Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Back on the bike tonight after 2 weeks out of the saddle!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 11:48 AM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just getting over a cold / flu that kept me off the bike for the last 2 weeks. I was really hitting my stride on my last ride 2 weeks ago on the local loop. I was putting down my fastest times ever. Problem is I felt so great I decided to do an extra 10 miles and 1200' which meant I was out riding until 9:30pm and it got pretty cold and I caught something.

So I actually went out and picked up a riding jacket and I'm ready to put down the miles.

How long does it take to get back to the same speed and distance after taking 2 weeks off. I haven't taken this much time off since I started riding and I'm hoping I don't die after the first 20 miles.
Old 04-01-15, 11:58 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I also have been out of the saddle more than I like and for me I can usually catch my stride within the first 10 minutes after being warmed up.

For me I rode this last Saturday, the Saturday before that, and a few rides from then to the first of March. I do struggle to catch my stride if I still have a hint of the crud (especially head or chest congestion) as I find myself without the endurance I had before getting sick.

Good luck to you, and have fun
Old 04-01-15, 03:20 PM
mikiek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The toughest thing for me is to get motivated again. When I finally muster up the initiative, I find I really haven't lost much.

Just make dang sure you are over your illness. When I get respiratory problems, I find that I just don't breath clearly. That can make it feel like you have lost all your previous gains. In reality, you are just not able to suck up as much air as before so you may feel very winded.
Old 04-01-15, 03:36 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I still have a little lingering chest congestion so although I'm not 100% I need to ride. I guess I'll just take it easy the next couple of rides until I am.

Thanks for the tips.