Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What wind speed does it take to put you on your indoor trainer?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-27-19, 07:32 AM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

TiHabanero's thread on "indoor riding about to start" got me thinking about wind speed.

Morning temps are good now. But by 11 am the wind has been hitting 15 mph. That is ok for the loop that I ride but I'm not doing an out and back to my friends house. That would mean the way home against the wind.
Old 09-27-19, 10:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Recreational riding on a loop ride or out and back the wind is like a climb (yeah, yeah, without the bragging rights, I get that). Having grown up on the Great Plains the wind is what it is, although wind chill in cold temperatures is not to be trifled with.

If the wind is a real problem in one's chosen geographical location, reduce frontal area and apply the science of 'wind speed gradient':

Old 09-27-19, 10:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
TiHabanero's thread on "indoor riding about to start" got me thinking about wind speed.

Morning temps are good now. But by 11 am the wind has been hitting 15 mph. That is ok for the loop that I ride but I'm not doing an out and back to my friends house. That would mean the way home against the wind.
30 mph. 15 is the standard daily afternoon wind from the Delta around here.
Old 09-27-19, 10:50 AM
hefeweizen

I don't think 15 mph wind is that bad. But with 50mm rims it can make things a bit crazy. Throw in some traffic and a gust can be deadly.
Likes For hefeweizen:
Old 09-27-19, 11:31 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
A little wind won't stop me from riding. It's a good workout.

But if they're holding trucks over the passes, I'll stay indoors.

It can become dangerous when the wind really kicks up. More debris on the road, and trees fall. A local rider was killed by a tree on a very windy day.

Old 09-27-19, 07:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
I used to hate the wind. As a non-aerodynamic rider, I have had lots of experiences with wind which have been memorable. I've become pretty good at fighting it and it has to be pretty bad to keep me from riding. Biker 395 is the expert here.
Old 09-27-19, 08:18 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I used to hate the wind. As a non-aerodynamic rider, I have had lots of experiences with wind which have been memorable. I've become pretty good at fighting it and it has to be pretty bad to keep me from riding. Biker 395 is the expert here.
Lol ... not really. Ordinary winds, you just put your head down, get on the drops, and resign yourself to the fact that it's going to be a slog.

But I have been out there in some ridiculously windy conditions. The 2009 Furnace Creek 508 was the worst ... 80-100 miles of headwinds so bad, I got blown off the road. The Inyo Double a few years ago wasn't nearly as windy, but we had sand to deal with too. Steve M and Tony M put together a video ... fun stuff:

Likes For Biker395:
Old 09-27-19, 08:20 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Not a fan of the wind but I do get a chuckle when I am getting tired struggling to pedal *down* a 4 or 5% grade.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-27-19, 08:28 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I don't ride when they cancel the ferries which happens maybe once or twice a year. Otherwise, it's just an opportunity for a KOM
Old 09-27-19, 08:50 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Biker395
Lol ... not really. Ordinary winds, you just put your head down, get on the drops, and resign yourself to the fact that it's going to be a slog.

But I have been out there in some ridiculously windy conditions. The 2009 Furnace Creek 508 was the worst ... 80-100 miles of headwinds so bad, I got blown off the road. The Inyo Double a few years ago wasn't nearly as windy, but we had sand to deal with too. Steve M and Tony M put together a video ... fun stuff:
Your writing about the 508 is what I was thinking about. Remember when we did Cruisin' the Conejo and people were walking their bikes on the flat ground because the wind was so strong?
Old 09-27-19, 08:55 PM
big john

Originally Posted by spelger
Not a fan of the wind but I do get a chuckle when I am getting tired struggling to pedal *down* a 4 or 5% grade.
Done a bit of that! The other thing that happens is you crest a mountain and suddenly get blown up to 50mph on the descent. Super scary because you don't know if it's going to change to a crosswind.
Old 09-28-19, 06:58 AM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I once lived on the open prairie where wind was the norm. If it was really high (I never kept track of the number) I would go out against it for as far as I could or had time for. It was a tremendous work out for the legs and the return home with the wind was truly magical (but so short in comparison). There were many times when I could have gone faster but ran out of gears. Now I'm in hillier country with more trees and the wind is not as much a factor. Oh, and yes, I'm older with less testosterone so I tend not to torture myself as much.
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 09-30-19, 06:21 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
15mph wind is nothing. That's just a normal ride. 20, 25, 30 is getting strong.

I ride with a power meter and watch power more than speed now. When I have the wind at my back I'm disappointed that the power readings are way down. When I've drafted I've seen my power go down around 100 watts, and that too is a lot. Yea, it feels good to go fast, but you get your workout by expending watts, not going some arbitrary speed.
Likes For zacster:
Old 09-30-19, 06:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Gotta be over 30 mph. Anything less is normal here.

I likethe normal headwind for training since we don't have any real long climbs.
And the tailwinds are fun.

Above 30 mph I worry about debris. Local construction crews are lax about securing stuff, so there's a risk of being struck by flying warning signs. Nobody wants to die being struck by a hazard warning sign. There's only just so much irony a person can tolerate.

I always avoid the treelined areas, especially the MUP, during and immediately after storms. Our "Live" Oaks are dying from blight. I've seen too many near misses from limbs and entire trees falling.
Old 10-01-19, 07:22 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I don't have a trainer and am not interested in expending energy on something that won't get me to work. There's no temperature too cold or hot to ride, but I'm sure there really are are wind limits. It's a good question. Up to 20 mph or so, it is a piece of cake, although headwinds are tiring. At 30, it's work staying on line. Somewhere over 40, I think one finds the limit of controllability. I recall coming home from work as Hurricane Isabel approached. Gusts were reported as over 40, but my route home was shielded by trees and buildings so it was OK. I think European transportation bikes, particularly Dutch, are much better for this than American-style sporty bikes.
Old 10-02-19, 12:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
as much as I like riding in storms, I'd rather avoid falling trees. so if a "wind storm" is predicted, I'll stay in, but then I might go out the next day

I knew I would find this one

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-01-19 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 04:38 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
For me, as strictly a road cyclist, the wind strength, and direction, is really more a matter of the direction in which I start my ride. whether it's and out-and-back course, or a loop/circuit, I usually try to ride so that I go OUT against the wind, and back home with the wind at my back. That's especaially in the winter.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 10-03-19, 11:28 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
For me, as strictly a road cyclist, the wind strength, and direction, is really more a matter of the direction in which I start my ride. whether it's and out-and-back course, or a loop/circuit, I usually try to ride so that I go OUT against the wind, and back home with the wind at my back. That's especaially in the winter.

Dan
I should have done that yesterday. I felt like Superman on the way out, cruising at a high speed. Then I turned around...
Old 10-03-19, 06:21 PM
hefeweizen

This was crazy

Old 10-07-19, 09:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've ridden in 20-30 mph winds, no problem. Often in high-wind situations, it's not the wind that stops me but the other weather that's riding along WITH the wind.
Old 10-07-19, 05:40 PM
zacster

I once started a century in the remnants of a hurricane. The wind was blowing like crazy and I should have just said fuggedahboudit. But I started, the rain started coming down in buckets within 5 minutes of starting, and then the bolt of lightning came down right where the tables were set up for the ride. I ducked under an awning at a diner on Manhattan's upper upper west side near the GWB, decided that a corn muffin was a good idea, and waited for the rain to let up just enough to get on the subway. When I sat down on the train the water squished out of my padded shorts. EWWWW.
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-07-19, 05:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Hurricane force?

(I dont have a trainer)
Old 10-07-19, 06:10 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Hurricane force?

(I dont have a trainer)
No, it was just the remnants of the hurricane. Maybe 20-30mph with an occasional gust.
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-08-19, 07:36 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Steady 30mph that afternoon, gusts to ~50mph.

Note the flags at the beginning and end of the clip. What caught me completely offguard was the wind blew down the facade of the Cathedral and turned UPWIND into the low pressure area behind the buildings across the street.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Wind advisory? Should have listened to the news I guess.

Close encounter of the wow kind outside The Cathedral of the Holy Cross. At least I didn't hit anything, nor take the Lord's name in vain.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-13-19, 07:25 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
What indoor trainer?
I ride year round, in Idaho.
"Cold and windy"? That is why the gods invented snowmobile suits, muckluck boots, and snowmobile gloves so we can keep riding in less than ideal conditions.
They gave us adult trikes so we don't fall and break old bones or get squished by trucks and cars when the roads are snowy and icy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.