Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Changed metabolism

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ Changed metabolism

Old 08-28-14, 01:50 PM
Mike M

Bikes: Trek 8.5 DS, Trek 7900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ Changed metabolism

I'm now 55 and hit 235 and a 40 inch waist. In my 40's I weighed in about 210 with a 38" waist. Not much better but obviously girth is growing. In the past, some dieting and gym time doing cardio, I could drop the excess. No longer the case.

Used to ride a lot in my 20's and 30's and bought a new trek hybrid.

Hope to hear some stories about similar situations and ways to beat the 50+ blues.
Old 08-28-14, 01:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike M
. . .

Hope to hear some stories about similar situations and ways to beat the 50+ blues.
Ride the heck out of your bike and post often on BF
Old 08-28-14, 02:23 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The "only" way to loose weight is to eat less, smaller portions and no munching between meals--not easy to do but it is the safe way and keep riding!

After a couple of weeks you will see the difference and your body will get use to eat less.
Old 08-28-14, 02:27 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I'm now 55 and hit 235 and a 40 inch waist. In my 40's I weighed in about 210 with a 38" waist. Not much better but obviously girth is growing. In the past, some dieting and gym time doing cardio, I could drop the excess. No longer the case. Used to ride a lot in my 20's and 30's and bought a new trek hybrid. Hope to hear some stories about similar situations and ways to beat the 50+ blues.
You could be Low on Thyroid as i am.

Armour Thyroid and coffee works for me.

Old 08-28-14, 02:34 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
As you get older, your metabolism slows. As you put on more weight, your metabolism slows. It's a lose-lose situation. You should keep a food diary, logging everything you eat and the amount of calories you have consumed. It will open your eyes how fast you can consume calories. Weight loss is somewhat easy, burn more calories than you consume. The hard part is stopping the hunger, especially if you get the late night cravings. Try different things, frozen fruit for example, and eat that instead of something else. It will only get worse as you get older and heavier. Plan your rides to burn calories, and exercise will help curb your apatite. If you can, see a nutritionists, or at least do an internet search for a low calorie diet that will satisfy hunger.

Don't forget to have your coronary arteries checked for blockage, your blood pressure checked, and HDL/LDL levels too.
Old 08-28-14, 02:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

Could very well be!

Have you had a complete blood/urine work up? I had some issues and needed 1/2 of my thyroid removed along with a parathyroid tumor. Working on improving an anemia, some heavy metals and a T3 issue. High PSA again but that will be addressed after my Ironman.

Never did go for the, "it's all because of slow metabolism due to age", angle of thought. Eat really healthy, exercise regularly, keep up to date with body organ functions and the chemistry of the blood sure can help out.

Didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express so my thoughts could be meaningless for you. Good luck.
Old 08-28-14, 02:56 PM
VNA

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

I don't know what is "Armour Thyroid" but if that is a medication over the counter it is so incredibly dangerous.

Thyroid problems can only be safely dealt with by an endocrinologist and no one else.

Way too dangerous any other way.

Last edited by VNA; 08-28-14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 03:00 PM
BaysideBill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Mike...

Turned 59 today, so I hear you. It doesn't get any easier, does it? That said, it can be done. If you haven't done so, check out the Nutrition forum on BF. Some real good advice out there. Back in March I was pushing 170(I'm 5'5"). I started dieting (lots of quinoa and chicken), and doing some moderate resistance training with dumbbells. I'm not really a gym type of guy, so I bought a set of entry-level Power Blocks adjustable dumb bells. Developed a routine of 45 minutes every other day, and not particularly high intensity. Stuck with a diet of high, clean protein, low calorie type stuff...egg whites, chicken, fish, the quinoa,things of this nature that a bit of googling will spell out further for you. Stuck to my routine with the weights, again, structured enough to be effective, but not overwhelming to the point of being exhausted and/or discouraged, and kept my expectations in check. Lost 20 lbs. by June. It *is* harder for us older guys, but not as impossible as it seems when you first start out and everything is in front of you. Just keep at it, and set realistic goals. Actually just started riding after 40 years of not owning a bike. Again, I am only out there a few days a week, 45 mins to an hour to get some cardio that weight training won't provide. Lost a few more lbs. but I've levelled off a bit now.

It *is* doable. Best of luck to you, and do check out the Nutrition forum.

Regards, Bill
Old 08-28-14, 03:41 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Yo Mike, similar situation with me. I'm a fair amount older than you but until I retired there was no problem maintaining a svelt waistline and high school weight. I'm healthy and active but but it is very difficult to lose weight. I got up to 172 pounds as of a year ago from 156 pounds in spite of riding 3000 to 3500 miles each year. In the past year, calling on a superhuman effort to limit portion size, I've dropped back to 162 but it requires constant vigilance. The target is 156 again and a 33 inch waist. Basically, I want to look good in spandex and once again draw those oohs ahs of past eons. As VNA said above, watch how much you eat.
Old 08-28-14, 03:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
I don't know what is "Armour Thyroid" but if that is a medication over the counter it is so incredibly dangerous.
"Armour Thyroid" is thyroid hormone extracted from porcine thyroid glands. Rx only.
Old 08-28-14, 04:19 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I've been riding all my life it seems but more seriously with an obsession of going fast for the last 4 summers. I'm 5'9, 180lbs. My metabolism had a jump start with the diagnosis of significantly low thyroid and the proper dosing. Being athletic through the adult years has had a good effect on overall health and I am most grateful to the Lord for this. Am I getting slower at 56? No, quite the opposite.
Old 08-28-14, 04:31 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I noticed this issue in my 40's - exercise didn't have the same reliable effect. Got heavy and had/have a hard time getting it off. Still too heavy but working on it. Keep active and biking has been a the best exercise of all because it doesn't beat up the body like running or bball. It helps with the cardio, lungs and overall stamina - and the core. Lately been reducing carbs and focusing on eating protein (don't worry about fat at all) - sort of like an Atkins diet. That helps for me.
Old 08-28-14, 04:40 PM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Loss of muscle tissue accompanies aging and some of it never to return regardless of your workouts. Keep on truckin' to keep on flowin'.
Old 08-28-14, 04:40 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To ramp up the metabolism you need to do some running . You don't need to do alot of running each day , 30 minutes will do ..
Old 08-28-14, 04:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
.........(don't worry about fat at all)..........
Are there not good healthy fats and very bad fats********** All fats are not created equal.
Old 08-28-14, 04:59 PM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Are there not good healthy fats and very bad fats********** All fats are not created equal.
If you google the term "mangalitsa" as in mangalitsa pig, you'll read nowadays they're finding that pork fat, especially the mangalitsa's, is considered way healthier than lard. Go on and laugh.

I make my own sausage, patee and bacon all of the time and haven't gained weight. It's inactivity that makes me gain weight.
Old 08-28-14, 05:14 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think carbohydrates and sugars are the worst things for you. The way I understand it is that refined sugar and carbs are processed by the liver and turned into fat cells. Fat is not. If you're going to eat carbs and sugar, do so just before an activity and your body will use the fuel. If not, it will store the fuel as fat cells and you'll never get rid of them. I'm no nutritionists but that's what I've read.
Old 08-28-14, 05:18 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm now 55 and hit 235 and a 40 inch waist. In my 40's I weighed in about 210 with a 38" waist. Not much better but obviously girth is growing. In the past, some dieting and gym time doing cardio, I could drop the excess. No longer the case.

Used to ride a lot in my 20's and 30's and bought a new trek hybrid.

How many miles are you riding on each outing? How often do you ride?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-28-14, 05:46 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 72 and began riding a year ago after a 43 year hiatus. Since then I've put 5500 miles on the bike and dropped 20 lbs. My resting heart rate is now 50 bpm. I'm free of blood pressure medicine. You can do it no matter what your age. Go for it...ride!

Rich
Old 08-28-14, 08:07 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I started cycling fairly seriously about 7 years ago at age 58. I quit smoking, dropped 65 lbs, about 5 or 6 inches in my waist, and have kept it off. Last year, I rode a little over 6,100 miles between my two road bikes. I've never been known as an athlete. I started out being really proud of riding 5 or 10 miles on paved trails on my mountain bike. It can be done.
Old 08-28-14, 09:23 PM
VNA

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
"Armour Thyroid" is thyroid hormone extracted from porcine thyroid glands. Rx only.
Anyone with thyroid problems must consult the correct physician i.e. endocrinologist who can assess through blood analysis the state of one's thyroid anything else is way too dangerous.
Old 08-29-14, 12:38 AM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
I'm 72 and began riding a year ago after a 43 year hiatus. Since then I've put 5500 miles on the bike and dropped 20 lbs. My resting heart rate is now 50 bpm. I'm free of blood pressure medicine. You can do it no matter what your age. Go for it...ride!

Rich
+1
Old 08-29-14, 10:16 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
"...and doing some moderate resistance training with dumbbells." I find most of the resistance I encounter in life is from "dumbbells".
Old 08-29-14, 12:37 PM
ColnagoC40

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speeding up metabolism with thyroid meds RX, will it shorten recovery time after hard training?
Old 08-29-14, 01:20 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson

Rich
That's the way to do it - if you ride a lot and are careful about what you eat, the pounds will come off. No magic diets or specific workouts - just a lot of time in the saddle and reasonable (but not strict) dietary limits.

I actually eat *less* on days when I ride 50+ miles. I think the endorphins negate the urge to snack.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.