Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New to cycling need help on getting a new bike...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 10:03 PM
NortoDuneM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! So I searched thru the forums and I didn't see my specific question being answered.

I want to get a bike that will support 260+LBs at 5'10" frame. I'm getting a bike specifically for fitness reasons. I've been fast walking a lot recently and I want to change it up.

so from my cursory scouring of these forums most of what I'm seeing is that it looks like I need to spend above $300 to get something for my specific body weight?

can I get a decent bike for around the $150 ballpark?

(also I've seen people recommend fat bikes but others recommend against it)

which bikes would you all recommend? I'd rather not spend $300. All I'm seeing around here are bikes being recommended I'm the 1k+ range. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-19, 01:36 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If your budget is that low, you're better off looking on craigs list for a second hand bike. An old hard-tail mountain bike (with a non-shock fork) makes for a sturdy, great riding bike. A "fitness bike" like one of the Trek FX hybrids would also be great.

The problem with $150 bikes is that they suck, you'll hate them and you'll probably never ride it.
Old 03-14-19, 05:55 PM
NortoDuneM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If your budget is that low, you're better off looking on craigs list for a second hand bike. An old hard-tail mountain bike (with a non-shock fork) makes for a sturdy, great riding bike. A "fitness bike" like one of the Trek FX hybrids would also be great.

The problem with $150 bikes is that they suck, you'll hate them and you'll probably never ride it.

thanks for your response. Yeh I'm now seeing what you are saying. So what Trek FX bike should I be looking for for my size? I'm not going to be doing any mountain climbing pr rough riding just mainly riding on street and sidewalks... occasional grass terrain.
Old 03-14-19, 06:12 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If you look here:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

They put you in a Large, but they also say "consult our experts at your local bike shop" because your proportions may be different. The main differences between the lower end models appears to be drive train and wheels but it should hold up to your intended use just fine.

I'm not trying to push Trek by any means, there are other similar bikes at most other manufacturers, so if you want to buy a new one, finding a friendly bike shop and getting something there would override a specific brand.

These bikes are inexpensive enough that if you really get into riding, you can resell the bike for nearly what you paid and get something fancier.
Old 03-14-19, 08:04 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also check out the Giant escape line
Old 03-16-19, 03:32 PM
jc650

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock and Secteur and a Cannondale Synapse 5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would strongly consider a mountain bike unfortunately not a 150$ one. You don’t need to go off road to enjoy the advantages of a mountain bike. I have two road bikes and a mountain bike. The mountain bike is the most useful and even when I want to just ride around town I don’t worry about curbs or potholes or anything like that. If you don’t want the knobby tires of a mountain bike you can always buy the wider commuter tires And slap them on. Like someone else said buy yourself a decent one, meaning a non big box store bike. You’ll enjoy it and tend to ride it much more than a shoddy bike from a place like wal mart.
Old 03-17-19, 06:39 PM
NortoDuneM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jc650
I would strongly consider a mountain bike unfortunately not a 150$ one. You don’t need to go off road to enjoy the advantages of a mountain bike. I have two road bikes and a mountain bike. The mountain bike is the most useful and even when I want to just ride around town I don’t worry about curbs or potholes or anything like that. If you don’t want the knobby tires of a mountain bike you can always buy the wider commuter tires And slap them on. Like someone else said buy yourself a decent one, meaning a non big box store bike. You’ll enjoy it and tend to ride it much more than a shoddy bike from a place like wal mart.

thanks. Which mountain bike would you recommend for my size?
Old 03-17-19, 06:41 PM
NortoDuneM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coney462
Also check out the Giant escape line

bike shop guy recommends trek serves and or giant cypress for me. comfort hybrids. Should a giant escape be better?
Old 03-17-19, 08:35 PM
jc650

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock and Secteur and a Cannondale Synapse 5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NortoDuneM
thanks. Which mountain bike would you recommend for my size?
I’m 6’03 and I rode an XL Mtn bike frame or 21” frame. Probably a large for your size but any decent bike shop will fit you to the appropriate size.
Old 03-21-19, 08:03 AM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bike shop guy recommends trek serves and or giant cypress for me. comfort hybrids. Should a giant escape be better?
The main difference is that the Cypress is a comfort bike and the escape is a fitness bike. I think the escape is more versatile, but both are good choices. Neither will break the bank. I was lucky to find an escape 2 that was 1 year old for $200, in good condition with only some minor scratches on the frame. but that is a rare find on craigs list
Old 03-21-19, 08:11 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
I got back into biking last year, weighing around 330 (~5' 10") at the time honestly... (Down to 230 now, I must be doing something right...)

Anyways, I actually picked up a $25 Magna (mountain-style) off Craigslist at the time, knowing it was just a cheap beater. My reasoning was that it was a heavy steel frame, and I'd rather destroy a cheap 26" wheelset and replace with parts from other donor bikes while losing the weight. Honestly, it worked out fine though you definitely need to be ready to learn and tinker with things along the way to keep it running smooth. I also did need to replace the rear wheel along the way after an unplanned curb drop, but I did get over 800 miles on it last year.

I recently picked up a used Diamondback aluminum frame and put it back together with some better components. It's still very much a budget build but it definitely let me start to appreciate the upgraded parts.

Not saying it's a great strategy, but if you like to wrench on things it's a great learning experience.
Old 03-26-19, 02:58 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Hello! So I searched thru the forums and I didn't see my specific question being answered.

I want to get a bike that will support 260+LBs at 5'10" frame. I'm getting a bike specifically for fitness reasons. I've been fast walking a lot recently and I want to change it up.

so from my cursory scouring of these forums most of what I'm seeing is that it looks like I need to spend above $300 to get something for my specific body weight?

which bikes would you all recommend? I'd rather not spend $300. All I'm seeing around here are bikes being recommended I'm the 1k+ range. Thanks for your help.

I started riding again about 2 years ago. I started on a $100 WalMart special, figuring it'd be fine while I built up strength/endurance/etc. Even started a thread here about it, wondering how long it would last.

Within a week I wanted a better bike. Squeaking, touchy brakes, rough shifting, limited gearing, and HEAVY bike led to unpleasant rides. Went to a couple bike shops, and ended up spending $500-ish on a Trek FX-2. Way more than I wanted to spend. However, 2 years later I'm still happily riding it. It shifts well, it's fun, it's comfy (I did upgrade the saddle). I didn't ride much in 2018, for a variety of reasons, but I put 1,000 miles on it the first year, and am planning at least that this year. It's held up great. It's officially rated for 300 pounds, but I've been riding it at a variety of weights between 350 and 370 and it's held up. I did break some spokes on the original rear wheel after taking it over an unintentional hard drop and landing hard, but Trek replaced the wheel under warranty.

I like the Giants as well, so my advice would be to check out some local shops and find the size and style that fits you. Going back 8 or so years, I had a Giant Cypress, but for me the upright comfort bike positioning got old, as I wanted to go a bit faster .
Old 03-28-19, 09:17 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good for you taking charge over your health. Riding has been great for me (along with not eating like an idiot... which I'm prone to). I've dropped 55lbs since November and just bought a new bike now that I've developed some more specific cycling interests. I do think looking at CL is a good idea, especially if you are even a little handy. Then you can get something better at a discount. Then when you are ready you won't have to have the conversation I just had with my wife ("What's wrong with the $600 bike you JUST bought?" - a legit question... but... n+1...)

my biggest recommendation: RIDE what you buy BEFORE you buy it. Don't buy online (like I did for my first bike).

Last edited by cobalt123; 03-28-19 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 07:35 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
In your price range, I concur with the above recommendations to use Craigslist, as well as to look into older 26" bikes with rigid forks. In my earlier riding days, I used to buy (new) $350 hardtail mtn bikes, (Treks,Specialized, GT, etc.) with low end Shimano Alivio/Acera stuff, and they all held up and ran surprisingly well, even in comparison to the much higher-end bikes I later had.
Also, don;t get too focused on chasing down a specific brand or model, these are just general suggestions, not hard-fast recommendations. Besides, it's gonna be nearly impossible to find a specific older used bike, in decent shape, and your size, so don;t even bother.
In a given price range, name-brand bikes tend to be much the same, your main concern should be condition, and correct size. You want a bike that was bought new, barely ridden, and stored in the garage for a few years, then posted on Craigslist, cheap.
You don;t necessarily need to be an expert to tell if a bike has been used a lot, or mistreated. Heavy road grime, rust, dings, bent/broken spokes, etc are all obvious indicators that anyone can spot.
I see decent old hardtail, rigid fork mtn bikes from Trek, Specialized, Fisher, etc on Atlanta's Craigslist, in the $120-175 range, all the time, so i assume most any large metro area will be similar. (BTW, where are you located? Some of us would be happy to take a look at your local Craigslist, and provide some recommendations, or warnings).
Also, concerning sizing, you don;t need to go to NASA to have the calculations done. For a first bike, for light,casual exercise, there's some lee-way here. You obviously don;t want a bike there you have the seat adjusted all the way down to the top tube, or a bike so small, you have the seat post pulled out beyond it's maximum safe level, but having a mtn bike frame that is a little larger or smaller than the math says is ideal, generally isn't a serious detriment, for a casual recreational rider ( back in the day, my low end mtn bikes were set up with road-friendly tires for street commuting, and I had 17",18" and even 19" frames, and was perfectly fine on them all.)
Another point: obviously it's a good idea to check a bike out, riding it around, and all that, but being a novice rider, that's not really going to be much use to you. A bike could be absolutely perfect and a great deal, but the previous owner have the seat adjusted too high or low, or the rear derailleur just need a small adjustment, or the tires need air and the chain need lube, or the brakes rubbing a little, and you'll think the bike is terrible, when it may not be. So a "test ride" is largely useless to an uninformed rider, unless everything happens to be perfect.
Also, check around and see if you have a freind or work acquaintance that's a bike guy, they'll generally be happy to help.

Last edited by Brocephus; 04-10-19 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-10-19, 06:14 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know we have about 15 used bikes at my local bike coop that are in your price range. They are older, refurbished, and will out last anything you can buy new under $1000.

I'd encourage you to look in your local area for a bike coop or kitchen! Or Craigslist. Tinkering with bikes is something I enjoy almost as much as riding.
Old 04-22-19, 03:16 PM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know it's hard to know from a short ride around a parking lot to know if you'll be comfortable on a bike. It's important to find a bike you'll ENJOY riding, so you WILL ride. Otherwise, you'll waste your money, no matter how little you spend.

I suggest something like what I did: I rode everything in my price range +/- a few hundred dollars from every bike shop I could go to. From there, I found I liked and disliked (liked upright and didn't like brifters or being stretched out). I was able to ride the bikes again and then try to feel the nuances. I checked out steel framed '80s and '90s Specialized and Trek bikes from CL and it was one of those I purchased ($140) because it spoke to me and felt great.

Where I live, there are many bike tinkerers and bike flippers and loads of CL bikes in the $100-300. Some good, some not. There's also used bikes stores, new bike stores that sell used bikes, and a bike workshop. BTW, I am not a "bike geek," so I restricted my CL searching to Specialized and Trek because generally speaking from what I could read, those bikes in that timeframe tended to be OK. I took my $140 bike to a bike store, where it got tuned up and for $200 total got a great riding bike (since sold). Why did I sell such a great bike? Because I loved it so much, I went on longer and longer rides and wanted to treat myself to a new bike.

Good luck to you and be comfortable in the saddle.

Last edited by RECfromPA; 04-22-19 at 03:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-23-19, 11:44 AM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
My son rides a 19" at 5'11" so that is the size I would recommend looking for in mountain bikes.

If you like to tinker with mechanical stuff than there are some really good deals out there.

The Goodwill probably has an online auction in your area and can be the source of a nice bike for cheap.

The bike co-op someone mentioned is also a good source.
Old 06-30-19, 07:49 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd second all the replies here about a second hand steel bike. Be it road or MTB. In my opinion 260lbs would be safe enough on any bike so don't let your weight decide. Some vintage steel road bikes are seriously fun to ride!