Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How much to increase milage at a time

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 07:39 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts

Do to being out of shape and the bad weather I started out doing a mile (cold seems to make it harder to breath right)if I got time I would do it more than once a day. Then I upped it to 1 1/2 then 2 and tonight 2 1/2 Is gaining 1/2 to a mile a week enough ? I have also been working out the bugs in my bikes too
Roy
Old 02-12-13, 08:01 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
There's not any set rule. It'll depend on your condition, your terrain, weather, etc. It'll also depend on what limits your range- legs or lung/heart or saddle comfort or what. But generally, if you feel good, go for it, if you're getting too out of breath, slow down or pick a more level course. If your legs are the limiting factor, try lower gears and spinning faster, or raising the seat if that helps.
Old 02-12-13, 08:45 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
At this point don't think mileage, go for saddle time. After you get to where you can ride for an hour at a time, then you can start paying attention to miles or speed. I find that in the cold it takes me longer to get in a good balance of cadence and breathing than when it is warm, so give it some more time. The first ten miles always feel the worst to me, then everything starts to get right.
Old 02-12-13, 08:50 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
General rule of thumb is to increase milage by 10% per week. Are you experiencing any pain or discomfort after your rides? If not you might want to push a little further.
Old 02-12-13, 09:03 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
There are a lot of 'rules of thumb' like 10% a week or 50% for a single ride. Key is don't make yourself so miserable you want to quit.

I think a good strategy is to ride a particular route repeatedly until it becomes easy, like every other day for a week or two, then increase that distance by no more than 50%. That's the rule of thumb I use when working with youth groups, and it has worked well.

Rest days are important also, particularly when you've upped the distance.
Old 02-12-13, 09:19 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ignore rules or guidelines for now.

ride every chance you can, go as far (long) as you can. Have fun. Do it again tomorrow. Push very now and again to see what's actually possible. Have fun.
Old 02-12-13, 10:25 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by vesteroid

ride every chance you can, go as far (long) as you can. Have fun. Do it again tomorrow. Push very now and again to see what's actually possible. Have fun.
+1.

Old 02-12-13, 10:31 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
this isn't running, here there aren't rules. Just go ride for an hour, see how far you go. If worried do laps around the block many times. Then pick bigger blocks.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-13-13, 06:56 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Because this is such sensible advice I will echo it too!

Plumberroy, you mentioned working out bugs in your bikes too. What kind of bugs? Is it fit issue or mechanical issues? Fit problem really held me back when I was starting and even though I got lots of good suggestions online, I did not solve the fit issues until I actually went and had a professional help me.
Old 02-13-13, 07:26 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
Your legs will tell you how fast to proceed.
My rule of the thumb is-
Just enough so that you very slightly feel it in your legs and still want to do a bit more the next day.
Don't cause yourself enough discomfort that it isn't fun. You might try adding another block or 2 per day.
Just make sure to keep the smile on your face.
Old 02-13-13, 08:40 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
When I got back on the bike after a couple of years not riding, I upped the mileage quickly when I began (Summer 2011). I started off with a 2 mile ride, then 3, 5, 8, 12 for the following rides. Held at a 12 mile loop for a while because it was a convenient route, with occasional 20+ miles rides. But I had done such riding before and my body knew the routine. If you haven't done such riding before, I suggest upping it at a modest amount, as the others have suggested. Don't ever push yourself to the point where you stop enjoying it. (Though, believe it or not, there comes a point where you actually enjoy pushing yourself hard and look forward to steep hills)

My usual short evening ride these days is 20-25 miles, with 40+ rides most weekends.
Old 02-13-13, 09:04 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts

What he said. Saddle time and not miles is what counts.
If I go back and look at my spreadsheet that I kept I didn't go by any 10% rule. The first 2 weeks;

10 miles (1 hr 8 min)
rest (Walking)
10 miles
rest (Walking)
29 miles
10 miles
rest (walking)
25 miles
rest (walking)
12 miles
40 miles (4 hr 26 min... OUCH a 9 mph avg!!!)
5 months later a solo unsupported 'what the hack lets try it' century in 7 hr 19 min

271 hours (2465 miles) in that first 6 months. I never thought I'd put that many miles on a bike in a year (2011)
Old 02-13-13, 10:55 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Push hard, have fun. If it stops being fun you went to far.

One thing I did do is when my legs started hurting for more than one day I'd take a few days off until all discomfort stopped. This worked out better than pushing through the discomfort. I was 53 when I started so age might have played a roll in recovery time.
Old 02-13-13, 11:13 AM
slowpedaller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job getting out there every day or more. That is work when its cold. All progress is progress, and is building your fitness. In a couple weeks, if a really nice weather day comes along, maybe you will decide to suddenly add a bit more, and go for a longer ride, and you will have build up some base miles to do it.
Old 02-13-13, 11:19 AM
youcoming

Actually jsigone there are 91 rules, #5 being the most versed. This is of course in jest on my part.....or is it. lol

https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Old 02-13-13, 11:23 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

That's it. If it's not fun you'll stop doing it and then whatever you've done to date ends up wasted.

If you can find something to give you a reason to strike out a little further at a time that can be a good thing. For me I used a bike to go geocaching beyond normal walking range of home - and as I had to go further and further to find the ones I hadn't already found so my endurance built up without me really noticing.

Now I don't go geocaching all that much but every once in a while will pick on one or two as targets, as a way of taking in a specific ride and giving me a reason not to wimp out if it gets a bit tough along the way.
Old 02-13-13, 06:29 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Originally Posted by goldfinch
Because this is such sensible advice I will echo it too!

Plumberroy, you mentioned working out bugs in your bikes too. What kind of bugs? Is it fit issue or mechanical issues? Fit problem really held me back when I was starting and even though I got lots of good suggestions online, I did not solve the fit issues until I actually went and had a professional help me.
My old bike wasn't shifting quite right. I posted over on the vintage questions area , most where not imprssed with it I had it checked out at a local bike shop he declared it safe and found me a used set of shifters and a 6 speed free wheel . it is running fine now. I bought a surly steamroller of craigslist like new bike. I am dialing in seat and handlebars. I have a little bigger freewheel on order etc. . I have an old concord freedom twelve that I changed into a single speed I am playing with getting the right cog on it etc.
I didn't get out today got hit in the parking lot scratched my car had to run for meds and we got 1" or so of snow
Thanks for all the reply's I love to ride just have to force myself to make time
Roy
Old 02-13-13, 06:42 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
Actually jsigone there are 91 rules, #5 being the most versed. This is of course in jest on my part.....or is it. lol

https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
o I'm aware of these rules and don't comply to #62 (watching painted lines is boring compared to my MTB and riding singletracks)
And admit I'm a common user of rule #10 and #20
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-13-13, 08:02 PM
DiscTruckerMF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stick with it long enough and one day you are gonna look back and laugh at how you started with only 1 mile and upped it to 2 and worried if making the jump to 4 was too much too soon!
Old 02-13-13, 11:28 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I also advise gradual increases in time on the bike. Minimize coasting. Focus later on miles/speed/hills. I like the 10% rule. I've broken it, and had some nasty overuse injuries requiring complete rest from the bike to heal.

Increasing your bike time is more than just improving your cardio system and leg strength/stamina.
You are also teaching your body how to handle heat, how to fuel and hydrate while exercising; you're getting your butt accustomed to the saddle, building up your posture and stabilizing muscles, toughening up your joints.
You may find that some gear/attire that is fine for 2 mile rides is uncomfortable at 10 miles, miserable at 30, and unbearable at 50.
It's much more pleasant to learn these on shorter rides.
There is also some psychological toughening and learning going on too.
Old 02-14-13, 06:17 PM
plumberroy

lost me at rule #11
Small victory today the local bike/walking path is a vetrans park there is parking at the top along the road for vets and seniors the rest have to park in the lower lot and walk up stairs or a ramp. First ride three weeks ago it was all I could do to make the ramp on my raleigh 15 speed in lowest gearing . I usually ride along the road to the high lots and come down the ramp to cross at the light . tonight a road my old single speed out for a test . it was close to dark so I went to the lower lot to keep off the main road in low vis jacket. I figured I would charge the ramp pedal as high as possible walk the rest . When I topped the ramp I was still on the bike so I am making gains
Roy
Old 02-15-13, 10:38 AM
RonJones

Bikes: Colnago CLX 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As many mentioned there are rules of no more than 10% increase a week. I felt (yes past tense) the same as some on here that you should ignore that - man up and just ride. So I bought a new road bike (upgraded off of a hybrid) and so fell in love that I went from riding 100 miles a week to 200 miles a week. I also broke another rule about modifying your own fit. Due to breaking these two rules I fell victim to "Handlebar Palsy" (where you have nerve damage in your hand that can be anything from numbness to losing use/control of fingers). This started with just numbness and I basically ignored it and kept pushing - in fact pushing harder. This lead to me loosing use of my pinkie which then started concerns and a trip to a sports doctor. The answer was to "stay off the bike for at least 2 weeks".

So I hope that someone can learn from my stupid mistakes and not just ignore these rules of thumbs. They are there becuase others have preceeded us and learned lessons that can help as we try to follow in their footsteps.
Old 02-15-13, 05:42 PM
plumberroy

Unless the weather is just to bad I try to ride a little every day. My legs reminded me all day today of the hill yesterday, so I only did 1 1/2 miles today but I did ride . beside that it is fricken cold today
Roy
Old 02-18-13, 09:02 AM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RonJones
As many mentioned there are rules of no more than 10% increase a week. I felt (yes past tense) the same as some on here that you should ignore that - man up and just ride. So I bought a new road bike (upgraded off of a hybrid) and so fell in love that I went from riding 100 miles a week to 200 miles a week. I also broke another rule about modifying your own fit. Due to breaking these two rules I fell victim to "Handlebar Palsy" (where you have nerve damage in your hand that can be anything from numbness to losing use/control of fingers). This started with just numbness and I basically ignored it and kept pushing - in fact pushing harder. This lead to me loosing use of my pinkie which then started concerns and a trip to a sports doctor. The answer was to "stay off the bike for at least 2 weeks".

So I hope that someone can learn from my stupid mistakes and not just ignore these rules of thumbs. They are there becuase others have preceeded us and learned lessons that can help as we try to follow in their footsteps.
Handlebar palsy was also the major injury I got from increasing my mileage too fast.
Both hands were affected but my left hand was so bad I couldn't button clothes, operate a zipper, hold a dining utensil, use a pen, twist a doorknob or use a key.
I took 2 weeks off the bike to regain use of my hands for daily living. 3 years later a nerve conduction study showed minor but permanent damage both hands.
Old 02-18-13, 09:38 AM
youcoming

I gave the 10% increase based on a lot of posts here and geared towards non active people becoming first time cyclists. Going from riding the couch to a bike is a huge jump in activity and I want people to start and stay riding not start and stop from injury or realization that this lifestyle is hard! If you we're active but a Clyde like myself, sure bump it up quicker. Personally I went from 10k to 15 to 30 then joined a club and first group ride was 116k, I thought I was going to die! I was likely lucky to not injure myself but I kept coming back for more pain. I truly believe push your body to the limit but listen to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.