (95 miles, mildly hilly):

Closeup of the saddle:

The thing you see attached behind the saddle is a https://www.showerspass.com/products...dration-system. Disregard the cable lock. The hydration tube is strapped to the top tube and the brake cables, so I can drink while riding. It's a pretty cool system, though too complicated.
Old 08-23-18, 10:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Don't forget that frames with water bottle bosses either need to have cages installed, or something to cover up the holes, or they can let in rain or dust.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-23-18, 11:21 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

To much? Yeah, I know, pretty awful. It was a slow day, what can I say? I went to flea market and they had every color bottle, so I thought to myself, \"what if I"...💡😲
Old 08-23-18, 01:57 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Water bottles are so necessary that I don't worry much about it. The key is proper color coordination.

Looking at that picture, I think I may have misunderstood the meaning of "water".

Do you use a special diet to get that exact color?

Old 08-23-18, 02:28 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
Ok, So their purpose is necessary, but I have to say, I hate them with a burning passion. They almost never contribute to a C&V bike design. If I am not actively riding a C&V, they come off for display... I have aggressively tossed many a cheap POS into the trash when the bikes are purchased.... Maybe I have some undiagnosed OCD, but I think their utilitarian-only sensibilities suck from an aesthetic flow perspective. Am I the only one?
I'm the opposite. To me, the main triangle on diamond-frame bikes often looks like it's missing something without them, it becomes this big empty space. Cages are not "utilitarian-only." There's aesthetic sensibility to them if you're selecting them with aesthetics in mind.

Most bikes look best if the cages match a major secondary color, like the lettering on the frameset or the silver of the components. The best shape of the cage - especially the question of spindly metal versus fat modern polymer - can depend on the diameter of the tubing you're mounting the cage to, and sometimes the shape of the things it matches with; I've found instances where modern cages look very nice on old lugged frames, but it's not the norm, and old-school metal cages nearly always look awful on modern wide-tubing bikes.

Cages don't exist by themselves, they hold bottles. The cage frames the bottle, the bottle prevents the cage from looking dejected, and a the pair of cage and bottle complements the rest of the bicycle. Bottle selection (and beverage selection for clear bottles) is just as important and useful as cage selection.

Last edited by HTupolev; 08-23-18 at 02:33 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.