Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Favorite YouTube videos or podcasts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 07:16 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts

What bike oriented you tube videos or podcasts do you enjoy?

for me it’s Seth’s bike Hacks and also Kev Central.
Old 05-15-19, 07:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have an utterly inexplicable fascination with KevCentral. I don't ride any MTBs, much less those from big box stores, but I've probably watched a hundred of his videos.

Still quite fond of GCN/GCN Tech, but do miss Matt.
Old 05-15-19, 09:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
Video Archive | Danny MacAskill
Old 05-16-19, 03:24 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
TheMove of course. Lance is still the best

Old 05-16-19, 05:00 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Iohan Gueorguiev...
Old 05-16-19, 05:05 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I love GCN a lot more than I expected.

First found them through some random YouTube search but I find them quite entertaining and their production values are much higher than their earlier videos.
Old 05-16-19, 07:43 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Too many.
I don't listen to podcasts but I got hooked to Lance's.
YT
GCN(all)
GMBN(all)
Seth
BKXC
Mctrail Rider
RJ The Bike Guy
Sendero Seeker
MTBing Adventures
Singletrack Sampler
Awesome MTB
Sam Pilgrim
MonkeyShred
BCPOV
Van Girl Yuka
BikeIt UK
...etc...etc....etc
Old 05-22-19, 06:26 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Singletrack Sample - I consider him as just getting established and could never abide living like a vagrant out of a van unless my wife kicked me out of the house but I love his enthusiasm.

Seth's Bike Hacks - his style is more documentary but I like his editing skills. I really enjoyed his documentary on riding from Miami to Key West (which is on my bucket list) but came away from it with more of a "what not to do" mindset. If I were to ever do that ride I'd probably go with a tour group. I also don't think that I'll ever build a track in my back yard because of him.

BKSC - Like SS (who he often collabs with) he seems to be all about the riding. I like that he mixes up his US trips with international ones that I'll likely never go on.

Clint Gibbs - he's more "talky" and clearly won't ever travel outside of his home state of FL, but I like that he gets involved with his son. Maybe it's a FL thing but I'd love to get my kid off his Switch and in the saddle of a new bike.

That being said, I'm noticing a trend with YouTube in general that I don't like and that's people who started out "grass roots" seem to lose their original channel's mission by getting sidetracked with sponsorships. If I want gear reviews I'd rather go with a "corporate" channel that has access to a wider variety of products and isn't just being paid by a sponsor to review their product. Don't get me wrong: good for the little guy getting paid to do what they love, but when the content becomes more about the product than the activity then I tune out. I'm also struggling with how this crowdfunding thing works on Patreon. It seems like an invitation for an IRS audit.
Old 05-22-19, 07:53 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
  • Seth's bike hacks
  • RJ the bike guy
  • Kev Central
  • Singletrack Sampler
  • BKXC
  • GMBN/GCN
  • Duke of MTB (local to me, makes it interesting)
Old 05-22-19, 07:35 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Too many.
I don't listen to podcasts but I got hooked to Lance's.
YT
GCN(all)
GMBN(all)
Seth
BKXC
Mctrail Rider
RJ The Bike Guy
Sendero Seeker
MTBing Adventures
Singletrack Sampler
Awesome MTB
Sam Pilgrim
MonkeyShred
BCPOV
Van Girl Yuka
BikeIt UK
...etc...etc....etc
Great list
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 05-22-19, 07:51 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Adam Carolla Podcast

Serial Pod

Up and vanished Pod
Old 05-22-19, 08:45 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Iohan Gueorguiev...
Yep. Good stuff. Not too amateur, not too pro. Beautiful scenery.

-Kedosto
Old 05-22-19, 09:06 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
GCN Tech. Entertaining and informative.

Bicycle Touring Pro. I give him a C+. Kinda boring watching some guy rack up miles without context.

Path Less Pedaled. Let’s hear it for the Supple Life, and cycling without racing to victory. Lovable dorks.

Iohan Gueorguiev. Manages to capture the beauty and grandeur of the tour while still keeping it personal.

I’m not too interested in following guys that focus on fix-it content. Do I really wanna sit through a ‘93 RockShox Judy tear down and rebuild? If I need help I’ll do a search for the particular subject but I’m not into watching people fixing broken crap.

-Kedosto
Old 05-23-19, 06:25 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
GCN Tech. Entertaining and informative.

Bicycle Touring Pro. I give him a C+. Kinda boring watching some guy rack up miles without context.

Path Less Pedaled. Let’s hear it for the Supple Life, and cycling without racing to victory. Lovable dorks.

Iohan Gueorguiev. Manages to capture the beauty and grandeur of the tour while still keeping it personal.

I’m not too interested in following guys that focus on fix-it content. Do I really wanna sit through a ‘93 RockShox Judy tear down and rebuild? If I need help I’ll do a search for the particular subject but I’m not into watching people fixing broken crap.

-Kedosto
Are you talking about RJ The Bike Guy who seeks out co-ops and pores over Craig's List ads and Salvation Army stores in search of fixer uppers? If so, then yeah I don't really care about the whole packrat aspect to bicycle repair. I already have enough stuff cluttering up my basement. The whole point is to get outdoors, not hide in a hole and tinker.
Old 05-23-19, 06:55 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I’m a big fan of The GCN universe. GMBN, GTN etc are all rather entertaining if you’re into all of the niches.

The Vegan Cyclist on YT can be entertaining if not a bit goofy. I try not to judge and some of his videos have been fun.

For podcasts, so far I’ve found the TheMove with Lance and The Road Is Dead by someone on this board (as retro grouchy as they can be they’re still a fun listen )

Some good suggestions in this thread. I’ll have to check some of these other ones out.
Old 05-23-19, 07:16 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
+1 on that
Old 05-23-19, 10:26 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I have an utterly inexplicable fascination with KevCentral. I don't ride any MTBs, much less those from big box stores, but I've probably watched a hundred of his videos.

Still quite fond of GCN/GCN Tech, but do miss Matt.
I'm the same, I'm not sure why I watch KevCentral, but I do. Kev seems like a really down to earth guy. His most recent video on the little electric folder...well, it has me wanting an electric folder.

I like GCN too, but it was better with Matt, especially when he got cracked up by something...usually his seeming inability to clip in.

I'll add a plug for Iohan Gueorguiev. Way too many vowels for one name, but his videos are the best on YouTube in my opinion.

-Matt
Old 05-24-19, 06:16 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Life in the Peloton can be outstanding. Some of the episodes have brought tears to my eyes.
Old 05-24-19, 10:43 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Repost from older thread:

Dustin Klein: professional artist in Portland rides a bunch of gravel with his friends, great editing, great vibe, probably my favorite YT bike channel right now, will make you want to move to Portland (the dream of the 90s):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV9...sJfe3Rev5PWy-Q

Shane Miller: gregarious, reasonable Australian reviews bike stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/user/gplama

Jeff Kendall-Weed: prodigiously talented trail rider with a great attitude creates and posts a bunch of fun and informative videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bikenweed

Fernwee: Dutch young man who posts nicely edited cycling videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu...LbG8jlRgp_Oduw

Nate Hills: excellent POV trail riding from all over the world, this guy has serious skills and rides with some of the best trail riders in the country:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyw...b9GXD0lakYf6WA

Trail Peek: Californian brothers share their MTB adventures and product reviews, very Californian:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP...jrT5BkuwjbaaIQ

Rides of Japan: excellent tutorials and other techie stuff for road cyclists:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwD...CmBAf-ZI8_VPHw

RJ the Bike Guy: this guy overhauls and restores a lot of low-end junk shop finds. Not afraid to dig in and fully disassemble some pretty daunting stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaA...2xiBbAUVZsvDYQ

Scotty Laughland: former GMBN presenter's channel, lots of great tutorials and beautifully shot ride POVs for mountain bikers, seems to be taking a break right now:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnK...0dOLN2g/videos

Seth's Bike Hacks: I'm going to assume everyone here knows about Seth, but here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...u9XfaQC74Hr_Gw

CyclingTips is the best road podcast, IMO: not 100% racing like too many other channels, people who seem to know how to broadcast, unafraid to take a stand on controversy some times. Good stuff.
Old 05-24-19, 10:48 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
GCN
GCN Tech
GMBN
GMBN Tech
Seth's Bike Hacks
The Vegan Cyclist
Veloharmony
Zach Gallardo
Kev Central
Old 05-24-19, 11:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Pretty much same as above.

And occasionally:
  • Phil Gaimon. I enjoy Phil's self-mocking ironic perspective of being the ultimate KOM junkie. Very relatable. And his more recent travelogue type videos really add some needed perspective that's often missing from media coverage of international cycling venues. He's the antithesis to and remedy for that kaidunce-kaidunce-kaidunce banana eating guy from Oz.
  • Park Tool for maintenance tips.
  • Bike Fit Advisor. Best info I've found for tweaking my own bike fit.
  • SprinterDellaCasa for inside-the-pack views of crit racing. Very insightful, enjoyable and reminds me why I'm too old for that stuff anymore.
  • Juliet Elliot. Love her enthusiasm. Her voice simultaneously tweaks my "Ah, that's adorable" and "Argh, that's annoying" reactions. She reminds me of some of my local women cycling friends -- similar enthusiasm and energy for racing and anything to do with riding bikes.
  • Bowflex channel, for their excellent equipment-free tutorials for toning and flexibility. Concise, to the point, better than the vast majority of physical fitness/therapy channels that meander aimlessly for 15-30 minutes when 2-3 minutes is plenty.
Old 05-24-19, 11:06 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
This one is great!
https://www.youtube.com/c/JoeyMesa
It's got lot's of bicycle related content including: repair tutorials, product testing and reviews, custom built dream bike assemblies, frame building, ride along race videos, and so much more!
Ok, it's my youtube channel, but it's got hundreds of bike videos any bike enthusiast would enjoy!
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 05-24-19, 11:19 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This guy in my club puts together videos of his rides- many of them double centuries,

& posts them. Occasionally see myself in them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUw...H1wao0UaHQFdKw

The latest- cold & wet Davis DC.

Last edited by woodcraft; 05-24-19 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 12:15 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
I've seen a lot of youtube videos, but I tend to focus more on specific products or events. I'd have a tough time mentioning a specific channel or youtuber I'm a "fan" of. It's tough for me to fanboy over anyone at this point. It just seems untoward, I probably think of it as juvenile even, to be a "fan" of someone else. I suppose I or someone else could write a lot on the topic but simple intuition and common sense should prove sufficient here.

Generally speaking, a 5 to 10 minute test ride is worth infinitely more than any amount of time you could spend watching videos. Add to that, most any youtuber with an audience has to be extraordinarily careful about criticisms of any kind, lest their goodie bag of free test merchandise dries up. Third, are there any bicycling you tubers who you would consider to be charismatic? I can't really think of any, offhand.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of the information that these guys (and gals) dole out on the regular. But somehow that doesn't translate into my thinking of them as a celebrity in any way. Perhaps these people are of especial importance and I'm missing that for some reason. But I doubt it.
Old 05-25-19, 04:40 AM
posiden9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ryan Van Duzer

His positivity, and love of all things Bicycle, inspires me to get off my butt and find some adventure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.