Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Had a good chat with the police

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 11:48 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A couple days ago. I had e-mailed the District Commander of the local district of the county police. Not about any infractions. But curiosity about how a person should react to certain traffic signals. Near my house there a several traffic signals with right-turn arrow signals, and I had wondered if the 'right-turn on red' applied there, and in several other locations.

Today, I unexpectedly received a call from an officer who works solely on bike issues. He answered my signal questions and understood why I 'take the lane'. Because, Even though the 3ft.-passing law, was passed in 2010. The officer reiterated what I already knew. That there are those motorists' that still don't even know about the law. Then there are those motorists' that know, but don't care about, the law.

I also had a good talk with the officer about catching motorists' on video when they make a close pass. Also, How the state legislators are resistant to put it in the state code that a cyclist's video can be submitted as evidence.
Old 09-15-15, 06:50 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
So, what is the answer to your right-turn arrow signals?

In Massachusetts, right turn on red after stop (or left turn on red from one-way to one-way) is permitted with a red arrow UNLESS accompanied by a NO TURN ON RED sign.

In practice in Massachusetts, right turn on red without stop (or left turn on red without stop) is pervasive EVEN when accompanied by a NO TURN ON RED sign, pedestrians in crosswalk be damned.

It's gotten so bad that they are trying ACTIVE no turn on red signs.

Still doesn't work.

(For amusement, see how many traffic problems you can find in this picture. Everyone was distracted by Google Street View, yeah, that's the ticket.)

-mr. bill
Old 09-15-15, 07:40 AM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
(For amusement, see how many traffic problems you can find in this picture. Everyone was distracted by Google Street View, yeah, that's the ticket.)

-mr. bill
So many problems! So many opportunities for education.
Old 09-16-15, 08:04 AM
Lanovran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Why is there a sharrow painted directly over the stripe between lanes? o_O
Old 09-16-15, 03:49 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

In Massachusetts, right turn on red after stop (or left turn on red from one-way to one-way) is permitted with a red arrow UNLESS accompanied by a NO TURN ON RED sign.
Oregon's law is the same. However, our vehicle code first tells you that it is not legal to turn right on a red right turn arrow, with some exceptions. You have to look at a different statute to find that one of the exceptions is making a right turn, as long as there isn't a NO TURN ON RED sign.
Old 09-17-15, 12:50 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
-mr. bill
I called the local district back today. There is no 'no right turn on red' sign. So I can still make a right turn.

Last edited by Chris516; 09-17-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-21-15, 10:20 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I tend to have a good chat all the time with officers, even those where I am being critical. The fact that I live in a small town of under 10,000 with an agriculturally based economy and a tourist trap economy nest to the freeway exit has little bearing on the efficacy of that relationship--I just got to know them, of necessity and then from having gone to school with several of them.

You should try this.
Old 09-22-15, 09:17 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I tend to have a good chat all the time with officers, even those where I am being critical. The fact that I live in a small town of under 10,000 with an agriculturally based economy and a tourist trap economy nest to the freeway exit has little bearing on the efficacy of that relationship--I just got to know them, of necessity and then from having gone to school with several of them.

You should try this.
Sometimes face-to-face, they just aren't helpful because they can't understand the specifics I am focused on and I just give up on asking them. But in general, the face-to-face interactions, are pleasant. Sometimes on the phone, when it comes to traffic law. If feels like I am talking to children.

But all that is beside the point.

Mentally, In the face-to-face interaction I was referring to. I started doubting myself, by thinking there was a 'No Right Turn On Red' sign. When I never recalled seeing one at the traffic light in question. Since that is a high-traffic light. I was coming from the concern of possibly being ticketed for making an illegal right turn.
Old 09-23-15, 02:45 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You need to move to a smaller town. One of the officers here became a police officer after a construction accident left him without a job, I went to school with him...and heck, I went to school with a number of them or have known some for over 30 years...

PS Our biggest problem right now I possibly that since marijuana was legalized in Oregon but another law allowed the areas that voted in the majority against it to still ban sales it's a mishmash.

Mind you, I decided when I was young that I didn't like smoking anything and that pot was illegal but cheeseburgers were not so THEREFORE overeating was more easily condoned and no, you cannot have my bacon or take half my fries
Old 09-23-15, 03:55 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to move to a smaller town. One of the officers here became a police officer after a construction accident left him without a job, I went to school with him...and heck, I went to school with a number of them or have known some for over 30 years...
I nearly fell out of my desk chair from laughter when I read this. I live in a town of 500 people. How much smaller of a town would you recommend, lol?
PS Our biggest problem right now I possibly that since marijuana was legalized in Oregon but another law allowed the areas that voted in the majority against it to still ban sales it's a mishmash.
The bike laws/ordinances are a mishmash here.
Mind you, I decided when I was young that I didn't like smoking anything and that pot was illegal but cheeseburgers were not so THEREFORE overeating was more easily condoned and no, you cannot have my bacon or take half my fries
You did it again, lol!!!! I don't smoke either.