Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Escape 1 vs FX 3

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Escape 1 vs FX 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 06:18 PM
kymarkh

Bikes: Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Escape 1 vs FX 3

ood evening, just found the site and have been catching up on bike technology as I have been out of the game for about 10 or so years. There is a lot of great information on this site!

I currently ride a 1997 Trek 730 and it has reached the point where I need a new seat, brakes, tires, tubes and probably rims. It has been a good bike and has served me well as most of my riding is fitness riding on the roads around my neighborhood. A few times a year we take our bikes on vacation with us or on camping trips and do some light trail riding, but my usage is 80% roads. I've been looking at newer bikes and while cost is a factor, I've been saving for quite some time for this purchase and I keep my bikes a long, long time. I'm ready to treat myself to a new bike and subscribe to the "buy once cry once" school of thought.

I've narrowed things down to the following but am open to other choices as well:

* 2019 Trek FX3 disc

* 2019 Giant Escape 1 disc

Both bikes are a mix of Aluminum, Carbon and Shimano components and seemed very similar when I rode them. I'm not particularly married to either brand but there is a Trek shop close to me. My question is, are their any appreciable differences between these 2 bikes to make one any better than the other? When I bought my 730 years ago I just went to the shop, rode a few bikes, then picked one and rode home on it. This time I'm doing a bit more research.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-18, 08:01 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
The only real difference I see between the two is price and through axles for the wheels. If you are shopping for new or used wheels the through axle variants have much better availability and are the current spec for disc brake bikes.

I did a review of my escape 1 recently, the thread is just a little ways down the first page of this hybrid forum. Both bikes have similar drivetrains and overall weight. Overall I am happy with the Giant and actually preferred the color scheme better as well. I already own 2 black bikes and the red didn't interest me. Personal preference really.

You said there is a Trek shop close by, this might be convenient for you if you don't do your own repairs or upgrades.

Ride them both, and pick the one you think is best for you.
Old 09-24-18, 07:20 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
You said there is a Trek shop close by, this might be convenient for you if you don't do your own repairs or upgrades..
I don't see this as much of an issue, because once the bike is out of the warranty period the Trek shop should be more than happy to Handle repairs on a giant escape
Old 09-24-18, 07:33 PM
ckay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has an FX3 and it rides really well.
Old 09-24-18, 08:36 PM
streetlight

Bikes: 2019 Giant Escape 1 Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought a 2019 Escape 1 -- I made a few mods to get some upright-position possibilities (I have lumbar issues). I've only had the Escape 1 two weeks, but the main impression for me in three words: "Stability at speed." Unless I'm mistaken, its wheelbase is slightly longer than the Trek. The Giant has the internal cable routing, obviously. I'm not a huge fan of these Giant tires -- probably going to put some Schwalbe on it.
Old 09-25-18, 05:34 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really don’t see a bad choice here. Both are great bikes built by reputable companies. My wife and I both have Fx3’s and have approximately 2000 miles on them. We often comment on how much we like them. I would buy a Giant, but at the time we both liked the Trek so that’s what we bought. It really boils down to personal preference, fit, color, service (assuming you don’t work on it yourself), and price. Buy one of them and go ride!
Old 09-25-18, 08:14 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by coney462
I don't see this as much of an issue, because once the bike is out of the warranty period the Trek shop should be more than happy to Handle repairs on a giant escape
True, but building a relationship with your closest local shop is never a bad thing. Most shops will work on just about any bike.
Old 09-27-18, 08:21 PM
kymarkh

Bikes: Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate the input, still putting miles on my 730 while I look at newer bikes. Rode an FX 4 S tonight and it was extremely nice, and just for kicks I rode a drop bar road bike and while I liked the gearing it was not comfortable for me. I like the upright position much better.
Old 09-30-18, 09:39 PM
TrekFX3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up 2019 Trek DX3 Disc last week, I am really impressed with the ride, and the disc brakes work extremely well.