Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kleen up solvent

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Kleen up solvent

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 07:00 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kleen up solvent

Local food coop had this with the weekly haul.

Can this stuff be used to clean the drive chain?

Ingredients here:

https://images.hillyard.com/IMAGES/M...DSHIL00437.pdf
Old 04-29-17, 07:08 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Ingredient list shows benzene, 3 flavors. Bad stuff. That has to be the most dangerous thing in the FOOD COOP. No wonder they were trying to get rid of it. Take this stuff back and trade for some organic yogurt. Just use kerosene or mineral spirits to clean the chain. Do it outside.
Old 04-29-17, 07:14 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
That's some toxic ****e right there. Reckon it might be for stripping floor polish or something... "recommended for use in closed systems"
Old 04-29-17, 07:18 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It doesn't contain benzene but has some benzine derivatives that aren't as harmful but still not good for you. The worst feature is the low flash point (108ºF) which makes it quite dangerous around any open flames or heat source. I agree with grizzly59, return it or discard it as a hazardous waste.
Old 04-29-17, 09:32 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Hillrider's right: benzene toxicity is due, in some part, to the fact that the liver can't break down benzene to allow excretion. Adding two or three methyl groups, or a methyl and an ethyl group, gives the liver some handles to work with and makes the derivatives in this kleaner much less toxic. The tri and di-methyl benzene, and the methyl ethyl benzene are all in this product.

Unfortunately, the metabolites resulting from inhaling min spirits (which is in this product) appear to interfere with the clearance of TMB.

Not sure, though, why you'd want to use this as parts cleaner. I've had good luck with odorless min spirits. Much less toxic, cheaper, etc. Put it this way: if you have parts on a bike that require more solvent power than min spirits, you've done something very wrong at some point.

Second last point: TMB is used as a paint thinner. Might remove dried/cured paint. Min spirits is safer on this count.

As a chemical engineer who's job it is to figure out how drugs and toxins affect people, I'd say that I'd avoid this stuff unless a specific need for it mandated it's use.
Old 04-29-17, 06:53 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!