Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki XRS?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki XRS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 06:30 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Nishiki XRS?

Just found a pawn shop bike, called a Nishiki XRS. Kind of a commuter/hybrid style. Fat 700 tires, cantilever brakes, all the extra mounts you could want, and my size so it has a nearly straight top tube, not slanted much at all. I am VERY tempted, as it looks like a garage or back bedroom queen. Kind of a cobalt blue meets purple. I was thinking a touring type build with fenders, drop bars, maybe even update it to 9 speed with a 32 rear gear and STI's. I have everything needed. It's not heavy at all, but my arm o meter may be failing me. I used to be able to guess a bike weight within a pound, and sometimes even closer than that.

Anyway, the real kicker? The frame sticker says Made in USA from US and Foreign components. Intriguing to say the least. They're asking $100 plus tax, and I don't think they realize how old it is. I am guessing mid 90's.

I also found that Doohickie owned one, or did. His page was one of the only places that had pictures, though fogged out by Photobucket and their extortion scheme to make money off of a site that was free for years!!

Last edited by Bikedued; 10-10-19 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-20-19, 08:25 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
You are correct, sir! It is a hybrid. What you have is actually a Nishiki Sport XRS. It should have a 'SPORT' decal on the seat tube and an 'XRS' decal on the top tube. The XRS version of the Sport hybrid was introduced circa 1993. West Coast Cycle Supply, the Nishiki owner, was purchased by Derby in 1989. Derby also owned Raleigh, so the USA source could be the Kent Washington factory. If so, the serial number should allow us to determine the manufactured date.