Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for guidance regarding 1982 Bianchi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 02:32 PM
Fem_ilk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Https : // m.imgur . com/gallery/MKSLs4j

Relevant link above (I couldn’t paste a normal link)

Hello!

I am new to vintage bikes and am looking for some guidance!

I started out looking for which crankset was original to the bike, thinking it was a 1981, but now it seems that I found the correct bicycle in the 1982 catalog. However I’m still not 100% sure but the crankset checks out and it seems that the gipiemme dual sprint is the original.

It seems that the brakes might be the right ones too as they are the Universal no.77 which were also featured on the nuovo from 1982.

I’m wondering what handlebars plugs were original because I don’t think Cateye model 800 is it chief. Also wondering what brake lever hoods would be original to this bike.

Also wondering what else is unoriginal on it right now. (Except the clipless pedals, they are getting changed into age appropriate Gipiemme dual sprint ones once I have the right crankset.)

I was told it’s from 1981 originally, but now I think it’s a Bianchi Nuovo Touring from 1982 but I’m not completely certain. The frame should be 57cm and I think the wheels are 28”? I was looking at the 1981 catalog and couldn’t find the bike there, however I had more luck on the 1982 catalog.

The brakes are a bit stiff and after being released they go back out slowly, so I would like to take them apart and clean them properly, however I’m not sure how. Is there any good guide out there on the actual removal and reassembly of old brakes without having to change the brake chords?

I’m very new to this and I really want to learn, I’ve only ridden new bikes all my life and not really been that interested in fixing them up myself until now.

I’ve tried watching as many tutorials online as I can but I’m still uncertain about a lot. I would really appreciate any kind of guidance, or if you have any tips for me that I should know, so that I can fix my bike!

Also, am I correct in which bicycle this is or am I off the mark?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read!
Old 10-20-19, 03:29 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Hello and welcome!

for these stiff brakes of yours, first thing I'd do is find out where the stickiness is: release the cable from its clamp at the calipers, and manually squeeze the brake arms to see if the (now uncabled) calipers are stiff, then also squeeze the (now unclamped) brake levers to see if their cables are moving stiffly in the housing. You might be suffering from both!

Stiff cable/housing is probably a signal that it's replacement time, but I've had luck in the past using PTFE solutions to clean & soak the original cable before re-inserting into the original housing.
Old 10-20-19, 03:54 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I can't quite make out the tubing decal but it looks more like Zeta that Aelle, which should make it 1981. The serial number, which should be located on both sides of the seat lug, should provide further evidence.
Old 10-20-19, 04:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
I think it is a 1980 Nuovo Racing, judging by the decal style. The universal brakes and GipMe crank set would be consistent with that as well.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MKSLs4j

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-20-19, 04:32 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
For working on bikes a couple thoughts OP RJ the bike guy on youtube, Sheldon Brown on the web, Forum member's site Mytenspeeds, Park tools has some excellent videos. If you have a bike co-op near you they are an excellent source of parts, advice, classes and in some cases a place to borrow work space and/or tools. Nice looking Bianchi btw. Welcome.
Old 10-20-19, 04:37 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Fem_ilk
Https://m.imgur.com/gallery/MKSLs4j

Relevant link above (I couldn’t paste a normal link)

Hello!

I am new to vintage bikes and am looking for some guidance!

I started out looking for which crankset was original to the bike, thinking it was a 1981, but now it seems that I found the correct bicycle in the 1982 catalog. However I’m still not 100% sure but the crankset checks out and it seems that the gipiemme dual sprint is the original. I think you have the original crankset.

It seems that the brakes might be the right ones too as they are the Universal no.77 which were also featured on the nuovo from 1982.

I’m wondering what handlebars plugs were original because I don’t think Cateye model 800 is it chief. Also wondering what brake lever hoods would be original to this bike. It's likely the original plugs broke or they seem to be black according to the catalog so it is likely they were changed to the white ones that came with the tape. Universal model 77 hoods would be the originally supplied on the Universal brake levers.

Also wondering what else is unoriginal on it right now. (Except the clipless pedals, they are getting changed into age appropriate Gipiemme dual sprint ones once I have the right crankset.)

I was told it’s from 1981 originally, but now I think it’s a Bianchi Nuovo Touring from 1982 but I’m not completely certain. The frame should be 57cm and I think the wheels are 28”? I was looking at the 1981 catalog and couldn’t find the bike there, however I had more luck on the 1982 catalog.

The brakes are a bit stiff and after being released they go back out slowly, so I would like to take them apart and clean them properly, however I’m not sure how. Is there any good guide out there on the actual removal and reassembly of old brakes without having to change the brake chords? The brake cables may be the issue here and new ones with a nylon lining would make a huge difference. These brakes are fairly easy to dissemble but can be tricky to get adjusted correctly when putting them back together.

I’m very new to this and I really want to learn, I’ve only ridden new bikes all my life and not really been that interested in fixing them up myself until now. Where do you live? Lots of us are willing to help novices but not knowing where you are makes it hard.

I’ve tried watching as many tutorials online as I can but I’m still uncertain about a lot. I would really appreciate any kind of guidance, or if you have any tips for me that I should know, so that I can fix my bike!

Also, am I correct in which bicycle this is or am I off the mark?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read!

This is a great looking Bianchi. While your drive to make all OEM is commendable it may prove to be fruitless and expensive effort. On bike like this lots of things can be changed for lots of reasons. as explained the bar plugs were likely changed when the tape was changed. Someone may have changed the bars because they wanted something wider or a different style of bar. I think with a bike like this making it your own so it is something you enjoy riding is more important.

My '88 Trofeo is a great example. It was a great bike but I made a few changed to fit me better and make the appearance more unique

This is the bike stock, and while looks nice I just needed to make it my own

I prefer a longer cranks so I swapped them out, wider bars and more upright riding position was needed and while the Celeste saddle is cool I found it's 30 year old padding too hard.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-20-19, 10:35 PM
Fem_ilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I can't quite make out the tubing decal but it looks more like Zeta that Aelle, which should make it 1981. The serial number, which should be located on both sides of the seat lug, should provide further evidence.
The serial number seems to be: 0125264
Old 10-21-19, 12:10 AM
Fem_ilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
This is a great looking Bianchi. While your drive to make all OEM is commendable it may prove to be fruitless and expensive effort. On bike like this lots of things can be changed for lots of reasons. as explained the bar plugs were likely changed when the tape was changed. Someone may have changed the bars because they wanted something wider or a different style of bar. I think with a bike like this making it your own so it is something you enjoy riding is more important.

My '88 Trofeo is a great example. It was a great bike but I made a few changed to fit me better and make the appearance more unique

This is the bike stock, and while looks nice I just needed to make it my own

I prefer a longer cranks so I swapped them out, wider bars and more upright riding position was needed and while the Celeste saddle is cool I found it's 30 year old padding too hard.
Thank you so much for your advice! You’re right, of course you’re right in making and adjusting it how you want is awesome.

I want to have every original component except the wheels, but I will also store away the seat and get a cambium one because I ride at least 20 km every day and I want it to be comfy haha. (Especially now that my modern Bianchi was just stolen I’ll only be using this one for now)

However for the rest of it for the time being I get a kick out of having it as close as it would’ve been handed out from a shop 40 years ago!

Your bike is super pretty! I live in Copenhagen, so if anyone on this forum lives around here I would love some help, it would be amazing, but either way you guys have helped me a ton already and I really appreciate that!

My dad used to race on a bike similar to this in the late 80s as a teenager, he used to have his old frame hanging in the garage wall which I guess influenced me.

I visited my parents with the bike to look for advice, other than being excited he does however unfortunately not really remember how to service it as it’s been a long time, so now I’m here!

Thank you again!
Old 10-21-19, 12:11 AM
Fem_ilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
For working on bikes a couple thoughts OP RJ the bike guy on youtube, Sheldon Brown on the web, Forum member's site Mytenspeeds, Park tools has some excellent videos. If you have a bike co-op near you they are an excellent source of parts, advice, classes and in some cases a place to borrow work space and/or tools. Nice looking Bianchi btw. Welcome.
Thank you for the welcome and for your advice! I’ve had a hard time finding anything like that even though I live in Cooenhagen.

I think it’s because there is a bike repair shop every 5 metres and it’s inexpensive I think that has something to do with it.. I’ll check out the people you recommended.

Thank you so very much for taking your time to help me!
Old 10-21-19, 12:13 AM
Fem_ilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by niliraga
Hello and welcome!

for these stiff brakes of yours, first thing I'd do is find out where the stickiness is: release the cable from its clamp at the calipers, and manually squeeze the brake arms to see if the (now uncabled) calipers are stiff, then also squeeze the (now unclamped) brake levers to see if their cables are moving stiffly in the housing. You might be suffering from both!

Stiff cable/housing is probably a signal that it's replacement time, but I've had luck in the past using PTFE solutions to clean & soak the original cable before re-inserting into the original housing.
That’s good advice, thank you so much! I will do that and figure out how to replace just the cable in that case, which seems way easier than taking the brakes apart completely haha

Oh I was wondering something, what tools should I buy that will fit the bike? If it’s possible to tell from the photos? I have a bunch but only some of them work on this one and I don’t really know what to ask for in a store

Thank you again!
Old 10-21-19, 08:05 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Originally Posted by Fem_ilk
Thank you for the welcome and for your advice! I’ve had a hard time finding anything like that even though I live in Cooenhagen.

I think it’s because there is a bike repair shop every 5 metres and it’s inexpensive I think that has something to do with it.. I’ll check out the people you recommended.

Thank you so very much for taking your time to help me!
Happy to help, the work can sometimes be frustrating but mostly its rewarding to do it your self and learn a new skill. You live in the most bike-centric city in the world so it makes sense there are so many repair shops - a good problem to have
Old 10-21-19, 09:02 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 3,341 Times in 2,180 Posts
-----

You mention it is your only bike at present.

In case you would wish to use it for errands or commuting you might wish to add a rack or mudguards.

Noticed the frame is made without eyelets.

There are specialty fittings made to give you eyelets to attach mudguards or racks.

One brand for these is Jim Blackburn Designs.

---

Great job with the celeste paint touchup!

Now that you have those chainslap chips repaired you might wish to add a chainstay protector.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-21-19 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old 10-21-19, 09:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The serial number isn't consistent with the format we typically see on the very early 1980s, mid-range, Italian manufactured models. However, it is consistent with the entry level Bianchi models that came from Chiorda. The frame itself does appear to be a mid-range model, so maybe the Bianchi factory ran into some issues whiuch required them to offload some of the lower mid-range models. What is the seat post diameter?

Edit: If the bicycle was originally sold in the Danish market, there should be a 2nd serial number, having a prefix and suffix of alpha characters. This 2nd number is often found on the lower down or seat tubes.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-21-19 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 10:22 AM
Belle_ilk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

You mention it is your only bike at present.

In case you would wish to use it for errands or commuting you might wish to add a rack or mudguards.

Noticed the frame is made without eyelets.

There are specialty fittings made to give you eyelets to attach mudguards or racks.

One brand for these is Jim Blackburn Designs.

---

Great job with the celeste paint touchup!

Now that you have those chainslap chips repaired you might wish to add a chainstay protector.

-----
Disclaimer: I am OP, there was a 5 message limit every 24h... but I want to respond so I made a new account!

Oh thank you so much for your advice! I had no idea chainstay protector tape was a thing, I’ve ordered some right away!

You are right, this will be my main commuter as my other bicycle was stolen, I have one ladybicycle for shop errands so I’ll use that for shopping so I won’t need a rack for the bianchi. But fenders!

I really want fenders especially as we are coming into rain season in copenhagen and it’s just pouring. But it’s really hard to know which ones I should order that will fit.

So the fenders from blackburn should fit my bike? Do you know which size I should order, because the numbers are foreign to me.

Also do you know if there is any brand like this with steel or ”steel coloured” fenders that will match the retro look a little more?

I appreciate it a lot! Thank you again for taking your time to help, it’s so hard to get all of this information on your own!
Old 10-21-19, 10:24 AM
Belle_ilk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number isn't consistent with the format we typically see on the very early 1980s, mid-range, Italian manufactured models. However, it is consistent with the entry level Bianchi models that came from Chiorda. The frame itself does appear to be a mid-range model, so maybe the Bianchi factory ran into some issues whiuch required them to offload some of the lower mid-range models. What is the seat post diameter?

Edit: If the bicycle was originally sold in the Danish market, there should be a 2nd serial number, having a prefix and suffix of alpha characters. This 2nd number is often found on the lower down or seat tubes.
Disclaimer: I am OP, there was a 5 message limit every 24h... but I want to respond so I made a new account!

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this! I’ve tried to read up on bianchi serial numbers and it seems like such a jungle with no clarity to me!

So you are absolutely correct, if I’m not mistaken this bike was imported to Denmark. The guy I bought it from had a pretty interesting story about it that I forgot (might have to do with going out and having some beers right after).

He bought it from a friend of his originally, who was a collector and there was something interesting that I’ve lost, but it didn’t have anything to do with factory issues.
Old 10-21-19, 01:04 PM
ryansu

SKS has a model of fenders called race blade, at least here in the US. that has rubber straps to attach to the stays. Made for racy bikes without fender eyelets.
Old 10-21-19, 02:15 PM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I live in Virum, just a little north of Copenhagen. I´m not by any means an expert, but I think I might know a little more about bikes than you do. I can at least take a bike apart, service it, and reassemble it. If I can help you, I´ll gladly do it. I don´t think fenders belong on a bike like this, but if you must have them, then I can recommend a shop called Velo Vintage, in Søborg. As the name suggests, they are into vintage bikes, primarily road bikes just like yours.
Best regards, Lars.