Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter apparel

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter apparel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 12:16 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Winter apparel

Outdoor clothing with Polartec PolarfleeceŽ from NOMAR in Homer Alaska I came across this web site on a hiking forum where I also spend some time. Some of the clothing is made for Alaska winter fisheries workers. I would guess it is of high quality. There are several items of interest to me and maybe to some others here.
Old 01-16-16, 06:28 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here is a company that outfitted the base layers for the Seahawks and the Vikings when they played in below zero temperatures last week.

HEATRŽ Ski Socks - WSI Sports manufactures high performance clothing Proudly Made in USA
Old 01-16-16, 10:47 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For layers under the wind/rain proof shells I have tried a lot of the modern "wonder" fabrics.

I gave up on all of them and now use the original "super" fabric through the ages. Merino Wool. The scientists are nowhere near keeping humans at the same comfort levels that God created long ago.
Old 01-16-16, 11:48 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Be careful using stuff made for one activity for another. Where I notice this, for example, is a lot of hunting gear is basically made for sitting around- but if you're active, you need layers rather than one heavy garment. Consider also how bulky or packable the material is, that's important in some activities, not in others. Camo's great if you're not wanting to be seen, terrible if you are. Stuff flapping in the breeze is fine if you're walking around, not so good on a bike.
Old 01-17-16, 01:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 3,369 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Be careful using stuff made for one activity for another.
I can tell what is NOT a good combination. Don't use a boating paddle jacket as a cycling rain slicker... EEEWWWW!!!!

Each place will be a bit different. We have a lot of winter weather in the 30's and 40's. Occasionally down to the mid 20's at night.

I'm usually good with just a single layer of fleece or sweater + cycling jacket. If it gets cold, I zip up. Warmer, I open it a bit more. I do like waterproof ski gloves, but don't get too excited about warmers.

Good weatherproof winter cycling shoes are great.