Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Trainer, rollers or both

Old 12-06-14, 09:14 AM
wens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably, may need slow rolling tires with lower air pressure.
Old 12-06-14, 12:45 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Kinetic by Kurt Road II trainer and it's pretty solid. I"m definitely a fan, but wouldn't recommend it for standing starts.
Old 01-06-15, 04:36 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Responding a bit late to an old thread, but here's the cycling equipment that I have in the basement/gym:

Lemond flywheel-type trainer - I never liked the handlebar set-up, but my wife uses it regularly.
CycleOps Fluid trainer - I don't use it much anymore, so it's collecting dust. I didn't care for the mounting and dismounting of the bike to the trainer.
Kreilter 2.25" mini rollers - my wife's rollers. It feels a bit unnatural to me until I am rolling at a high cadence. I would say it's not a bad choice to be at trackside.
Kreitler 4.5 rollers with 2 flywheels and a fan unit. It feels very road-like to me. This is my favorite piece of equipment. I either use a road bike with the fork stand or a track bike alone.
Sports Crafters Omnium trainer - my latest toy that I plan to use as a travel trainer. My wife made a custom bag to carry to make it easy to carry to those multiday track events. I included pics, since this might not be a popular item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SportsCrafter_Omnium.jpg (47.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-06-15, 07:12 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I've never seen anyone do high rpm rev-outs on the SportsCrafters Omnium in videos. Is it OK for that...or not so much?

Also, do you have the normal model (with resistance) or the "track" version (no resistance)?

Last edited by carleton; 01-06-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 11:28 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I've never seen anyone do high rpm rev-outs on the SportsCrafters Omnium in videos. Is it OK for that...or not so much?

Also, do you have the normal model (with resistance) or the "track" version (no resistance)?
I had to visit their website to figure out which model I have and it is the standard model. I would have been hard pressed to say mine has any resistence, but I guess it does. I haven't put my track bike on it to try any high rpm work yet, but I took it with me over the holidays to ride my road bike for an hour or so each night. It felt pretty much like a traditional set of rollers, but as a warning if you are riding with no hands those stabiizers are at the front fork, so just be careful not to reach too far to the side for the remote. Don't ask me how I know not to do this.
Old 01-07-15, 01:55 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While we are on the topic of roller-warnings; beware ear phones running from a lap top, while on the rollers. static electricity-discharge inside the ears is not comfortable, not to mention slightly surprising. (no roller accident, fortunately, but still one to avoid)
Old 01-07-15, 02:35 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
I had to visit their website to figure out which model I have and it is the standard model. I would have been hard pressed to say mine has any resistence, but I guess it does. I haven't put my track bike on it to try any high rpm work yet, but I took it with me over the holidays to ride my road bike for an hour or so each night. It felt pretty much like a traditional set of rollers, but as a warning if you are riding with no hands those stabiizers are at the front fork, so just be careful not to reach too far to the side for the remote. Don't ask me how I know not to do this.
Hahaha.

They have a converter where you can change out the normal for the track version: https://www.sportcrafters.com/produc...ium-track-sled

You may be able to ask them to swap them out for free.
Old 01-07-15, 02:43 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I'd vote for rollers if you have to choose one or the other. After a while, you'll be completely at ease on them and can get any kind of workout you want. They feel better, like you're alive. Main drawback is that they take up more space.
Old 01-07-15, 02:45 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
While we are on the topic of roller-warnings; beware ear phones running from a lap top, while on the rollers. static electricity-discharge inside the ears is not comfortable, not to mention slightly surprising. (no roller accident, fortunately, but still one to avoid)
There was 1 particular set of rollers notorious for this at the track. They are purple and look plastic, and there is a metal bike rack next to them that I have shocked myself on 1000 times. If you wait too long it can be a big shock too

Metal ones seem to be ok most of the time for me, never notice a shock anyway. Im sure there is a way to properly ground one's self while on them.
Old 01-07-15, 03:01 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
I hate riding in the house, it shows. But after riding rollers you are super smooth on the road. Once you master them and are able to do sprints and take your hands off of the bars, you would be amazed at how well you will be on the road.
Old 01-07-15, 10:12 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
There was 1 particular set of rollers notorious for this at the track. They are purple and look plastic, and there is a metal bike rack next to them that I have shocked myself on 1000 times. If you wait too long it can be a big shock too

Metal ones seem to be ok most of the time for me, never notice a shock anyway. Im sure there is a way to properly ground one's self while on them.
It's the plastic ones that do this. I've had both PVC and Aluminum drum rollers and only the PVC ones do this. Kinda fun to call someone over while doing a roller session, reach out, touch them, then watch them jump from the shock!
Old 02-26-15, 11:06 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick update, i finally decided to go for the Performance bike travel trac rollers. They are full aluminium drums and fold-able to carry them easily and if i still can ride easily the rollers, i will check to add the Kreitler wind resistance unit to them for when i am at home. I didn't find the exact diameter they are but i will measure it when i get them and give a quick review after after a couple ride. With the money i saved, i was able to buy more track gear and have more money saved for when track season start to pay for gas and stuff ( my local track is Bromont or else i have to go to Dieppe or Hamilton).
Old 02-27-15, 03:39 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob

Old post but reminds me of my experience in this. I borrowed someone's plastic rollers; found out the hard way that if you roll for a while and then touched the rack, you'll get shocked. So then I just rolled with one hand on the rack to prevent this (just keeping warm between races) and found that if you ground your body by keeping your hand on metal... well, you get shocked through the crotch. I got off those particular rollers after that and have never touched a plastic set again.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-27-15, 10:15 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Old post but reminds me of my experience in this. I borrowed someone's plastic rollers; found out the hard way that if you roll for a while and then touched the rack, you'll get shocked. So then I just rolled with one hand on the rack to prevent this (just keeping warm between races) and found that if you ground your body by keeping your hand on metal... well, you get shocked through the crotch. I got off those particular rollers after that and have never touched a plastic set again.

Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) - IMDb