Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 05:22 PM
abstract

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a frame that is too large for me that I already posted in ISO and For Trade thread, so I don't think I should double post here, unless the moderators think I should.

See: 2004 Pinarello Galileo, 55cm c-c

Thanks!
Old 03-27-15, 12:32 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Bikes: One new one, a couple old ones, and a mountain bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
I am in the process of cleaning up a 1975-77 Peugeot PX10. Frame and decals are awesome underneath all the gunk... hence no pics yet!

Bright blue, 58cm TT. Stronglight 93 crank, 5sp cassette, Mafac Racer with decent half hoods, NON death stem, Simplex Prestige "Red Spot" rear derailleur, Shimano 105 front, Simplex seat post.

Only needs handlebar, matching front derailleur, clamp-on brake cable guides for TT, and original style saddle and pedals to be 100% original.
Depending on the offer, we can do frame/fork/crank only, +groupset, or the whole package.
I would really like a nice Bianchi in Celeste around the same size (56-59ish)
If this is still here, I still have it. Will update with pics and more info.

Plano/DFW, Texas

I have tons more pics, but let me know if you want to see them so I don't blow up this page.

Last edited by tronnyjenkins; 04-02-15 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 09:10 PM
1VeloFellow

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ham
Have: 1984 23" Specialized Stumpjumper frame + fork + headset + seatpost (fastback stays, bi-plane fork, vertical dropouts)
Want: Specialized Sequoia or Specialized Expedition frame + fork + headset in the biggest size they made (68.5cm/68cm)
I seem to be having an issue posting a response to this thread. Just wanting to let you no I've got a Specialized Sequoia in the size you are looking for. I'm not sure I'm ready to unload it yet but I may be persuaded. Shall we do some picture swapping?
Old 04-02-15, 09:50 AM
jjwithers

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
64cm Medici Gran Tourismo - Too Big - Trade for equal frame but smaller?

I have a 1982 Medici Gran Tourismo that was custom built for a guy much taller then me. I'd like the keep the components and swap frames with something of equal value and age but smaller. The frame is a 64cm. I am guessing I would need something around the 58-59cm range for I'm about 5' 9.5" . The frame is black chrome and I have all the original Medici decals. Ideally, i'd love the exact same frame but smaller.
I'm a fan of all things old/vintage and functional so a 70's or 80's frame with equal build quality and weight might do the trick (braised tubes are a must).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7156.jpg (92.8 KB, 191 views)
IMG_7155.jpg (98.5 KB, 191 views)
IMG_7154.jpg (99.6 KB, 191 views)
IMG_7153.jpg (98.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 04-03-15, 10:46 AM
enjoybikes

Bikes: Early 90's Pinarello Gavia, '84 Guerciotti, '91 GF Hoo Koo e Koo, '88 Giant Iguana, '09 Specialized XC

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1996 Cannondale 2.8 frame, 58cm, paint pretty dinged, especially at bb area and chainstays, rear drops areas. Straight condition, all threads good. Black/purple. Fork is aluminum with a coating that looks composite. Was never able to track down the fork info, but its interesting. Shimano 600 - 6400/6402 headset included.

pictures here. Please ask questions as I'm sure I'm not thinking of everything.

Would like something interesting in the 58-61 zone. Not a hater of anything, love italian rigs, don't mind french rigs, love steel, interested in a vintage composite frame.

Thanks, email enjoybikes@icloud.com if you can't PM.

Last edited by enjoybikes; 08-30-15 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Update model year
Old 04-03-15, 01:29 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
^^Cantilever stays makes that an '89 BL.
Old 04-06-15, 10:54 AM
plaidika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjwithers
I have a 1982 Medici Gran Tourismo that was custom built for a guy much taller then me. I'd like the keep the components and swap frames with something of equal value and age but smaller. The frame is a 64cm. I am guessing I would need something around the 58-59cm range for I'm about 5' 9.5" . The frame is black chrome and I have all the original Medici decals. Ideally, i'd love the exact same frame but smaller.
I'm a fan of all things old/vintage and functional so a 70's or 80's frame with equal build quality and weight might do the trick (braised tubes are a must).
Would you be interested in a black '78 Schwinn Superior? I have a 24" (60/61cm) that's too small for me, try as I might (at 6'5!). I'll post pictures later today.
Old 04-06-15, 12:38 PM
jjwithers

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by plaidika
Would you be interested in a black '78 Schwinn Superior? I have a 24" (60/61cm) that's too small for me, try as I might (at 6'5!). I'll post pictures later today.
perhaps. Where are you located? I'm curious if a 60cm frame will still be too big. I'm between 5-9 and 5'-10"
Old 04-06-15, 04:32 PM
plaidika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjwithers
perhaps. Where are you located? I'm curious if a 60cm frame will still be too big. I'm between 5-9 and 5'-10"
I'm in Milwaukee. It has a standover height of 33". CTC is 57cm and TT is ~53.5.

Attached Images
H4KQQub.jpg (93.4 KB, 142 views)
ipV7fT2.jpg (102.1 KB, 163 views)
jrBqm4s.jpg (84.7 KB, 142 views)
OcuSd0H.jpg (101.8 KB, 149 views)
phdTgrj.jpg (101.7 KB, 150 views)
RqZNn1m.jpg (101.3 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by plaidika; 04-06-15 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 07:51 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Spring has come and this is still available

Originally Posted by scozim
Parts are off and better pictures taken:

Looking to trade this 1979 Univega Gran Rally with Tange Champion tubing for something in comparable quality in the 52-55cm range. This would be for the frame, fork and headset. 62 cm c-t-c seat tube and 57 cm c-t-c top tube. Head tube measures roughly 20 cm. Light rust at the top tub front cable guide below where the brake cable was and a little on the serial number on the bb. There are some scrapes on the right seat stay. Nice light blue color with gold lining at the lugs.

Old 04-09-15, 01:44 PM
TennisGeek

Bikes: N=5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1983 Trek 700 22.5" - just a tad too big, and wanting a bike with 52-54cm size.
Seat tube is 56cm, so is the top/seat C-C is 56cm.
Raynolds 531c for both frame and fork. You can see the pictures of bike at

1983 Trek 700 22.5" · Tai's bike collection

If interested, please email me at ntai151@smartfruit.com

I could swap just frame+fork, or whole bike, or whole bike - wheels, etc.
Bottom line is I want a bike that I can ride.
Old 04-19-15, 08:13 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by abstract
I have a frame that is too large for me that I already posted in ISO and For Trade thread, so I don't think I should double post here, unless the moderators think I should.

See: 2004 Pinarello Galileo, 55cm c-c

Thanks!
Double bubble blah blah — what size will you trade for? PM me if you like! — Lorne!
Old 04-19-15, 01:08 PM
abstract

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lenton58-

It depends on the geometry of the frame, but somewhere around 53-54.5 top tube would likely be a good fit. What frame have you got in mind?
Old 04-19-15, 03:58 PM
Lenton58 

Lenton58- It depends on the geometry of the frame, but somewhere around 53-54.5 top tube would likely be a good fit. What frame have you got in mind?
This is probably not going to work because your frame is much richer than mine.

1985 Trek 560 racing frame: Reynolds 501 db triangle with T-1 stays and maybe the fork is the same. Some nice investment cast lugs. Original paint and decals. I had a stop put on the right chain stay because I did not like the internal routing for the DR cable. The frame was checked-out and tweaked by a frame maker when I built it up. All parts except for the Tange headset are now on my Gazelle. I really like the ride — a lot! But it is just too small for me in the seat tube. I am better sized for a 56 cm.

CC from BB to TT is 51.5 — as I measure it. I translate this to mean Trek's 21 inch frame or their measurement of 52.1
which is supposed to have a 55 cm TT, head tube angle 72 degrees, seat tube angle of 73.5

If you have any interest, I'll measure the whole bike again. If you do — I guess Id have to throw some extra your way or pay the freight bill both ways. Best regards — Lorne/Lenton

Last edited by Lenton58; 04-19-15 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 06:16 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dashuaigeh
How do we add our frames to the sheet?
Old 04-20-15, 01:37 AM
abstract

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lenton58-

Thanks for your offer and the detailed info on the frame. Right now though, I have my sights set on a steel Italian frame, so I will need to pass on this one.

-abstract
Old 04-20-15, 07:03 AM
Lenton58 

lenton58- Thanks for your offer and the detailed info on the frame. Right now though, I have my sights set on a steel Italian frame, so I will need to pass on this one.-abstract
Thanks for your reply. I too have an Italian frame that I believe was made by Romani — asymmetrical in 56 ST x 54 TT — tight racing geometry but totally unflappable ... stable at any speed either in descent or in a crosswind. I think it could have doubled as a criterium frame and very likely did back in the days. If you get an italian frame in this vain — you'll love it!

BTW: all tubes on mine are Reynolds 531 — not Columbus. This is not of any significant consequence — just a point of irony

For anyone who is interested, the '85 Trek 560 was an entry level frame for serious racers on a budget. It is very stable and comfortable to ride on tubulars, but without any flexing that I can notice. My avatar shows me riding it some years ago.

'501' was a rolled and welded tube instead of an extrusion. True Temper tubing that are the stays should need no explanation. The forks are Tange mangalloy. This steels was excellently suited to mass production due to the tolerance this material had for heat without annealing into brittleness or losing temper. Moreover, IMHO, the Trek lug castings for the BB, DO's, head-lug, and especially the investment cast seat lugs are right up there with the best and perfectly brazed.

As some thread or two on BF has noted, on the surface the 560 looks much more humble than it is. It is a very nice frame.

I have tried for several years to trade it on this thread, but to no avail. Maybe '501' just puts people off. But it has been said before that if you were riding it, you would not know the difference from 531 — unless you can feel the few grams difference in weight — which if you are not climbing mountains in grand competition (duh — this is not the new tech) it would [still] feel the same.

If I cannot trade it, and even though it is too small for me, I may build it up again using a Nitto Technomic quill stem and a set of bullhorns. It just feels to good to have it sitting in my storage room, and besides I shave an attachment for it. Integrity means something, even in an entry level racing frame.

Anyone wanting more info can PM me.

As for the OP — abstract: — this little rant is not meant to be detractive in regards to your choice in any way. I am sure you have made a most excellent choice that you will enjoy! — Lorne/Lenton

Last edited by Lenton58; 04-20-15 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 01:24 AM
abstract

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 560

lorne-

Thanks for the info on the Trek 560. I had not known any of this until now. The 560 sounds like a very solid and comfortable frame, despite any perceptions to the contrary. Perhaps someone soon who is searching for just such a frame will realize what a good ride it can deliver.

-abstract

Originally Posted by Lenton58
Thanks for your reply. I too have an Italian frame that I believe was made by Romani — asymmetrical in 56 ST x 54 TT — tight racing geometry but totally unflappable ... stable at any speed either in descent or in a crosswind. I think it could have doubled as a criterium frame and very likely did back in the days. If you get an italian frame in this vain — you'll love it!

BTW: all tubes on mine are Reynolds 531 — not Columbus. This is not of any significant consequence — just a point of irony

For anyone who is interested, the '85 Trek 560 was an entry level frame for serious racers on a budget. It is very stable and comfortable to ride on tubulars, but without any flexing that I can notice. My avatar shows me riding it some years ago.

'501' was a rolled and welded tube instead of an extrusion. True Temper tubing that are the stays should need no explanation. The forks are Tange mangalloy. This steels was excellently suited to mass production due to the tolerance this material had for heat without annealing into brittleness or losing temper. Moreover, IMHO, the Trek lug castings for the BB, DO's, head-lug, and especially the investment cast seat lugs are right up there with the best and perfectly brazed.

As some thread or two on BF has noted, on the surface the 560 looks much more humble than it is. It is a very nice frame.

I have tried for several years to trade it on this thread, but to no avail. Maybe '501' just puts people off. But it has been said before that if you were riding it, you would not know the difference from 531 — unless you can feel the few grams difference in weight — which if you are not climbing mountains in grand competition (duh — this is not the new tech) it would [still] feel the same.

If I cannot trade it, and even though it is too small for me, I may build it up again using a Nitto Technomic quill stem and a set of bullhorns. It just feels to good to have it sitting in my storage room, and besides I shave an attachment for it. Integrity means something, even in an entry level racing frame.

Anyone wanting more info can PM me.

As for the OP — abstract: — this little rant is not meant to be detractive in regards to your choice in any way. I am sure you have made a most excellent choice that you will enjoy! — Lorne/Lenton
Old 04-21-15, 01:30 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I want to build up a bike for a friend, and I have need of a large step-through or mixte frame (vintage or not). She is 5' 10" with long legs, so most step-through bikes I have seen would be too small for her.

I have a Raleigh mixte frame in decent shape with Raleigh 501 tubing I can provide details. I actually bought or traded to get it here, but never used it.

I also have a few other bikes/frames I am looking to liquidate, so I may have something else frame wise that you would like. Most road bike frames I have are in the 56-58 cm range, and nothing high end, but some good riders.

Local or semi-local would be best. I tend to wander down to the Lehigh Valley at least once a month, and will be at the Trexlertown swap next month.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-22-15, 12:37 PM
girafastyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Located in Portland, Oregon. Prefer to trade in person in the Pacific Northwest. I can't PM so please post in the this forum thread or email me at skycrawford@gmail.com)

HAVE: Late 80s or early 90s Jonkers (?) Track Frame--ST: 58mm ctc / TT: 56mm ctc

So, after a lot of internal debate, I've decided that this frame is way too small for me. Maybe I'm just getting old... That said, it's a hell of a lot of fun to ride! I bought it off Ebay about 10 years ago from a gentleman in Belgium that thought he had a Colnago, because of the clover cutouts on the lugs. I believe that it's a Jonkers frame from Belgium or the Netherlands. I've also been told that it's most likely some sort of Columbus tubing with a 27.0 seat post--decently light and feels good to ride. The trade is for the frame and two forks (original track fork and lugged Fuji fork for using a brake), Hattaswan headset, and BB. The frame is in need of a paint (no dents, just scratches and light surface rust), but I couldn't bring myself to lose the original white/red-ish pink fade, as it looks so rad!

WANT: 60-62mm Lugged Steel Track Frame

I'd like a similar quality track frame--lugged steel in a 60-62mm size. Don't really care about paint quality or pedigree, but I'd like a frame with a decent tubing set. I prefer undrilled fork/bridge, but I'm open.

I'm going to be putting up another frame up shortly, and I'm open to combining both frames in the trade to sweeten the deal for a nicer track frame. I live in Portland, Oregon and prefer not to ship. That said, I'm willing to meet up most anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. I could also facilitate a trade in Northern California / Bay Area, but it might take a bit of time.

More pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/516966...7651708107570/

Attached Images
Jonkers_Track_Bike.jpg (95.8 KB, 157 views)
Jonkers_Clover_01.jpg (96.4 KB, 141 views)
Jonkers_Fork_02.jpg (97.9 KB, 138 views)
Jonkers_Seat_Cluster.jpg (78.1 KB, 137 views)
Jonkers_Track_Ends.jpg (98.0 KB, 137 views)
Jonkers_Hattaswan.jpg (81.3 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by girafastyle; 04-22-15 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 01:56 PM
girafastyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Located in Portland, Oregon. Prefer to trade in person in the Pacific Northwest. I can't PM so please post in the this forum thread or email me at skycrawford@gmail.com)

HAVE: Early 70s MKM (Arthur METCALFE, Ron KITCHING & Wes MASON) British Lightweight--ST: 60mm ctc / TT: 57mm ctc

I have a early 70s MKM road frame that I bought a number of years ago from someone selling it as a Raleigh Professional. The bike had a late 60s / early 70s Nuovo Record group, with mismatched Mavic tubular wheelset. Check out more about MKM bikes here: MKM Bicycles on Classic Rendezvous . The bike is a very comfortable ride, but I'd like a slightly larger frame. There is some road rash on the right fork and a tiny dent on the left side of the top tube. I'm assuming these marks were caused at the same time, ie. fork hitting the ground and handlebar drops banging into the frame. That said, the dent was caused long before I owned the bike. I've ridden it extensively and the frame is straight and tracks perfect. Like I said, the dent is tiny (see pictures) and it's hard to find--took me a few minutes to find it again. The paint is very old and brushed on and there are no decals. The lugs are really pretty and the seat cluster with the fastback is classic. 27.2 seat post. Trade includes frame, fork, original Stronglight headset (not in pictures) and BB (missing lockring).

WANT: 62-64mm Vintage Road Frame (70s to mid-80s) European, North American or Australian

I'd like a similar quality vintage road frame--lugged steel in a 62-64mm size from the 70s to the mid-80s. Don't really care about paint quality or pedigree, but I'd like a frame with a decent tubing set like 531 or similar.

I just put up another frame (80s track), and I'm open to combining both frames in the trade to sweeten the deal. I live in Portland, Oregon and prefer not to ship. That said, I'm willing to meet up most anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. I could also facilitate a trade in Northern California / Bay Area, but it might take a bit of time.

More pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/516966...7652128527595/

Attached Images
MKM_Bicycle.jpg (96.7 KB, 151 views)
MKM_Head_Seat_Cluster.jpg (74.0 KB, 142 views)
MKM_Dent.jpg (71.2 KB, 142 views)
MKM_Head_Tube_Lugs_02.jpg (90.2 KB, 142 views)
Old 04-23-15, 08:41 AM
lord_athlon

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Have: 74ish Schwinn Voyageur II, 25". Frame is chrome plated and painted. The paint is in pretty bad shape. Would make a nice beater, or repaint. This is the only picture I have right now.

I ride something 55-58ish. I really like old schwinns.
Attached Images

Last edited by lord_athlon; 04-23-15 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 05:53 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Looking to swap for something in a 57-58cm.

Shogun 1000 Double Butted Tange Chromoly. Paint in good condition, no dents, dings. I lifted the Shimano Arabesque group from this frame.

Dimensions
62cm c2c ST
58cm c2c TT
35" SOH

More pics at link below
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yvbopz1yd...puX4XTtya?dl=0

Last edited by oddjob2; 04-25-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-26-15, 11:34 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts

Last edited by b dub; 06-01-15 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 12:14 PM
Cerrig

Bikes: '81 Gazelle Champion Mondial '83 Raleigh Touring 18 '85 Schwinn Cimarron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barn find pre-Canadian Sekine. Looks like it was purchased from a shop in suburban Chicago about 25 miles from where it ended up, so a pretty rare bird for these parts. Size is 23", a hair too small for me.

Randy Jawa has a picture of a similar one on his website. He says its a Japan made 71 Sekine GS, so we'll go with that. It was covered in 35 years of gunk, but cleaned up surprisingly well. I doubt it was used much, components look almost pristine. Very nice parts selection and great paint on a seemingly mundane frame.

Weinmann 27" x 1 1/4" alloy rims, Sanshin high flange alloy hubs, nicely made Dia Compe brakes, Sugino Maxy cranks with steel rock ring, nice Suntour downtube shifters, Suntour Spirt front der, Suntour V rear der, shorty fenders, KOBA Japan rear rack, funky quick release stem collar, SR stem, Sakae Road Champion bars. Only non-Japanese part besides the rims is the Soubitez front/rear light set. Tires are a crunchy mess, so I didn't ride it.

Looking for something in the 24" to 25" range, preferably with eyelets for a rack and fenders. A good mid to late 80s frame works too. I am in the far western suburbs of Chicago.
Attached Images
IMG_0167.jpg (100.5 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Cerrig; 04-28-15 at 05:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.