Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Power meter shoes or insoles

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 01:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts

Wouldn't it be cool if your shoes were power meters? Better yet, how about insertable insoles that were power meters, and you could move them from shoes to shoes?

Is this a feasible idea?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-12-18, 03:00 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Yes.

There was a product in development a while from a company called Brew Brothers that interposed a strain gauge between a Speedplay cleat and shoe. They eventually shut down. And there's a Spanish company called Luck that's been developing a power meter incorporated into the sole of a shoe, but that's been vaporware.
Old 01-12-18, 04:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
That's how some of the running power meters work.
Old 01-12-18, 05:55 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not a power meter, but the same concept : https://www.digitsole.com/run-profiler/
Old 01-14-18, 03:37 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I was wondering that myself and was thinking power meter cleats. In the meantime I ordered power meter pedals instead. There must be too much variability in having them on your moving foot vs. having it fixed to the bike. Your foot can be going in any direction, but the pedal can only spin.
Old 01-24-18, 12:52 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Isn't there a system of pedals and cleats that are power meters?
Old 01-24-18, 12:58 PM
zacster

The pedals are the meters, the cleats are specific to the pedals. Keo cleats, or a very close equivalent, are used by the current systems. I ordered the Favero Assioma pedals which use standard Keo, and the Powertap and Garmin Vectors use a slightly different cleat, but Keos will work with them. There are other systems out there maybe, but these 3 seem to be equivalent to each other and the most popular.
Old 01-24-18, 02:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Isn't there a system of pedals and cleats that are power meters?
Yes. I have lots of bikes, and most of them have SPD pedals. I prefer SPD. In my fantasy, I wouldn't have to change pedals or shoes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-24-18, 06:19 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yes. I have lots of bikes, and most of them have SPD pedals. I prefer SPD. In my fantasy, I wouldn't have to change pedals or shoes.
Gotcha. Oh, well...

I like SPD, but never found a pair of shoes that were light with stiff soles. What shoes do you use?
Old 01-24-18, 07:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Gotcha. Oh, well...

I like SPD, but never found a pair of shoes that were light with stiff soles. What shoes do you use?
I have a few SPD shoes. I even have sandals. My favorites are made by Specialized, made for mountain bike racing. They're even good for hiking. They're not terribly heavy.

Old 01-24-18, 07:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

When Garmin was getting ready to release the original Vectors, they said an SPD version was in the works. Now Vector 3 is out, and there's no hint of an SPD version in anything they've said to anyone in years.

By and large power meters are a road (and tri) thing, not an MTB thing.

I used to use SPD pedals on my road bikes, and even had sandals, too. I'd use those to ride to a beach, swim for a while (the shore is rocky and they'd protect my feet), then ride home. I switched for a power meter.
Old 01-24-18, 07:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I really Really REALLY like SPD. I had the first Look cleats when they came out. I have SPD-SL on my track bike. Regular SPD is for me. I even have running shoes with SPD cleats. I know, it's a dumb idea, but I have them. And there are so many kinds of SPD pedals.

Old 01-25-18, 06:51 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Of course, there are other points where power can be measured. I saw one guy who has a crank-based power meter that he swaps between bikes because he says that's easier than swapping pedals between bikes.
Old 01-26-18, 02:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by adamrice
Of course, there are other points where power can be measured. I saw one guy who has a crank-based power meter that he swaps between bikes because he says that's easier than swapping pedals between bikes.
He moves cranks from bike to bike?

Old 01-26-18, 02:08 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Yup. Sounds weird to me too.
Old 01-26-18, 02:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I could imagine a cleat/sole power meter, although it could be complicated as one undoubtedly applies force at angles that are ineffective at transmitting power to the wheels, and riders with multi-phase strokes might be difficult to capture.
  • Push Power Stroke
  • Drag across bottom
  • Pull up on back side
  • Sweep across top.
  • Repeat
For this reason, a pedal meter has to have multiple sensors, and likely calibration. A cleat sensor would take a whole lot more calculations,and an insole sensor would likely only be partly effective measuring downward forces, but not other forces, or what part of the stroke the force is applied to the cranks (sensitive gyros?)

I'm surprised that so far there hasn't been a SPD power meter. I'd imagine there are quite a few "casual" riders that are just waiting for one to pop up, while most of the current manufacturers are stepping on top of themselves to come out with 3-bolt pedal meters. Are there any MTB and cyclocross riders that wish to use power? Perhaps the manufacturers don't wish to get their meters dirty.
Old 01-31-18, 10:15 PM
zacster

Tom, my power meter pedals finally shipped. You'd be welcome to give them a try once the weather gets better, but you'll need Keo shoes. They are easy enough to swap around, but you need something that can read them real-time. An iPhone with the right app probably can if you don't have a Garmin or Wahoo. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 02-01-18, 10:38 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by zacster
Tom, my power meter pedals finally shipped. You'd be welcome to give them a try once the weather gets better, but you'll need Keo shoes. They are easy enough to swap around, but you need something that can read them real-time. An iPhone with the right app probably can if you don't have a Garmin or Wahoo. Let me know if you are interested.
Sure, that sounds great. Are Keo the same as SPD-SL? I have a pair of the latter, though they may be too small. Still, I could use them briefly before pain becomes a problem.

I suspect my power output is low, but it's all about strength-to-weight ratio, right? I weigh about 160 lbs.

Old 02-01-18, 11:10 AM
Seattle Forrest

Power to weight is what matters going up hill. Power to frontal area is what matters on flat ground.
Old 02-01-18, 11:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Power to weight is what matters going up hill. Power to frontal area is what matters on flat ground.
Ah yes, of course. Well, I'm pretty good going up hills but not on flats. The average speeds people speak of seem unattainable to me. But I'm happy with how well I did on the Hillier Than Thou ride, which was full of very challenging hills.

Old 02-01-18, 11:38 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Look Keo are not interchangeable with SPD-SL, fyi...

and a Powermeter plus SPD sandals kinda made me chuckle a little. but hey, why not?
Old 02-01-18, 11:55 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Wouldn't it be cool if your shoes were power meters? Better yet, how about insertable insoles that were power meters, and you could move them from shoes to shoes?

Is this a feasible idea?
The aforementioned vaporware Luck shoes (2016 post): https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/...eter-shoe.html

Nothing about power meters on their site any more (that I can find): https://luck-bike.es/en/
Old 02-01-18, 01:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by superdex
and a Powermeter plus SPD sandals kinda made me chuckle a little. but hey, why not?
I agree it's kind of funny. But power meters are useful for more than just structured training. I know a guy who was heavyset and tried to lose weight for years. Finally started coming off of him when he bought a power meter. He knew an HRM wasn't a reliable way to know how many calories you burn on a bike, but didn't have a better way, and the guy bikes a lot.
Old 02-01-18, 03:32 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I agree it's kind of funny. But power meters are useful for more than just structured training. I know a guy who was heavyset and tried to lose weight for years. Finally started coming off of him when he bought a power meter. He knew an HRM wasn't a reliable way to know how many calories you burn on a bike, but didn't have a better way, and the guy bikes a lot.
Agreed -- it's all about finding what works. For me it's come down to the "duct tape over mouth" diet.
Old 02-02-18, 11:17 PM
zacster

In my case the HRM confirmed what was already happening, I was losing weight. I bike a lot too but my weight just stayed high, but then I had a good run in September starting with the NYC Century. 100+ miles a week seemed to be the ticket and once I started doing that the weight came off. Then when I put on my HRM and started using my phone with RidewithGPS, it was showing calculated calories too, and the count of the calories divided by 3700 (number of calories to burn a pound of fat), equaled my weight loss. My point here is that it can be accurate.

In any case, my Assioma power meter pedals are on a USPS truck somewhere in Brooklyn, and with these I'll get even more accurate calorie counts, and better training on indoor and outdoor rides.

And no, they are not SPD compatible, just Keo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.