Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recovery when riding every day?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Recovery when riding every day?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 10:53 AM
AdamD
Biker, Lover, Fighter

Bikes: My own hand built frames

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ccrew - I'm having similar problems. I recently started commuting 5 days, 15 miles each way, and then 1 good 40-50 mile ride on the weekend and maybe a short cruise on the other weekend day (I have no car so taking a day completely off the bike is hard). Prior to commuting every day I rode my bike 5-6 days a week for a total of about 200 miles a week, so I don't think it's a general fitness issue. The total mileage is actually a little less when I commute, however I'm feeling more fatigued in the evenings. I commute on a different bike than I used to ride when I was just riding for fun/fitness. So far I have 2 theories. The first is that the fit of the bike is HUGE. My commuter hasn't had a pro fitting like my road bike has and I think it's causing the majority of my fatigue. I'm getting a new commuter in less than a week that will have the same pro fit by the same guy that fit my road bike, so hopefully that will take care of the issue. The other theory is that two 15 mile rides a day might take more out of me than one 35 mile ride would. I'm interested in others thoughts on this as well.
Old 09-09-08, 11:06 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i am 29 and i ride 11 miles a day and run 3 times a week also
i find that on the days i know i am going to run i just make it an easier ride, i just slow down and give my body a break

sleep is definitely a good thing to stay on top of, i try to get 7 hours a night or so
beer seems like a wonderful recovery fuel

Old 09-09-08, 11:07 AM
gronk40

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Good suggestions, for sure. Unfortunately this is where the diabetes portion kicks in. If I carb load, my A1C and fasting sugar shoot through the roof. I can use energy during a ride, provided I can burn it off which becomes an issue with the commute. By the time it's hitting my system I'm pretty much at work.

Therein is my predicament. and a Guu with my am coffee isn't too thrilling to get it in sooner.
(Type 1 chiming in)

A1C is long term sugars ... carb loading with insulin that keeps the numbers spiking only briefly wll not affect A1C. I spike my sugars before hiting the bike and test when the ride is done. Low glycemic carbs will be activating as the muscles start hauling in the glucose insulin free.

Works for me. A1C 6.7.
Old 09-09-08, 11:09 AM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is 30 mile RT. Since I like to ride and play hockey over the weekend, the only way I can commute all week is to take a mid week day off. Usually Tuesday but sometimes Wed. or Friday even. I couldn't commute 5 days a week and still maintain an active weekend without taking a day or two off the bike during the week.
Old 09-09-08, 11:20 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 54 and bike commute 3-4 days/week about 22 miles RT. I also do at least one long ride each weekend, generally ranging from 40-70 miles. Often I will ride 4-5 days in a row, counting weekends, and my legs are definitely getting tired by then. I track my average speeds, and it's interesting how they will decline after several days in a row of riding.

The best recovery for me is to not ride but to get some other exercise that doesn't abuse my legs as much. That usually means walking or kayaking. However, if I have to ride a number of days consecutively, I work in some recovery rides. On recovery days, I ride at a slower pace, really take it easy on the hills and don't sprint for traffic lights. I usually ride at recovery pace on Fridays so my legs will be rested up for my longer and faster weekend rides. I don't know about you, but I have to consciously decide to ride at a recovery pace or I will end up pushing it too hard.
Old 09-09-08, 11:38 AM
Gonzlobo
Red light runner

Bikes: Seven Sola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 3x a week (25 miles round trip).

I could ride 5x if I slowed down, but I prefer to go as fast as possible, so I limit my rides to 3x a week. Otherwise I'd be completely spent.
Old 09-09-08, 12:02 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride between 16-22miles 4 days a week, depends if i have work. But i take a day off to rest, so far it's been fridays but i think i might switch it to my wednesdays for some good symmetry.

Age 24, and thin as a bean pole.

I could do the 5 days a week and the weekend riding, but i like to let my body recoup once a week with my new riding schedule till i'm acclimated to it, unfortunently that wil happen when the weather is going to start getting cold hahaha.
Old 09-09-08, 12:13 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I'd say you just have to move closer to work....

Seriously though, that's a pretty long ride and being a commute to work you're probably not doing it at a pace that you could manage all day. I know that at 55 and not being diabetic that riding that far a commute would leave me quite tired by the end of the week.

Can you find another spot to park and shorten the route slightly? Find a happy medium that lets you ride far enough that you don't suffer from the rundown by the end of the week. Driving in all the way once a week is one way but overall I think it's better to ride all the time and tailor the distance and pace. Even cutting down the distance slightly to give yourself the time so you can perhaps ride at a slightly slower pace would help.
Old 09-09-08, 01:09 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this would help with your T2, but I've been recently starting to work at my recovery times (job change in March gave me a RT of 66 miles, and I've not been able to ride the full distance consecutively yet due to fatigue, etc.).

I typically ride 160-260 miles a week depending on my recreational riding. Work accounts for a good 150/week, and I just turned 28.

I've been stretching a lot more after my rides, and I've been drinking a whey protein shake to try and fuel my muscle re-build more. I'm also doing some basic core workout stuff at home, and am trying hard to keep to a "smaller and more often" kind of meal plan, lots of carbs pre-ride and plenty of water throughout. Proteins during and after.

This has helped, the stretching in combination with the shakes has really seemed to boost me - I've had a recent couple of weeks of slump, but generally have been improving the whole summer both in feeling and actually during the ride (in terms of pace/tiredness).

In practicality a lot of this goes out of the window the minute I stop off at a buddies place for a beer, but I'm slowly getting into more of a 'healthy' routine to recover.

Sleep is my weakness, I love it but get far too little. This is by far my biggest problem.
Old 09-09-08, 01:15 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I'm 51,slow down,it's commuting.If you ride 10,14 mile races a week,your going to be tired at the end of the week.It may have something to do with your medical condition,I have no idea about that part.

I've been riding my bike everyday for 30 years,so after all this time,I was suppose to be taking breaks,getting 8-10 hours of sleep(That's a week right?),seeing doctors,getting my bike fit,eating special food,on and on....

Let's see,10 hours sleeping,3-4 hours it should take for commuting,9 hours at work,that's one whole hour left in your day to eat 2 meals,get cleaned up,play with the family,do things around the house...may have to cut down the sleeping a little(LOL!).

Sucks getting old,don't it!All I know is if I try,I can wear myself out by the end of the week by pushing too hard.If I wanted to race or ride hard(I don't),I would leave it for Sat. mornings when my body could have a days rest all day Sun.

Last edited by Booger1; 09-09-08 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 01:16 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I think no matter what you need rest days on occassion. I can ride for weeks almost exactly 28 miles per day and long ones on the week end. I take Sundays off usually. But sometimes I will start to get ready to ride, its is usually my thighs, and usually wednesday, thrusday or friday, that just feel tired. then I ride in with my wife in the car. Take a day off occassionally if possible.
Old 09-09-08, 01:38 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
Can you find another spot to park and shorten the route slightly? Find a happy medium that lets you ride far enough that you don't suffer from the rundown by the end of the week. Driving in all the way once a week is one way but overall I think it's better to ride all the time and tailor the distance and pace. Even cutting down the distance slightly to give yourself the time so you can perhaps ride at a slightly slower pace would help.
I feasibly could, but it starts then to get into the realm of not practical. The 26mi RT put me just outside the zone of stupid traffic and also HOV restrictions. Best I could do is about 10mi RT, but that three miles will add about 30 minutes to the commute in the car before I can get on the bike. I do run a dedicated MUP in except for the last three miles inbound\first three outbound which is on-road in heavy traffic where if you choke you die

I think the biggest thing is the recovery time and what's the best way to shorten it. Sure, I'm getting older and probably don't want to fully admit it, but I also don't want to be complacent and just accept it either.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It is nice to see I'm not alone and I hope this is also informative to others.

-Roger
Old 09-09-08, 02:06 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you say "long enough" what is that really? Here are some questions for you to consider.

1) Did you just get up one day and decide to start riding five days a week to and from work?
2) How fast do you ride? 80% of what you're capable of doing everytime?
3) Are you losing weight? If so, it means you are running at a calorie deficit.
Old 09-09-08, 02:38 PM
SlowRoller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also endorse the sleep and eating well ideas. But, one other thing I do is when I get home, I lie down with my back on the floor and with my feet elevated on the couch (usually while drinking a beer!). Redistributes the fluid built up in my legs from the ride. Like a previous poster, I also run and swim a number of times a week. I feel that the swimming helps stretch out all of the muscles that get bound up and sore from cycling/running.

It'd be great to hear what's working/not working for you as you try to find some solutions!
Old 09-09-08, 03:03 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Ok, Have to ask this one.

I ride a minimum of 28 miles RT bike commuting. Sometimes take a longer trip that works out to 46miles. Problem I have is that while I can sustain a decent pace, after a few days of it I'm flat whupped. Sore legs - just basically tired. Been doing it long enough that would have thought it would have worked itself out from a fitness standpoint but after 3-4 days commuting it's actually a grind - and not really enjoyable.

I will add that I'm a Type 2 diabetic, and 52 years old, and maybe I'm expecting my body to be in a younger fighting trim than what it is. I've bounced it off my doctor, and I get the impression he considers the way I am just fine and dandy since I'm able to come off almost all diabetic meds and the discussion ends there. I'd just like to be able to ride every day without A: fatigue or B: needing the weekend to just recover. FWIW, I ride either a Lemond road bike or a Trek MTB for the commute, so it's not the fit of a particular bike, and I've even had the road bike professionally fitted.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Ideas/flames/eye rolling accepted :-)

-Roger
I would think that your body is telling you something... maybe take a break by driving in on wed perhaps?
otherwise you have to do things like a competitive racer would do... vary the intensity of your ride.
this would require you to go pretty slow on "recovery days"...
Old 09-09-08, 03:51 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My short commute days are 30 miles r/t. You will have to experiment with carb levels vs. your meds vs. your exercise level. With my new commute distances this year, I am having to relearn this myself. I often drop very low on my commute home. I have been off of all meds for over 4 years and have managed to maintain normal HA1C readings. (5.6)

Experiment with your carb intake & timing. Keep your glucose meter with you at all times and test often. Even as much as every 30 minutes after eating the carbs to see how a given level of carb intake affects your glucose level. When your glucose peaks or drops etc... Yes, stop when riding to test! This is what I do when I have to readjust things due to changing circumstances. You can do it. You are the only one who knows your body. The only one who can conduct this experiment. Once you know how a given level of carbs affects your glucose with meds and your exercise level, you can make the necessary adjustments to fuel your body for your commutes while maintaining good glucose control.

Most of all, consult your diabetes care team for their advice. Let them know the issues you are having. They may need to adjust your meds as well.

Please let me know if I can help further.
(no, I am not a medical professional. I live this crap everyday.)
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 09-09-08, 04:10 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
When you say "long enough" what is that really? Here are some questions for you to consider.

1) Did you just get up one day and decide to start riding five days a week to and from work?
2) How fast do you ride? 80% of what you're capable of doing everytime?
3) Are you losing weight? If so, it means you are running at a calorie deficit.
I've been riding heavily for over a year. Average 200miles per week. Previous riding before commuting was more distance/loaded touring. Many century rides.

Started commuting running 2- more often 3 days a week. It's the ramp to 5x a week that's proving problematic. Average speed depends on which bike I ride, MTB in the 12mph range, Road bike in the 15mph range. Route is generally low grade hills with a few leg burners thrown in.

Not losing weight - much. Just a couple lbs. I'm 5"9" and just a touch under 180, so not a clyde - I do eat well. Smaller meals more frequently to reduce glucose spikes.

-R
Old 09-09-08, 04:22 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I've been riding heavily for over a year. Average 200miles per week. Previous riding before commuting was more distance/loaded touring. Many century rides.

Started commuting running 2- more often 3 days a week. It's the ramp to 5x a week that's proving problematic. Average speed depends on which bike I ride, MTB in the 12mph range, Road bike in the 15mph range. Route is generally low grade hills with a few leg burners thrown in.

Not losing weight - much. Just a couple lbs. I'm 5"9" and just a touch under 180, so not a clyde - I do eat well. Smaller meals more frequently to reduce glucose spikes.

-R
I'm 53, also Type 2. I try to ride as much as you do, even though I have a short commute. The best advice I've seen here is:
  • Eat carbs (mostly low GI) before you leave on your ride. For example: oatmeal with a little sugar (or raisin bran) for breakfast, whole wheat bread with peanut butter before you leave work.
  • Try riding a little slower and do not sprint, climb or do intervals unless you can rest the next day.
  • Talk to your doctor about your meds, as fatigue can be a side effect.
  • Experiment with more carbs for 3 months and see if your A1C really does go up. If it does, you can always cut back again.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-09-08, 04:44 PM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slow and steady wins the race.

I ride 34 mi. RT and I can do it two ways...one hurts and the other I don't even break a sweat. The time difference is little more than 10-15 min. at worst. If traffic lights are good to me the difference can only be 5 minutes.

I found out last winter that spinning more makes it easier, too. I'm talking 110 RPMs, here. funny to get used to, but once you do it's a delight. You just todder along, sweating, but never really burning. With a well balanced diet it makes it pretty easy.

Dont get me wrong, 5 days a week of it makes me suffer, too, but the more I spin and the less rushed I am to race in the less suffering I feel on the weekend. I often wake up just juiced on Sat. afternoon and need to go for a long ride to kill all the bouncy energy I have. My body just gets used to churning through more.

Oh yeah, and snacking. Snack on good things like nuts, oatmeal, some fruits...drink Emergen-C. Snack throughout the day. Never let yourself get ravaging with hunger, keep your "key" meals like lunch and dinner smaller with snacking, and your body will always feel ready to go.

My bro and pops are type 2, so I feel your pain. My bro is also the buffest dude I've ever seen...I'm talking WWF ripped, man. It's sick, but he's found the balance.
Old 09-09-08, 04:59 PM
dbelcher

Bikes: Novarro Big Buzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I empathize completely.

I'm 56 and Type II (although under control with exercise and limiting the carbs). I ride Mon-Thurs and average between 25 and 33 miles (depending on the route I take going in). I usually get a longer ride in on Saturday, so I total about 120-140 miles per week. I just turned over 3000 miles for the year.

I ride a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike (and a Specialized FSR Stumpjumper) and on the commute wear a pack with computer, clothes and gear (about 20 add'l pounds).

Like you, I have noticed that fatigue accumulates through the week. Sometimes, I just have to take a day off, and I find it helpful to force myself to alternate hard and easy days (easy is purposefully riding slowly, enjoying the scenery and spinning, not attacking, the hills).

Something that seems to help when my ride is going to exceed 1 hour is to drink Accelerade during the ride. It agrees with my stomach, and even though it's loaded with sugar, I haven't noticed any BG spikes. I mix it about half-strength and take two bottles - one for the ride in, one for the ride home.

I also don't "bonk" like I used to drinking just water. We're each unique, but I hope my experience gives you a little encouragement. We "old" guys need the encouragement . . .
Old 09-09-08, 05:05 PM
angelaharms
Spark of the Divine Fire

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Sole Ride 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I should bring this up in bikefree, but I keep reading about people taking a day off, driving in on Wednesday, and I think how that's a great solution if you can, but what if you can't? What if you've decided that you want a life that involves getting places under your own power.

Surely there's an alternative to just not biking... slowing down? Rethinking priorities, changing jobs?
Old 09-09-08, 05:10 PM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by angelaharms
I guess I should bring this up in bikefree, but I keep reading about people taking a day off, driving in on Wednesday, and I think how that's a great solution if you can, but what if you can't? What if you've decided that you want a life that involves getting places under your own power.

Surely there's an alternative to just not biking... slowing down? Rethinking priorities, changing jobs?
Does public transportation violate your code?

You can always stick your thumb out or ask for a ride..

If you're dead set on doing it yourself then about your only choice is to grab some Gu and HTFU!!!
Old 09-09-08, 05:48 PM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a 45 year old Type 1 diabetic who does a 20 mile RT daily commute and a long weekend ride of 60 to 70 miles. With basic precautions (unless you have some complicating condition) your Type 2 shouldn't cause you to have low blood glucose events with your ride times for 14 miles. I think you said that you were off of all diabetes meds? That's even more reason to go forward with your riding... even oral Type 2 medications can cause hypoglycemia when coupled with exercise. If you're on meds, talk to your doctor about changing your dosing regimens... time of day, dose size, splitting doses, etc.

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
This months Bicycling Magazine has an article on cycling with type 1 diabetes. They also mention Type 2. I'm not sure if the recommendations apply for both types.
No No No. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are very different diseases. They are so different in their treatment that I often wish that they had different names to eliminate confusion. People are often confused because of people who neglect their Type 2 diabetes... they often get so bad off that their Type 2 begins to show Type 1 complications and requires more aggressive Type 1 treatments like insulin injections.

I've bounced it off my doctor, and I get the impression he considers the way I am just fine and dandy since I'm able to come off almost all diabetic meds and the discussion ends there.
Your doctor has a common attitude among physicians today... and it's very understandable. They see patients every single day who complain that they need a scooter chair to get to their 'fridge... so that doctor simply can't relate to someone who says that they get tired after only 75 or 100 miles on the bicycle that week. Go find a doctor who has two qualifications:
  • Practices endocrinology, and preferably only treats diabetes.
  • Is an athlete himself. My doctor is a triathlete who finished 3rd in the 60-64 age group in the Hawaii Ironman three years ago... he understands me and my athletic goals.

Originally Posted by westsam
I would say you need to get another doctors opinion because you are to young for this fatigue thing to be happing in your life.
Word. You are waaaay too young to be running out of gas like that. Sure... I sometimes feel slower at the end of the week, but not wiped out. You should be able to find a solution to this problem.

If I was a betting man... I'd put my money on your sleep habits being the root of your problem. For someone who rides as much as we do, 6 hours simply isn't enough sleep.
Old 09-09-08, 07:53 PM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by angelaharms

Sure. Walk. Take public transit. Either one is fine, and if you're car free, sometimes there's just no choice... if you're too sick to bike to work, you're too sick to work at all, and you had better take mass transit to a doctor.

Thankfully, the OP isn't in that position

And it sounds to *me* like more sleep, shooting for 4 days a week, and help from a more appropriate doctor should get the OP into a much better position. I know it can take me quite a while to ramp up miles, and I'm relatively healthy.
Old 09-09-08, 08:40 PM
Pdxpark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem I have is that it seems as though when I hit the fatigue wall, it takes more than one day to recover. I'd certainly entertain ideas on ways to hasten the recovery time!
Roger
Roger I would do some research of Adrenals. Adrenal Fatigue was been a huge issue for me a few years ago. Long story short, the Adrenals have a direct link to your energy especially when exercising.
You saying your fatigued and taking a day to recover is similar to what I started experiencing when my Adrenal Fatigue hit me. Most people experience some degree of Adrenal Fatigue.. dips in energy around 3 pm is an example. When I would try to exercise before I realized my Adrenal Fatigue was getting worse, I would need to take a nap about 2-3 hours after running. Or at times, I just felt so tired, like nothing to get me going until about a day later.
You might find an Adrenal Supplement might help, nothing with Bovine in it.. as that might be too strong.

Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.