Old 05-17-09, 01:14 AM
Wkend_Warrior

Bikes: Madone 5.2, Specialized Allez Epic, Giant RiconSE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Visiting Austin..riding on 22nd & 23rd..need some add' suggestions

I'm visiting from So Cal. and planning to rent bike @ bicycle sport shop in centeral austin.
Wonder if there are any social club / non official rides on Fri and Sat.?

I'm also concern about the heat [ coming from 78ish degree to 90's] and humidity that might put a limits on the wheels.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciate.

ps- I did check out austin on two wheels ...wonders if that is accurate schedule and the level of their riders. Oh, I will be staying in the zip code of 78739
Old 05-18-09, 06:32 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.austincycling.org/ has the more `serious' rides.
https://www.atxbs.com/ has the more `social' rides. It's down at the moment due to a hardware failure, but I imagine it'll be back up later today.

The Austin on two wheels site's calendar mostly comes from these two sites, so to be sure, check the site themselves.

As for social rides, the Midnight Moonlight Tower Ride is on the night of the 23rd -- 11:59pm starting at the Lamar pedestrian bridge. Hits all the moonlight towers at a reasonably slow clip, probably around 20 miles.
Old 05-18-09, 09:05 AM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity in Austin. It's pretty arid there. It's more of a dry heat. I was there yesterday and it was actually pretty cool in the morning and only got up to about 78 deg. Very nice day!
Old 05-20-09, 09:57 AM
SA_Brak

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The predominate wind pattern in central Texas comes out of the Gulf bringing moisture and high humidity to Austin on a regular basis. I would not consider this to be a "dry heat". We were fortunate to have a front push through earlier this week bringing low humidity and cooler temperatures. A quick check of the forecast shows that temps will be back into the mid 90's on Saturday and the lows will be in the 60's.

Don't worry too much about the weather for this weekend. The really hot stuff doesn't hit for another month. Just stay hydrated and don't push too hard at first.
Old 05-20-09, 01:54 PM
Wkend_Warrior

Bikes: Madone 5.2, Specialized Allez Epic, Giant RiconSE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys for great suggestions... I landed in Austin just 2hr ago. I'm staying in circle C Ranch. I'm trying to map some routes and cking some group rides on Fri-Sat. As I was drove into the ranch, I noticed there were few riders on Escarpment Blvd. Where does that road go? Is there any group meeting around that route on early Fri. or Sat morning?

Thanks again.
Old 05-20-09, 02:02 PM
jtarver
Rumblefish

Bikes: 1973 Crescent Pepita Single Speed,1978 Raleigh Competition G.S.,1976 Raleigh Super Course MKII,1970's Motobecane Super Touring Fixed Gear, 1980's Denti Road Tech Five,Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo,1973 Atala Giro,Cheap MTB Tandem,Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of cyclists down in Circle C, you can probably just pick up with a group by riding around for a bit until you spot one. The veloway is down there, depending on what kind of riding you're doing. Here's the map link
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...23240941405956
Old 05-20-09, 04:39 PM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wkend_Warrior
Thank you guys for great suggestions... I landed in Austin just 2hr ago. I'm staying in circle C Ranch. I'm trying to map some routes and cking some group rides on Fri-Sat. As I was drove into the ranch, I noticed there were few riders on Escarpment Blvd. Where does that road go? Is there any group meeting around that route on early Fri. or Sat morning?

Thanks again.
If you wear a base layer, don't. Unless you have one of the really "holey" craft or specialized ones. In our humidity, a normal base layer is more like a sausage casing once the weather gets above 80 or so.

Also, drink more water.